• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 PGA Championship Contest - Entries due Thursday 7:50 am

I wanted Tiger to win but man is Koepka tough in majors!

Koepka just won his 3rd major in the last 6 he's played in and it's barely even mentioned. I don't even think CBS realized that was happening. Koepka won the US Open and the PGA after missing the first half of the season with a pretty serious wrist injury. Imagine if Tiger had done all that, the media would be having endless orgasms and yet since it's not it's hardly noticed.

Koepka just won his 3rd major in the last 6 he's played in and it's barely even mentioned. I don't even think CBS realized that was happening. Koepka won the US Open and the PGA after missing the first half of the season with a pretty serious wrist injury. Imagine if Tiger had done all that, the media would be having endless orgasms and yet since it's not it's hardly noticed.

They are well aware but Koepka's brand is weak. He doesn't enjoy playing the game of golf and it shows, so why should people enjoy watching him play?

They are well aware but Koepka's brand is weak. He doesn't enjoy playing the game of golf and it shows, so why should people enjoy watching him play?

I'm sorry but that's pretty stupid. Did you catch the interview with his Mom talking about Koepka being upset with her as a kid when she'd make him leave the golf course at night and him telling her he wanted to be a pro. Just because Koepka doesn't fist pump his way all around the golf course doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy playing the game. You can't get to the level he's at by putting in that much time doing something you don't enjoy. I agree he's not marketable like Tiger is, but that doesn't change the incredible run he's had in the majors, which we have not seen since Tiger was Tiger.

I'm sorry but that's pretty stupid. Did you catch the interview with his Mom talking about Koepka being upset with her as a kid when she'd make him leave the golf course at night and him telling her he wanted to be a pro. Just because Koepka doesn't fist pump his way all around the golf course doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy playing the game. You can't get to the level he's at by putting in that much time doing something you don't enjoy. I agree he's not marketable like Tiger is, but that doesn't change the incredible run he's had in the majors, which we have not seen since Tiger was Tiger.

It's not dumb he has said it himself, I agree though his play has been remarkable.

https://extra.ie/2017/06/20/sport/sport-extra/koepka-golf-boring

Last edited:

If you think he doesn't enjoy playing golf your nuts. There are tons of golf pros who grew up dreaming of playing other sports, doesn't mean they don't enjoy what they're doing. Ben Hogan always looked like he was pissed off on the golf course, but there's probably never been anybody that loved the game more. Koepka couldn't become the player he is by not enjoying what he's doing. His job isn't to please you or me, his job is winning golf tournaments and he's won 3 of the last 6 majors. Again, if that were Tiger the media would be circle jerking over it.

Shot his lowest 54 hole score in a major by 4 shots.

Not quite, might have tied it if he made the eagle Saturday...see 2000 at St. Andrews...200 strokes through 54 holes. So he missed that by 2? 202 + 64 = 266 (-14).

And y'all casually ignore all the short putts BK missed yesterday...could have boat-raced the whole field. He certainly dusted them on the last 5 holes. Impressive considering Adam Scott was breathing right down his neck and it was basically match play +1 with Tiger roars echoing through the trees. Nails.

Not quite, might have tied it if he made the eagle Saturday...see 2000 at St. Andrews...200 strokes through 54 holes. So he missed that by 2? 202 + 64 = 266 (-14).

And y'all casually ignore all the short putts BK missed yesterday...could have boat-raced the whole field. He certainly dusted them on the last 5 holes. Impressive considering Adam Scott was breathing right down his neck and it was basically match play +1 with Tiger roars echoing through the trees. Nails.

Yeah, but he was hating being out there the whole time he was doing it.:rolleyes:

This. I'm not a big Koepka fan but don't dislike him at all. The guy is ripped and rips his drives straight over bunkers 300+ yards out. In addition, he's a solid putter and is a pretty darn decent chipper and bunker player. Doesn't have any real weaknesses. What is freaky is 3 of his 4 Ws have been majors. He's the Chris Carter of golf - he only wins majors.

Never been a big Tiger fan either, though I like him now that he's become more human, and it appears that he's gained a lot more perspective on all aspects of golf and life. I like that he congratulated Koepka afterwards and that he now enjoys the company of his competitors. It's great for golf that he's contending in majors again, though he's finding out he can't win with his B+ game like he did 10-15 years ago. These guys don't wilt at his presence. That all said, in Paris, there is a lot of hay and water a few yards off the fairways. Might want to hide his driver in 4somes and just play him in 4balls on Friday and Saturday.

This. I'm not a big Koepka fan but don't dislike him at all. The guy is ripped and rips his drives straight over bunkers 300+ yards out. In addition, he's a solid putter and is a pretty darn decent chipper and bunker player. Doesn't have any real weaknesses. What is freaky is 3 of his 4 Ws have been majors. He's the Chris Carter of golf - he only wins majors.

Never been a big Tiger fan either, though I like him now that he's become more human, and it appears that he's gained a lot more perspective on all aspects of golf and life. I like that he congratulated Koepka afterwards and that he now enjoys the company of his competitors. It's great for golf that he's contending in majors again, though he's finding out he can't win with his B+ game like he did 10-15 years ago. These guys don't wilt at his presence. That all said, in Paris, there is a lot of hay and water a few yards off the fairways. Might want to hide his driver in 4somes and just play him in 4balls on Friday and Saturday.

TITCR

Tiger is going to have a hard time winning unless he gets better with his driver because until he does he is going to have at least that hole or 2 in the majors that a bad drive will cost him. He needed birdie at 17 yesterday badly and was lucky to even be able to hit a 2nd shot. Tiger even said of Koepka, when you've got a guy hitting it 340 straight and can putt, it's very hard to beat them. The tour has several guys capable of doing that these days.

I enjoyed the Callaway Chrome Soft commercials filled entirely with dudes who missed the cut running all weekend

I decidedly did not enjoy the Progressive commercials

I think BK's flippant, ho-hum, "golf is boring" schtick is just a mind-over-matter mental device he uses to stay calm and level on the course in the heat of the cauldron.

He absolutely enjoys golf...if he didn't he wouldn't be able to flight a frickin' 4-iron from 248 to within 6 feet of the pin in a pivotal moment. That takes imagination, feel, mental acuity and cajones that only comes from playing A LOT of damn golf because you enjoy the game and relish the challenge of dialing up such shots under pressure. Same for his drives on 17 & 18. He's not just bashing it, he's using feel he's developed over countless rounds to feather "baby cuts" that fly 320-330.

Honestly, it's just sick. And Tiger sycophants should LOVE Brooks cuz he's Tiger 2.0 without the fist pumping madness. Tiger caused Brooks. Relish it. Savor it.

comparing the two is dumb. GTFO of here with that garbage. everyone says that about boring white guys. tiger was never considered boring except by some because he was winning a lot, not because he was actually boring to watch

Last edited:
I think BK's flippant, ho-hum, "golf is boring" schtick is just a mind-over-matter mental device he uses to stay calm and level on the course in the heat of the cauldron.

He absolutely enjoys golf...if he didn't he wouldn't be able to flight a frickin' 4-iron from 248 to within 6 feet of the pin in a pivotal moment. That takes imagination, feel, mental acuity and cajones that only comes from playing A LOT of damn golf because you enjoy the game and relish the challenge of dialing up such shots under pressure. Same for his drives on 17 & 18. He's not just bashing it, he's using feel he's developed over countless rounds to feather "baby cuts" that fly 320-330.

Honestly, it's just sick. And Tiger sycophants should LOVE Brooks cuz he's Tiger 2.0 without the fist pumping madness. Tiger caused Brooks. Relish it. Savor it.

And the club slamming and tossing that most of us gave up at the age of 20 or so.

This definitely gets in your head though. When I'm at my best I don't say a word or talk to anyone or make any sort of reaction when I do something well, but no one wants to watch that on TV. When I was playing poker, I definitely had that in my head as knowing that the only way anyone wants to watch you on TV is if you're talkative, and it's worthwhile to become a character.

Back