• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The New Wake Forest University Campus Barber Shop

WFUBarber

Reaction score
Since the University is doing a major renovation of Taylor and Efird Dorms this summer, we have moved the campus barber shop this summer. Here's a little history on the shop. The WFU Barber Shop opened on the campus in 1961 and originally was located in on the lower level of Davis Dorm below what is now the Subway. I'm not sure when, but at some point was relocated to Kitchin Dorm where the Deacon Shop is now. In 1989, it was relocated to Taylor Dorm where it remained for 29 years.

We have now moved into a newly renovated location in Kitchin Dorm, Room 007, across from the Sutton Center and Reynolds Gym. We did keep and will continue to use the classic barber chairs from the old shop. We will definitely be using some of our WFU memorabilia collection in the new shop. Lloyd Howard who owns the shop has now been on the campus for 42 years and I will be starting my 13th year at Wake. We're so excited about our recent move and thankful to be more visible on campus. We expect to continue to be a part of the campus for a long time. Please stop by and check out the new shop sometime. Dean Shore

Here are some photos of the new shop. It's still a work in progress but it's coming along. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.656341780288.1073743598.163700376&type=1&l=afc943f4b6

Last edited:
Lloyd cut my hair for most of the 1980s. Shop was in Kitchen then.

Glad to hear he’s still around.

I was a little sad to see the shop stuck sort of out of the way in bottom/back of Taylor. New place sounds and looks great.

Excellent! The new place looks great.
Not sure why I never went there when in school. I always frequented Mt tabor or the barber school (if money was tight :))

Looking good. Thanks for the updates and pictures.

I was a regular at the Taylor location during my time as a student. I always appreciated the shop banter, and its Wake Forest tinge.

For those who may not know the backstory, this was only made possible because of a generous gift from our very own Stan Gable.

Thanks Stan!

This was an excellent improvement toupee for!

Did you wig out when you received the final bill?

I got a bunch of great haircuts in the early 90’s from Sherry at that barber shop. There was also a guy we called slow hand bc he looked like Eric Clapton, good memories!

Is Lloyd the former marine?

Yeah. I enjoyed the convenience of the campus shop but the haircuts weren't great....got clipper scalped a lot, Mt. Tabor was better. I LOOKED like a Marine every time I left the Wake shop, but at least I could go 4 weeks between cuts.

Back