• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 PGA Championship Contest - Entries due Thursday 7:50 am

So are you upset because in addition to recognizing how absurd Tiger was at golf some people also recognized how great Tiger’s story and persona were (or something like that)?

His persona?? The one of being a surly douche and prickly with media and fellow players??

Yes, you better stop fawning over athletes or you will turn into a douchey tool. Oh wait.

His persona?? The one of being a surly douche and prickly with media and fellow players??

Yes, you better stop fawning over athletes or you will turn into a douchey tool. Oh wait.

Not quite, might have tied it if he made the eagle Saturday...see 2000 at St. Andrews...200 strokes through 54 holes. So he missed that by 2? 202 + 64 = 266 (-14).

And y'all casually ignore all the short putts BK missed yesterday...could have boat-raced the whole field. He certainly dusted them on the last 5 holes. Impressive considering Adam Scott was breathing right down his neck and it was basically match play +1 with Tiger roars echoing through the trees. Nails.

I think BK's flippant, ho-hum, "golf is boring" schtick is just a mind-over-matter mental device he uses to stay calm and level on the course in the heat of the cauldron.

He absolutely enjoys golf...if he didn't he wouldn't be able to flight a frickin' 4-iron from 248 to within 6 feet of the pin in a pivotal moment. That takes imagination, feel, mental acuity and cajones that only comes from playing A LOT of damn golf because you enjoy the game and relish the challenge of dialing up such shots under pressure. Same for his drives on 17 & 18. He's not just bashing it, he's using feel he's developed over countless rounds to feather "baby cuts" that fly 320-330.

Honestly, it's just sick. And Tiger sycophants should LOVE Brooks cuz he's Tiger 2.0 without the fist pumping madness. Tiger caused Brooks. Relish it. Savor it.

Again you miss the point...I'm talking about the way in which he wins majors...just stomping on people's throats and putting the throttle down when his pursuers get near him. I'm not talking about records. No one is in Tiger's league besides Jack. The come Hogan, Jones, Snead, Palmer and Player.

These kids grew up idolizing Tiger and now some of them win like Tiger with a new brand of blended power and finesse. Christ.

giphy.gif

Haha, I don't know. Maybe because he does the Thurs/Fri afternoon Golf Channel coverage more than one would think. I enjoy him more during the week than when he's with Nantz. I actually think he's a bit more unfiltered and dare I say "zany" compared to the more straight-laced repartee with Jimmy N. I don't dislike Nantz, but he's a bit too pomp and circumstance on the air and I feel Nick doesn't get to talk enough, but man he can deliver one helluva eulogy (see Arnie's funeral). Final thought on Sir Nick, when he has more of a running dialogue with just one guy, whether it be Gannon or Byrum, he does a better job of conveying his thoughts and insight IMO. When he's competing for time on air with Nantz, Kostis and IBF, he just gets lost in the shuffle.

PS -- I love Trevor Immelman in the booth, just the right amount of enthusiasm and awe without being a fan boy. Not to mention he knows strategy and what it takes to win under pressure. Shame he didn't have a better career.

It was great to hear Verne yesterday. Loved it when somebody mentioned him as Tiger's ball hung on the lip (on 11?). He is missed on SEC games.

Again you miss the point...I'm talking about the way in which he wins majors...just stomping on people's throats and putting the throttle down when his pursuers get near him. I'm not talking about records. No one is in Tiger's league besides Jack. The come Hogan, Jones, Snead, Palmer and Player.

These kids grew up idolizing Tiger and now some of them win like Tiger with a new brand of blended power and finesse. Christ.

Obviously. Let me try again.

Honestly, it's just sick. And Tiger sycophants should LOVE Brooks cuz he's Tiger 2.0 [only in the way he wins majors, obviously] without the fist pumping madness. Tiger caused Brooks. Relish it. Savor it.

Tiger won his Majors on Saturday, especially early on. As most know, he held at least a share of the 54 hole lead in every major he’s won. What many don’t know is that he’s only lost ground relative to the lead on a Saturday once in 14 major wins (05 Open).

In his first 9 major wins, his 54 hole lead was an average of 3.7. He gained an average of 3.5 strokes relative to the lead on Saturday. He only gained an additional 1.1 strokes on Sunday.

When Brooks makes the best golfers look like fucking amateurs or dominates an iconic course like its your local country club we can revisit the Tiger comparisons.

Obviously. Let me try again.

Tiger won his Majors on Saturday, especially early on. As most know, he held at least a share of the 54 hole lead in every major he’s won. What many don’t know is that he’s only lost ground relative to the lead on a Saturday once in 14 major wins (05 Open).

In his first 9 major wins, his 54 hole lead was an average of 3.7. He gained an average of 3.5 strokes relative to the lead on Saturday. He only gained an additional 1.1 strokes on Sunday.

When Brooks makes the best golfers look like fucking amateurs or dominates an iconic course like its your local country club we can revisit the Tiger comparisons.

You've conveniently left out all of the commentary I've made about Tiger...perhaps you shouldn't obsess so much. You seem to have some serious issues. Why are you trying to prove something to me that I already know??

But anyway, back on ignore you go. You've now ruined chit-chatting about golf as well. You are something.

You've conveniently left out all of the commentary I've made about Tiger...perhaps you shouldn't obsess so much. You seem to have some serious issues. Why are you trying to prove something to me that I already know??

But anyway, back on ignore you go. You've now ruined chit-chatting about golf as well. You are something.

Acknowledging Tiger’s greatness doesn’t make comparing Brooks Koepka to him any less absurd.

I’m always amazed at how sensitive some people are on here when their absurd, hyperbolic statements are challenged. Seems like the easy way to respond would be to defend the statement or walk it back.

Instead, many people, including you, take that shit personally and start projecting on other posters or bringing up past grudges from threads long forgotten by others.

Relax. I’ll leave you OWGs to it.

Acknowledging Tiger’s greatness doesn’t make comparing Brooks Koepka to him any less absurd.

I’m always amazed at how sensitive some people are on here when their absurd, hyperbolic statements are challenged. Seems like the easy way to respond would be to defend the statement or walk it back.

Instead, many people, including you, take that shit personally and start projecting on other posters or bringing up past grudges from threads long forgotten by others.

To quote the resident cry baby here, "haha." Who's taking shit personally? You just like to come up with your own arbitrary bullshit "standards" and police people's opinions on the daily. To say comparisons to Tiger are absurd is just making shit up because I'm only comparing style of play, how BK handles the pressure of the moment and lauding his recent achievements with some colorful prose. I'm not sure where I said Brooks was the next Tiger. You can't seem to understand context and a statement (Tiger 2.0) that is more meant to compliment Tiger than praise Koepka. That's my fault??

I don't really give a shit about your opinions on golf anyway. But I do get pissy when someone tries to diminish my personal excitement and admiration of the actual freakin' champion, which stems from watching well-executed golf shots in the heat of a major championship pressure cooker, namely the ones BK hit down the stretch over the last 4 holes. No matter what your personal standard is regarding majors, they are freakin' hard to win. I'm just trying to relish what I watched yesterday and give him some due, not make BK out to be the next greatest player of all time. Only time will determine that.

Lastly, you're the one who got all bent out of shape when someone dares to compare some traits and execution to Tiger, running over here to defend his "greatness." I wasn't even trying to do what you say I was attempting to do (invent shit up in your own mind much?); I was simply adding to the discussion and some further historical context. Trying to rank players outside of Jack & Tiger is a subjective exercise in futility anyway. But I reckon in your world, we aren't even allowed to compare Jack Nicklaus to Tiger either eh?

Who's really the one being absurd here?

It was great to hear Verne yesterday. Loved it when somebody mentioned him as Tiger's ball hung on the lip (on 11?). He is missed on SEC games.

The way Verne was salivating yesterday, you would have thought Tiger's balls were hung on his lips.

Tiger was probably hoping for a little help from the New Madrid fault there.

Back