• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Many Regular Season Wins For 2018 Wake Forest Football?

How many wins (excluding potential conference championship and bowl game)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, it's easy to "agree" with a wide range of wins, right? But this is a prediction thread, so the purpose of the exercise is to nail people down to a single number.

Well, it's easy to "agree" with a wide range of wins, right? But this is a prediction thread, so the purpose of the exercise is to nail people down to a single number.

Agree. And the idea of Wake's floor being 5 wins this year is ridiculous. It's more like 2 or 3.

6-6.

I think some are significantly underestimating the loss of Wolford at QB.

This. I said 6 but I think that's wishful thinking. I think we struggle at the QB position this year. And that's coming off an incredible year by Wolford.

If WF defeats BC, WF will get to 8 wins. If lose, WF wins 6.

Agree. And the idea of Wake's floor being 5 wins this year is ridiculous. It's more like 2 or 3.

Utterly asinine given the talent on this squad.

Teams with one of the top two or three OLs in a conference don't win two or three games, even in a worst-case scenario

Teams with one of the top two or three OLs in a conference don't win two or three games, even in a worst-case scenario

Oh really ? Who's starting at quarterback ? How many games would we have won if Hinton was the starting QB last year ? We only won 7 last year with a guy people want to canonize and a couple of "top" OLs. Now we're talking about some other guy as quarterback, four weeks before the first game. And this isn't even the same defense that got torched last year in the Belk Bowl. Our schedule sucks this year and we're almost certain to go O'fer October. The only certain wins on that schedule are Towson and Rice. That's it. That's what the floor is.

Oh really ? Who's starting at quarterback ? How many games would we have won if Hinton was the starting QB last year ? We only won 7 last year with a guy people want to canonize and a couple of "top" OLs. Now we're talking about some other guy as quarterback, four weeks before the first game. And this isn't even the same defense that got torched last year in the Belk Bowl. Our schedule sucks this year and we're almost certain to go O'fer October. The only certain wins on that schedule are Towson and Rice. That's it. That's what the floor is.

Did Wolford just magically become this elite QB his senior year? Pretty much everyone on this board was convinced he was not the answer until last year. I'd say maybe 20% of his elite season was due to his improvement as a player, but 80% was the system the coaches implemented and his surrounding cast being much better. Nothing against Wolford, and I wish he was a sophomore last year - imagine how excited we'd be now. I'm confident that at least one guy on the current roster is as talented as Wolford, if not more, and can be coached up to excel in the Clawfense. I do not expect anyone to have the season Wolford had last year, but I'm not expecting the QB position to be a weak spot whatsoever.

Also, I'll bet you a Selwyn Pizza that we don't get 0 wins in October.

I for one am not canonizing him, a bunch of QBs coulda posted stats with that protection and those weapons. It's not like Wolf was a world beater until the talent around him got much better. Even with the loss of Cam I'd argue the QB is inheriting an even better situation than Wolf finished with last year, due to heightened experience and the return of Dortch. We gotta remember the 'cuse and ATM offensive explosions happened even without our best offensive player on the field -- says a lot.

A QB is important, but not that important, and I think Clawson has earned enough credibility for us to trust that whoever he puts behind center is going to be competent. More and more inexperienced players are stepping in and making differences in CFB right away.

And our schedule is not demonstrably harder than last year. I'd say its roughly the same and an argument could be made its easier since we host ND and teams like Louisville and State shouldn't be as good as they were last year

Wolford had good judgment. It remains to be seen whether his replacements will possess that talent as well. Nevertheless, Biff's correct that rookie QBs don't always lead to equal or better results. And yes, QB is the most important position on the team, and not any QB could've matched what Wolford did last year, especially with our lack of defense.

I’m thinking 7 wins before the bowl game, but put 8 just because I always trend toward the optimistic side. I agree with Ph, saying that I think Clawson recognizes the raw talent difference between Newman/Hartman and Wolford/Hinton. Wolford was a GREAT quarterback his senior season because of his elite decision making, but if Newman/Hartman can get to that level of precision with decision making we could be in for the best QB wake has had in my lifetime based on raw talent/potential. Newman’s physical attributes and strength are top tier.

Where Wolford excelled last year, particularly in the last half of the season was in his decision making. Very few bad reads from him. Lots and lots of excellent ones. He also was very accurate with his passes. Mostly they were where Wake guys could get them, or nobody could get them. An incomplete pass is much better than an interception. These are probably the two most difficult things for a young QB to learn. Decision making particularly.

Another loss that isn't talked about much is Mike Weaver. The 30 yard line was almost a guarantee of at least three points. Wake is going to need one of the new guys to step up and into that role.

11 wins total this year - includes Bowl Victory

Define worst case scenario. A lot of things can go wrong.

No, I don’t think we are winning only three, but I also haven’t abandoned my baked-in Wake pessimism as easily as you have. It is relatively easy to make a bowl (especially now) and we’ve rarely done it in our massive history.

I think we’re going bowling this year but it is a tough conference slate.

It always amazes me how people can lose their minds over someone else's opinion on a prediction thread like this.

"I think we'll get to X wins"

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME? CAN'T YOU READ?!?! HERE ARE 15 REASONS WHY YOUR OPINION IS THE WORST OF ALL TIME!!one LOUD NOISES!"

Back