• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First time going to Yellowstone

Brangus

Reaction score
I've booked a 5 day trip to Yellowstone for 2019, late May and early June. Staying at Old Faithful Inn and Canyon Lodge. Plan to fly in to Salt Lake City (direct flight) and drive up to Jackson Hole, then next day go to Old Faithful Inn and start the park stay.

For those who have been; is this too long? Also, trip tips would be appreciated. I'm reading up on the park but this board is usually helpful. Thanks.

Did the same trip last summer. We did a couple of days at Grand Teton and three days at Yellowstone. Definitely give yourself at least a full day in Tetons, if you can. We took a rafting trip down the Snake River that set off a little north of Jackson. It was basically a float, so pretty family friendly. Up near the Roosevelt Lodge, we did a cowboy cookout that involved taking some covered wagons down a dusty trail to a big cookout. It was a couple of hours worth doing.

Just so you know, the rooms at the Old Faithful Inn aren't very nice. They are clean and the beds were comfortable enough, but they were a bit worn down. The common areas of the lodge are very cool, but can be crowded. You'll probably be fine the time of year you're going. Be ready for it to snow while you're there. We went at the end of June and missed a decent little snowfall by about a week.

On your drive up, just outside of SLC, go check out Antelope Island. It is a nature preserve in the middle of the Great Salt Lake. Worth a couple hour detour.

I’d take a trip to the Tetons if possible. Yellowstone is awesome but the Tetons are more beautiful. We did Yellowstone in three days, including one day of backcountry camping and we were able to hit all of the highlights except Mammoth.

We did early June in 2015 and the season must’ve gotten warm early because we didn’t encounter snow except at mountain tops but the ground in Yellowstone was like hiking on a wet sponge. It was chilly at night though.

Yeah I might spend another day/night in Jackson Hole so you can get more time at the Tetons before going into Yellowstone. It is a really cool town and we found the hiking there to be a little less crowded than Yellowstone (the main attractions) during the summer. But you really can't go wrong with either, the whole area is amazing. The tough thing to realize in advance is how absolutely enormous it is.

My wife and I went with our 4 boys (all under 13 at the time) and rented a satellite tour guide for the car and it was well worth it. Allowed us to view so much more wildlife and points of interest. I think it was $90 at the time.

Also, not sure how old your kids are or if you've done the national parks thing before, but see a ranger about the Junior Ranger program. There are park-based activities to keep the kids somewhat engaged and if they complete most of the assignments, they get a badge. Probably best suited for elementary aged kids, but I could see it working for a little older kids too.

I'm going out there the first couple of weeks in September. I'm flying into Bozeman, driving up to Glacier for a couple of days, down to Missoula, then over the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, then three days in Yellowstone, two in Grand Teton, then back to Bozeman, then flying home. I'm going for like 12 days total and will do at least a couple of days in each park. I'm also taking a fly rod and will do some fishing along the way.

I'm going out there the first couple of weeks in September. I'm flying into Bozeman, driving up to Glacier for a couple of days, down to Missoula, then over the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, then three days in Yellowstone, two in Grand Teton, then back to Bozeman, then flying home. I'm going for like 12 days total and will do at least a couple of days in each park. I'm also taking a fly rod and will do some fishing along the way.

YES!

I was in Yellowstone about this time last year and we fished the first meadow of Slough Creek in Yellowstone and had a great time; huge Cutties smashing big foam ants and hoppers. I dream about the day I can go back.

YES!

I was in Yellowstone about this time last year and we fished the first meadow of Slough Creek in Yellowstone and had a great time; huge Cutties smashing big foam ants and hoppers. I dream about the day I can go back.

Taking my 9' 6wt rod with me. I'm going to try to tie some flies before I go, take some of what I have, and stop by some shops to see what they're biting on. I'm staying near Red Lodge one night and there's apparently a good stream near my hotel. I also work with a guy who lived out there for a few years and goes out once a year (actually the week after me) and is going to pin point me to some good holes and streams that don't get as much pressure. I'm excited beyond belief.

Had a great snowball fight July 4 weekend on the road from Jackson Hole to Yellowstone. Snow was so heavy coming down you could not see the end of the car hood while sitting in the driver's seat. So we pulled off the road and stopped. What else can you do with several inches of fresh wet snow?

YES!

We did backcountry camping in that area and I was amazed at how many trout I saw when I went wading.

So, as my trip is getting closer (24 days until I fly out, 30 days until I'm in Yellowstone), I thought I'd see if anyone had some recommendations for some less well known things to do in Yellowstone. I'm driving the Beartooth Highway and Dead Indian pass before actually starting in the park. I'm also going to fish the Soda Butte Creek near Lamar Valley for at least a few hours one day. Thanks!

There’s a short hike near Soda Butte called Cache Creek (IIRC) that ends at said creek where herds of bison routinely cross. I had trout ramming into my ankles while watching baby bison swim across the stream to safety. It was insane. I think it’s like 5 miles out and back. There’s a large hill about halfway through the hike that lets you have an incredible view of the valley.

National Geographic channel has a four night mini-series: Yellowstone Live. Last installment about to air 9 pm tonight.

I’ve caught enough of it to recommend it.

I think you can stream it from their website if you miss it’s initial live airing.

All trails inside the park are clothing optional between 5 PM and 7 PM.

National Geographic channel has a four night mini-series: Yellowstone Live. Last installment about to air 9 pm tonight.

I’ve caught enough of it to recommend it.

I think you can stream it from their website if you miss it’s initial live airing.

I've been watching that the last few nights. It's fascinating. I'm even more excited now.

Back