• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Affordable Housing Crisis

Good article. Interesting that I bought during the peak and valley in Tampa according to that chart.

Just skimming, I think that's all consistent with what was poster earlier.

Making housing increasingly more expensive, less affordable, and even unaffordable for some.

There are plenty of empty homes that are already built.

Juice is correct. Address income and wealth inequality and housing takes care of itself.
There are plenty of empty middle and higher income homes sitting empty. Those are investments. There is not a lot of affordable housing empty, in fact there is a shortage of it, because it's not profitable to build. Specifically urban areas where the lower income housing is needed, the land itself is worth more sitting empty than with low income housing on it. This is why there is absolutely no market solution for this problem. I agree that income inequality is a major part of the problem, but whether the government tries to subsidize the supply or demand, there will be an equal market response to cancel out the subsidy - it's inflation. Control and regulation over the market, and public housing is the solution. Housing has to be decomodified.

Last edited:

Eliminating the unwanted. Seems to be a theme with the GOP lately. Where have we seen this before?

Republican Jesus must be happy.

Coporations buying up entry level homes for rentals
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/23/us/corporate-real-estate-investors-housing-market.html

the increasing influence of real estate investors buying up houses, especially at the lower end of the market, and turning them into rental properties.

In cities like Charlotte, that trend is exacerbating the shortage of houses for sale, driving up prices and putting homeownership out of reach for many first-time buyers, the biggest losers in today’s market.

Investment firms buying the important houses
https://slate.com/business/2021/06/blackrock-invitation-houses-investment-firms-real-estate.html

map of corporate owned houses in NC
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article261064492.html

It should be illegal for corporations to buy homes. It makes no sense. Even if a corporation needs a home for corporate use, let them just rent one from a person.

Last edited:
I don’t think corporations should own houses. I also think renting a house is far more economically accessible than purchasing a house. The people most vulnerable to the housing shortage are economically disadvantaged. I wish that all
people who want to buy a home were able to, but my priority is that every person in the country have dignified housing.

I definitely agree that we should prioritize people having dignified housing over home ownership which is essentially just the ability to accumulate (or lose) wealth by where you live.

Can you post the map? It’s behind a paywall.

The map is appended to the article. Neither behind a pay wall for me. I can summarize the map by saying investment companies Tricon Residential, American Homes 4 Rent, Progress Residential, Firstkey, Invitation Homes, Amherst Residential, and Other have a huge swath of home purchases stretching from greater Charlotte area along 85 and 40 to the greater Raleigh area.

Those companies pay above the market rate, exacerbating the affordability problem even more.

Some do this to manipulate the value of other homes they own in the area (factored in their comps). This is for companies that flip. Those that rent just need the cash flow, and the math works out for them to overpay, get the house, and then rent it for profit. If they are holding long term, they can overpay and wait for the market to catch up to their price - especially in fast growing areas and also knowing companies like them are decreasing supply.

Back