• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Many Regular Season Wins For 2018 Wake Forest Football?

How many wins (excluding potential conference championship and bowl game)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, not a real question.

I for one am not canonizing him, a bunch of QBs coulda posted stats with that protection and those weapons. It's not like Wolf was a world beater until the talent around him got much better. Even with the loss of Cam I'd argue the QB is inheriting an even better situation than Wolf finished with last year, due to heightened experience and the return of Dortch. We gotta remember the 'cuse and ATM offensive explosions happened even without our best offensive player on the field -- says a lot.

A QB is important, but not that important, and I think Clawson has earned enough credibility for us to trust that whoever he puts behind center is going to be competent. More and more inexperienced players are stepping in and making differences in CFB right away.

And our schedule is not demonstrably harder than last year. I'd say its roughly the same and an argument could be made its easier since we host ND and teams like Louisville and State shouldn't be as good as they were last year

I'm not canonizing him either. But there's no way "a bunch of QBs" could have done what Wolford did last year. You had a very experienced QB who understood the system inside and out show a lot of maturity and make great decisions. Plenty of more athletic young QBs would have sucked in that situation.

And sure we all trust that Clawson will put the best guy out there, but the point is many are way underestimating what Wolford's experience and great decision making brought to last year's team. I'm not sure a slightly better OL makes up for the drop-off at QB. I don't see us being good enough to win games by grinding out the running game and managing the clock. Not to mention I have no idea what to expect from the defense.

I said 8-4, but the reports I’m hearing from camp (and particularly Clawson’s demeanor in interviews) make me think that 8-4 is what the o/u should be rather than 7-5. Jamie Newman will be solid. The defense will be more consistent and effective than last season. Our running game will actually worry DCs. Can’t wait to watch it all unfold.

Clawson seems more confident about entering the season with Newman and Hartman than he seemed about entering the season with Wolford and Hinton his first four years.

Clawson seems more confident about entering the season with Newman and Hartman than he seemed about entering the season with Wolford and Hinton his first four years.

That might have something to do with the OL.

FWIW, the o/u on wins at my book is 6.5, BUT it is skewed to the downside (O +110, U -140)... So expectations are closer to 6 than 7, which seems right to me. Even though I voted for 5.

I said 8-4, but the reports I’m hearing from camp (and particularly Clawson’s demeanor in interviews) make me think that 8-4 is what the o/u should be rather than 7-5. Jamie Newman will be solid. The defense will be more consistent and effective than last season. Our running game will actually worry DCs. Can’t wait to watch it all unfold.

I haven't read the quotes, and certainly haven't compared them to what was said previously, but Clawson strikes me as a hyper-positive guy, especially when making public statements.

5 wins. Slump year, things improve in 2019.

Not surprising, but people placing way too much importance on one position on the team when so much is coming back elsewhere

Losing most of the veteran OL?

Losing four veteran starters, with all-ACC talent is going to hurt short term at least for 2019. Developing cohesion and timing on the O-line takes time and repetitions.

For 2018 Wake has four 5th year seniors and a fourth year junior on the O-line. All guys with lots of playing time. Should be fun to watch them this year.

Last edited:
We have a great o-line and good RBs

Not nearly worried about QB play when they will just be asked to throw hitch routes and bubble screens to Greg Mother Fucking Dortch.

We have a great o-line and good RBs

Not nearly worried about QB play when they will just be asked to throw hitch routes and bubble screens to Greg Mother Fucking Dortch.

In 2018 the key to unanticipated success will be the Defense. WF has an offense that will figure out what it needs to do to score. But WF is not likely to win all the shootout games similar to the ones it did in the second half of 2017 simply because the QB play in that portion of the season was stellar.
Based on comments made by Sawvel, it sounds as if he believes his defense will be very pivotal to a successful season.

In 2018 the key to unanticipated success will be the Defense. WF has an offense that will figure out what it needs to do to score. But WF is not likely to win all the shootout games similar to the ones it did in the second half of 2017 simply because the QB play in that portion of the season was stellar.
Based on comments made by Sawvel, it sounds as if he believes his defense will be very pivotal to a successful season.

Yep. ACC opponents (including Notre Dame) scored an average of 31.1 points last year. It goes up to 33.2 if you include the bowl game. And all that includes only 10 points scored by BC.

BUMP

I'm liking my "5" more and more these days.

I only see 1 game where we'll be favored the rest of the way (Pitt).

Still think we'll shock the world and win 2 more to get to 5, though.

Right now, WF would be favored at L'ville and home against Pitt.

There are bunch of other games where WF will be dog of less than a TD (@FSU, Cuse, @ Duke; WF would be +11 or more at State). It would be a bad finish to go 2-4 against a schedule of 6 unranked opponents.

Back