• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 PGA Championship Contest - Entries due Thursday 7:50 am

On a different note, hat tip to Webb for putting together one helluva season, getting back to the Ryder Cup team and finishing as one of only a handful of players to make the cut in all 4 majors, not to mention winning The Players, a de facto 5th major. By my calculations, he was roughly 6th in scoring relative to par in the majors at -5 with finishes of T20, T10, T12 & T19, respectively at the big events. The Top 5 RTP players are as follows:

Justin Rose -12
Rickie Fowler -11
Finau & Fleet -9
Frankie Molinari -8

And crazy enough, Tony Finau may get left off the Ryder Cup squad because of his erratic driving of the ball, which is not conducive to alternate shot play, not that he'd probably play in foursomes anyway. But there are a dearth of straight hitters on the team currently -- with the shorter-hitting Webb not exactly dead-eye straight off the tee -- so I would not be surprised if the 4 captain's picks end up being Tiger, Phil, Zach and either Kisner or Kuchar. Think they'll need Kisner to pair with Mickelnuts as he is the only short-hitter (well, Zach I suppose if he's controlling his hook) gritty enough to play with him in foursomes, if they go that route.

If the rough is like hay and as penal as the French Open, then their best bet may be to dominate in 4-balls, bombing away at will, hoping Brooks, DJ, Bubba, Rickie and JT all have good driving weeks. But after Reed-Spieth and probably the Bromance coupling of BK & DJ, who will likely all play 5 matches, they will have to put out Phil-KK and probably Tiger-Kuch or Zach in foursomes to balance things out.

ETA: it might be worth a shot to put JT with Phil in an alternate shot match to see if their creativity from the rough and ability to scramble meshes well.

Good problem to have but crazy to think both Finau and Xander could be left out. Not to mention Hoffman and Berger, who were quite good at the Prez Cup.

An embarrassment of riches, especially if they can't win enough team points to win on European soil for the first time since what The Belfry in 1985??

Last edited:
Speaking of Webb, the little I saw of him at the PGA he looked to hitting the ball close on his approach shots. So, he must have missed a lot of makeable birdie putts. Webb is really good with his irons.

We all know Tiger is a lock. But we also keep hearing from the golf media that Phil and DeChambeau are also going to be picks, and that has me shaking my head. The Paris course is Erin Hills with plenty of water, and single digits often wins it. Phil and DeChambeau are just as wild as Tiger is, and neither of those guys is showing the kind of form Tiger has this past month or so. Add to that DeChambeau's 1st RC would be better at home than on the road with rowdy fans who could get under his skin. While I'm not much of a Webb fan, I also believe his inclusion is good for the team because he's straight off the tee, and he adds someone who can be paired with Bubba. I hope he rebounds after his disastrous inclusion 4 years ago. Assuming recent form holds, the other 3 guys I'd add with Tiger would be Kisner, Kuchar and Schauffele. Kisner and Kuchar are straight off the tee and gritty. Schauffele is a good ball striker and has won in Atlanta in a big event. Stanley is a great ball striker and is trending, but he makes Adam Scott and Schwartzel look like great putters. I really like Finau, but he can also be wayward.

Certainly looked bored.

"Underappreciated, maybe. But that’s our problem, not his. Sure, I like an outward show of emotion like anyone, but I love old the adage “Act like you’ve been there before.” It’s the difference between a guy who hits a home run and immediately starts jumping around, beating his chest, pointing into the crowd and slow-trotting around the bases, and a guy who hits a home run and runs around the bases quickly, head down, not showing anyone else up. He expected to be there, he gets paid to do that, and he’s not the least bit surprised he hit it. It’s not his problem that you didn’t expect it. If there is such a thing as winning a quiet three majors, Brooks has just done it. At the end of the day, or the career, I suspect he’ll be happy just adding them up and seeing where he stands amongst the best."

From Golf.com John Wood, Kutcher's Caddie

Koepka doesn't owe it to anybody to act any other way than he wants to.

"Underappreciated, maybe. But that’s our problem, not his. Sure, I like an outward show of emotion like anyone, but I love old the adage “Act like you’ve been there before.” It’s the difference between a guy who hits a home run and immediately starts jumping around, beating his chest, pointing into the crowd and slow-trotting around the bases, and a guy who hits a home run and runs around the bases quickly, head down, not showing anyone else up. He expected to be there, he gets paid to do that, and he’s not the least bit surprised he hit it. It’s not his problem that you didn’t expect it. If there is such a thing as winning a quiet three majors, Brooks has just done it. At the end of the day, or the career, I suspect he’ll be happy just adding them up and seeing where he stands amongst the best."

Well said. I have been slow to embrace BK; but his talent is enormous and I like his cool demeanor. It is particularly impressive how he absorbs bad or disappointing shots and comes back strong.

Maybe he just sucks with the media? Fowler doesn’t beat his chest, but seems like a legit great guy off the course and someone I would love to have beer with. Koepka just seems very superficial or something. I can’t put my finger on it. He’s like a golf robot.

Well said. I have been slow to embrace BK; but his talent is enormous and I like his cool demeanor. It is particularly impressive how he absorbs bad or disappointing shots and comes back strong.

I mean it's not like he acts like an asshole or something. The guy just doesn't exude a lot of emotion, haven't heard people complaining about DJ and his demeanor is very similar. Also, Koepka doesn't watch golf, big deal, how many on here watch TV related to their job while they're away from it. You lawyer's rush home and turn on Court TV every night, you doctors watch the Health Channel every night when you get home from the office?

Maybe he just sucks with the media? Fowler doesn’t beat his chest, but seems like a legit great guy off the course and someone I would love to have beer with. Koepka just seems very superficial or something. I can’t put my finger on it. He’s like a golf robot.

Ben Hogan made golf Mount Rushmore career out of being a golf robot.

Hogan was playing Augusta with a rookie, and the rookie was in awe of Hogan as one would expect. Rookie tees off #1, then Hogan does. While Hogan's ball is going a little left and toward the trees, the rookie ( I can't recall his name) says "Sit ball! Sit!" in hopes that Hogan's ball would stay in good shape. It end up fine in the fairway, and the rookie says "Nice shot Mr Hogan". As the 2 are walking off the tee toward the fairway, Hogan looks at the rookie and says "Don't talk to me, and don't ever talk to my ball".

Nah, that wouldn't make me nervous as hell the rest of the round.

My other favorite Hogan quote. Toward the end of Hogan's career, during a press conference a reporter asks Hogan "Mr Hogan, you are considered the greatest ball-striker of all time. How is it then that you have never had a hole in one in a tournament?". Hogan looks at the reporter and responds "Son, I've never aimed at the hole. Next question".

1. “Act like you’ve been there before” is the most boring OWG statement in all of sports.its a kin to saying “get off of my lawn”

2. Koepka doesn’t owe anybody anything, but the media doesn’t owe him excitement when he wins, and sponsers don’t owe him big bucks just for being a top golfer.

Hogan was playing Augusta with a rookie, and the rookie was in awe of Hogan as one would expect. Rookie tees off #1, then Hogan does. While Hogan's ball is going a little left and toward the trees, the rookie ( I can't recall his name) says "Sit ball! Sit!" in hopes that Hogan's ball would stay in good shape. It end up fine in the fairway, and the rookie says "Nice shot Mr Hogan". As the 2 are walking off the tee toward the fairway, Hogan looks at the rookie and says "Don't talk to me, and don't ever talk to my ball".

My other favorite Hogan quote. Toward the end of Hogan's career, during a press conference a reporter asks Hogan "Mr Hogan, you are considered the greatest ball-striker of all time. How is it then that you have never had a hole in one in a tournament?". Hogan looks at the reporter and responds "Son, I've never aimed at the hole. Next question".

Tiger has and is making a great comeback from his health issues, but it pales in comparison to what Hogan came back from as a result of the car wreck. To come back from the injuries he received, back in the late 40's when medical treatment isn't anywhere near what it is today, is truly amazing. Any of you fellow "golf nerds" that haven't read about Hogan's comeback, I would highly recommend it.

1. “Act like you’ve been there before” is the most boring OWG statement in all of sports.its a kin to saying “get off of my lawn”

2. Koepka doesn’t owe anybody anything, but the media doesn’t owe him excitement when he wins, and sponsers don’t owe him big bucks just for being a top golfer.

He'll get plenty of money, no worries there and the media should give adequate coverage to a guy that has won 2 majors this year and 3 of the last 6 he's played in. You feel the same way about DJ, because he's about as unemotional on the golf course as Koepka?

Being nasty and being cool are different.

Tiger has and is making a great comeback from his health issues, but it pales in comparison to what Hogan came back from as a result of the car wreck. To come back from the injuries he received, back in the late 40's when medical treatment isn't anywhere near what it is today, is truly amazing. Any of you fellow "golf nerds" that haven't read about Hogan's comeback, I would highly recommend it.

Golf competition and level of play isn't comparable to where it is today vs in Hogan's time so it is not really comparable. Recovering from his car accident is still amazing non the less.

Yeah but he didn’t have to deal with these fields either. Tiger being 2nd at this major is absurd after what’s he’s been through.

I read The Match and recommend it to anyone who may even come close to considering themselves a golf nerd.

Hogan was robotic when it comes to mechanics but was not a robot like the post-Tiger boring white guy revolution

Back