• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 PGA Championship Contest - Entries due Thursday 7:50 am

Golf competition and level of play isn't comparable to where it is today vs in Hogan's time so it is not really comparable. Recovering from his car accident is still amazing non the less.

Yeah in some respects is was harder. Hogan had to play 36 holes in the final round of the 1950 US Open which was the norm back then. Then an 18 hole playoff the next day. The media was making a big deal out of Tiger playing 26 holes Saturday. I definitely agree there are more good players now, but there were plenty of good players back then and the conditions they played in are nowhere near as pristine as they play in now. Hogan coming back from a near fatal car crash to win a US Open the next year is definitely comparable to Tiger coming back from what's he's been through. Both are great feats, but what Hogan did was almost super-human.

Hogan's comeback was one of the greatest feats in sports history.

Still not one of my favorite golfers. I liked Snead much more.

Yeah but he didn’t have to deal with these fields either. Tiger being 2nd at this major is absurd after what’s he’s been through.

I read The Match and recommend it to anyone who may even come close to considering themselves a golf nerd.

Forget the field, which was better than you give it credit for. The mere feat of playing 36 holes in the final round and then having to play 18 holes the next day in the playoff on those legs, was unreal.

I have read almost every book ever written about Hogan. I got on a kick/obsession about him several years ago. For those of you that just see Hogan as an ass, I highly recommend doing some reading about him. One thing not many people know about Hogan is that his father committed suicide (shot himself) in the living room while Ben was playing with toys at his father's feet. That might have an effect on most, and make you a touch cold and untrusting.

Anyway, Hogan's life was extremely interesting - at least to me, clearly.

Hogan's comeback was one of the greatest feats in sports history.

Still not one of my favorite golfers. I liked Snead much more.

I think Hogan is one of those guys you just have to respect more than like. Snead could be a real ass too though, but I think he was a little more colorful. Like when he was playing with a rookie and told him "when I was your age, I used to hit it over that tree." The rookie proceeds to try and hits it the middle of tree and Snead then said, "of course that tree was a lot shorter back then."

I have read almost every book ever written about Hogan. I got on a kick/obsession about him several years ago. For those of you that just see Hogan as an ass, I highly recommend doing some reading about him. One thing not many people know about Hogan is that his father committed suicide (shot himself) in the living room while Ben was playing with toys at his father's feet. That might have an effect on most, and make you a touch cold and untrusting.

Anyway, Hogan's life was extremely interesting - at least to me, clearly.

Definitely, it certainly gives one a different perspective on how he acted. He could be an ass, but he had reasons.

I think Hogan is one of those guys you just have to respect more than like. Snead could be a real ass too though, but I think he was a little more colorful. Like when he was playing with a rookie and told him "when I was your age, I used to hit it over that tree." The rookie proceeds to try and hits it the middle of tree and Snead then said, "of course that tree was a lot shorter back then."

Snead was a "character". We tend to be drawn to "characters".

Golf competition and level of play isn't comparable to where it is today vs in Hogan's time so it is not really comparable. Recovering from his car accident is still amazing non the less.

Ya, it's too bad the likes of Snead, Nelson, DeMaret, Middlecoff, Mangrum, Ferrier and Jackie Burke were really average back then. Whatever.

Honestly, it's just sick. And Tiger sycophants should LOVE Brooks cuz he's Tiger 2.0 without the fist pumping madness. Tiger caused Brooks. Relish it. Savor it.

What?

By the time Tiger was Brooks’ age he had 8 majors, including a stretch of 7 in 11, and had spent over 300 weeks at #1.

Brooks has had a great 14 months but there’s a better chance we remember him as great golfer who got hot at the Majors for a couple of years (a la Padraig Harrington) than being anywhere close to Tiger fucking Woods.

And the “fist pumping madness” was/is a feature, not a bug.

Ya, it's too bad the likes of Snead, Nelson, DeMaret, Middlecoff, Mangrum, Ferrier and Jackie Burke were really average back then. Whatever.

It would be interesting to see those guys in their prime playing with today's equipment. I suspect they would be highly competitive. Of course, some of them might have to give up smoking and get on an exercise regimen.

I have never been a big Tiger fan; but I admire the work invested to get back to this level of play. Honestly, I never thought that he would be competitive in majors again. It's too bad for him that there is not another major until next Spring.

tiger haters are so weird

People, namely golf fans (who appreciate golf history) can respect and appreciate what Tiger has accomplished, and what he has done for the game without being fawning sycophants of his "greatness." He didn't exactly comport himself as a likable individual for a very long time, but that's okay. Neither did Nick Faldo. I learned to like Sir Nicky in his retirement and the new Tiger seems much easier to like and enjoy. I don't give a fuck about fist pumps really, although I don't mind them occasionally. No one is going to go out there and try to emulate Tiger that way as they would immediately get labeled a copy cat. You can't fully appreciate what this new generation of golfers is doing without honoring and understanding how Tiger completely changed the game.

It is not a dig on those guys who were amazing golfers, but to say the fields they played against in that time were comparable to today is not thinking critically. So many more young people have the ability to play golf now making the fields so much deeper with talent than they were back in Hogans day. That's not even taking into account the latest in teaching methods, plus workout and fitness routines.

1. “Act like you’ve been there before” is the most boring OWG statement in all of sports.its a kin to saying “get off of my lawn”

2. Koepka doesn’t owe anybody anything, but the media doesn’t owe him excitement when he wins, and sponsers don’t owe him big bucks just for being a top golfer.

TITCR

do you think Snead could learn to play as well as a current pro given a set of 2018 clubs in less than a year vs Koepka learning to play as well as a 40s-60's pro with mid-century equipment

One of my favorite Hogan quotes came from an interview a few weeks after the 1950 US Open. A reporter asked him why he took the seven-iron out of his bag to add the one-iron, with which he hit that iconic shot on the 72nd hole. Hogan looked at the reporter and said, “Because there are no seven-irons at Merion.”

It is not a dig on those guys who were amazing golfers, but to say the fields they played against in that time were comparable to today is not thinking critically. So many more young people have the ability to play golf now making the fields so much deeper with talent than they were back in Hogans day. That's not even taking into account the latest in teaching methods, plus workout and fitness routines.

I wasn't arguing depth...obviously today's PGAT is much deeper with far more players in the field who can win multiple times, let alone just scratch out one win.

But Hogan, Snead, Byron, Mangrum, DeMaret and Middlecoff won a combined 305 times!!! In roughly 25 years. There weren't 45-50 events per season like there is now. I mean, that's roughly a .300 batting average out of 1,000 AB's (probably 40 events X 25 seasons at most) for just 6 guys. If you won as much as Hogan did against those other big guns, bag 9 majors, win a de facto grand slam in 1953 because the PGA was scheduled too close to the British to make it home in time via steamer ship, you are pretty close to being on par with Tiger when it comes to eyebrow-raising achievements. Tiger has set the bar on winning % and dominance for a decade, but by dismissing the accomplishments of Hogan, Snead etc. is no different than arguing Jack isn't the greatest cuz he only had to beat Palmer, Trevino, Player, Miller, Weiskopf, Seve, Watson, Floyd, Casper and Irwin. Field depth doesn't mean so much when 10-12 guys, or in Hogan's case, 6-8 guys, are winning everything in sight. In contrast, the "Big (Other) Four" of Tiger's run (Phil, VJ, Els & Duval) won *only* 109 times with 13 majors. ETA: How the hell could I forget Ernie Els?

Different ways to look at things from a different angle.

Last edited:
How come all the golfers have hot wives? There's gotta be a gay golfer out there, right?

Back