• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Foo Fighters Are Classic Rock Now (?)

giphy.gif

Saw them two weeks ago....still put on a fantastic show

When I was growing up listening to the radio, the bands considered classic rock spanned anywhere from the late 60s to mid 70s... and that was the early to mid 80s. So at best we're talking about songs that were 15 years old (I guess older if you count early Beatles, Stones, or Who), and at worst about 6-7 years old. It seems crazy to me to apply that same time frame now. FF first album came out 23 years ago. Duran Duran's "Rio" came out 36 years ago. BKF's favorite band Cinderella had their debut 32 years ago. DLR left Van Halen 33 years ago. I could go on and on, but the gist of it is I guess I'm officially old.

Welcome to getting older, OP. Soon enough FFs will be considered oldies.

Welcome to getting older, OP. Soon enough FFs will be considered oldies.

I miss actual oldies. As in pop music from the 50's and 60's - doo wop and mop tops and motown and whatnot. Now that I drive to work, I toggle between streaming and over-the-air radio and the "oldies" station only plays 80s. Would it kill you to play some fucking Dion or Sam Cooke?

classic rock as ELC described it is now dad rock

When I was growing up listening to the radio, the bands considered classic rock spanned anywhere from the late 60s to mid 70s... and that was the early to mid 80s. So at best we're talking about songs that were 15 years old (I guess older if you count early Beatles, Stones, or Who), and at worst about 6-7 years old. It seems crazy to me to apply that same time frame now. FF first album came out 23 years ago. Duran Duran's "Rio" came out 36 years ago. BKF's favorite band Cinderella had their debut 32 years ago. DLR left Van Halen 33 years ago. I could go on and on, but the gist of it is I guess I'm officially old.

I felt officially "old" about fifteen years ago. I was flipping through the channels and landed on a PBS station with Patti LuPone doing a show. I heard her say, "I'm going to finish with a classic."

After a few notes, I knew the song was "Time After Time". That's a classic? Tony Bennett is a classic. The Beatles, The Who, Stones are classics. If the song your buddy wrote is a "classic", it sure makes you feel old.

Why can't classic rock be classic rock and the Foos be called something else? Why is Alternative Rock not what they are called? Has that genre changed so much that they don't fit?

What's "alternative" about Foo Fighters ? They did the theme song for a network TV show. Their songs are used in sports pregame shows. They had a show on HBO FFS.

I mean...the Wiki: "Foo Fighters have been described as alternative rock, post-grunge and hard rock. When Grohl first started the band, its music was often compared to that of his previous group, Nirvana. Grohl acknowledged that Nirvana singer/guitarist Kurt Cobain was a major influence on his songwriting."

What category does the Grammy Awards put them in ? That's the true measure.

Why can't classic rock be classic rock and the Foos be called something else? Why is Alternative Rock not what they are called? Has that genre changed so much that they don't fit?

Doesn't alternative rock now mean bands like Arctic Monkeys and Imagine Dragons? Who gets to decide?

I think I might be able to carve out a little time each day to classify what genre an artist belongs in.

Back