• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 PGA Championship Contest - Entries due Thursday 7:50 am

How come all the golfers have hot wives? There's gotta be a gay golfer out there, right?

Some think it's Rory but he's pretending for sponsor money and equipment contracts.

Has there been an out of the closet gay golfer yet? Would sponsors be loath to want to make a gay golfing stud the center of their advertising campaign?

I hope it happens and breaks a different kind of barrier.

My favorite Hogan stories both have Wake connections:

-Lanny Wadkins played a skins match with Hogan in the 80's. The match ended early, with Wadkins up two holes. Hogan mailed Wadkins a check, which Lanny never cashed. Lanny had it framed saying "Who the hell would cash a check from Ben Hogan for beating him?"

-Hogan's iconic one iron was stolen at the 1950 US Open and was missing for 33 years. When Jack Murdock bought a set of Hogan irons, the seller told him he had a matching one iron, which turned out to be the lost iron.
https://nypost.com/2013/06/11/1-iron-used-by-hogan-at-1950-u-s-open-has-its-own-intriguing-story/

I'd be interested to know how many of those who dislike Koepka like Spieth. He is also pretty boring.

Yeah, at times Hogan was a complete ass.

At times? Thought it was pretty much all the time. I get being self made, coming from extremely humble beginnings, starting off with only a few dollars in his pocket, overcoming his duck hook, clawing his way to the top only to then have to overcome a serious injury. Byron Nelson also grew up in Texas from humble beginnings around the same time as Hogan and was from everything I've read a really nice guy who treated folks kindly. Hogan was just a hard SOB, much like Bobby Jones.

People, namely golf fans (who appreciate golf history) can respect and appreciate what Tiger has accomplished, and what he has done for the game without being fawning sycophants of his "greatness." He didn't exactly comport himself as a likable individual for a very long time, but that's okay. Neither did Nick Faldo. I learned to like Sir Nicky in his retirement and the new Tiger seems much easier to like and enjoy. I don't give a fuck about fist pumps really, although I don't mind them occasionally. No one is going to go out there and try to emulate Tiger that way as they would immediately get labeled a copy cat. You can't fully appreciate what this new generation of golfers is doing without honoring and understanding how Tiger completely changed the game.

I agree with everything else you say, but how exactly have you learned to like Sir Nick in his retirement? The only problem with CBS's coverage is we have to listen to his smug ass in the booth. I like their course reporters, but I'd much rather listen to Hicks and Miller in the booth. On the bright side, at least Faldo and Nantz are still way better than Buck and Azinger.

People, namely golf fans (who appreciate golf history) can respect and appreciate what Tiger has accomplished, and what he has done for the game without being fawning sycophants of his "greatness." He didn't exactly comport himself as a likable individual for a very long time, but that's okay. Neither did Nick Faldo. I learned to like Sir Nicky in his retirement and the new Tiger seems much easier to like and enjoy. I don't give a fuck about fist pumps really, although I don't mind them occasionally. No one is going to go out there and try to emulate Tiger that way as they would immediately get labeled a copy cat. You can't fully appreciate what this new generation of golfers is doing without honoring and understanding how Tiger completely changed the game.

Why is greatness in quotes here?

People “fawn” over Tiger because for a time he was the most dominant golfer, and possibly the most dominant individual athlete, of at least the last 50 years.

Over a 2 year stretch from May 21, 1999 to June 3, 2001, Woods played in 46 golf tournaments. He won 23, had 37 top 5s, 40 top 10s, 0 missed cuts, won 5 majors, and finished 7th or better in the other 3.

That’s basically Ernie Els’ career crammed into two years.

I agree with everything else you say, but how exactly have you learned to like Sir Nick in his retirement? The only problem with CBS's coverage is we have to listen to his smug ass in the booth. I like their course reporters, but I'd much rather listen to Hicks and Miller in the booth. On the bright side, at least Faldo and Nantz are still way better than Buck and Azinger.

Haha, I don't know. Maybe because he does the Thurs/Fri afternoon Golf Channel coverage more than one would think. I enjoy him more during the week than when he's with Nantz. I actually think he's a bit more unfiltered and dare I say "zany" compared to the more straight-laced repartee with Jimmy N. I don't dislike Nantz, but he's a bit too pomp and circumstance on the air and I feel Nick doesn't get to talk enough, but man he can deliver one helluva eulogy (see Arnie's funeral). Final thought on Sir Nick, when he has more of a running dialogue with just one guy, whether it be Gannon or Byrum, he does a better job of conveying his thoughts and insight IMO. When he's competing for time on air with Nantz, Kostis and IBF, he just gets lost in the shuffle.

PS -- I love Trevor Immelman in the booth, just the right amount of enthusiasm and awe without being a fan boy. Not to mention he knows strategy and what it takes to win under pressure. Shame he didn't have a better career.

Some think it's Rory but he's pretending for sponsor money and equipment contracts.

Has there been an out of the closet gay golfer yet? Would sponsors be loath to want to make a gay golfing stud the center of their advertising campaign?

I hope it happens and breaks a different kind of barrier.

LPGA has always been open about having lesbians on the tour, though most of them have come out later in or after their careers. As for active players, I think Mel Reid plays for the other team, though I don't think is very public about it (and she's 1 of the hottest golfers out there). I don't remember any PGA golfers coming out, even after their careers, though there have got to be gay golfers out there. And probably for good reason. You've had some cement heads like Bubba and Elkington make some very anti-gay public statements, so you'd have to put up with that. And you'd have the concern about potentially losing advertising revenue. So why chance it. Golf both on tour and off tends to be more conservative than the other pro sports - lots of Pubs and lots of evangelicals. But if you want to get an idea as to whether a player might be gay, the best you can probably do is look at his wiki page and see if there is no personal life section.

Haha, I don't know. Maybe because he does the Thurs/Fri afternoon Golf Channel coverage more than one would think. I enjoy him more during the week than when he's with Nantz. I actually think he's a bit more unfiltered and dare I say "zany" compared to the more straight-laced repartee with Jimmy N. I don't dislike Nantz, but he's a bit too pomp and circumstance on the air and I feel Nick doesn't get to talk enough, but man he can deliver one helluva eulogy (see Arnie's funeral). Final thought on Sir Nick, when he has more of a running dialogue with just one guy, whether it be Gannon or Byrum, he does a better job of conveying his thoughts and insight IMO. When he's competing for time on air with Nantz, Kostis and IBF, he just gets lost in the shuffle.

PS -- I love Trevor Immelman in the booth, just the right amount of enthusiasm and awe without being a fan boy. Not to mention he knows strategy and what it takes to win under pressure. Shame he didn't have a better career.

Agree Faldo is more tolerable on Thu/Fri and also really like TGC's crew - like Gannon, Byrum, Immelman, Rankin and really like Foltz - would like to see him get a prime booth job at some point.

Why is greatness in quotes here?

People “fawn” over Tiger because for a time he was the most dominant golfer, and possibly the most dominant individual athlete, of at least the last 50 years.

Poor attempt at my part to refer to his greatness as more than just his dominance in golf...IOW, he was the biggest "attraction" golf had ever seen. And yes, part of that is the obvious fact he was African-Caucalasian or however the hell it is they were referring to him when he came onto the scene. His greatness encompassed far more than his dominance over a bunch of spoiled country club brats because he is black and brought golf more into the "cool" side of the sports ledger. To me, that didn't matter as no one had ever seen a guy be so clutch for so long over a 9-10 year stretch. Most of the historical greats put together impressive 2-5 year runs, and Byron and Hogan both have ridiculous single season win totals (as well as two and three season totals), but only Jack has come close to his 10 year span of dominance in majors (2nd 19 times???!!). However, not even Jack won with as much frequency on the regular tour as Tiger did...what was it 28-30% of every event he entered he won?? Absurd.

I was talking about how he is dominating majors...jeezus you are such a tool.

My sincere apologies. Is this better?

Honestly, it's just sick. And Tiger sycophants should LOVE Brooks cuz he's Tiger 2.0 [only in dominating majors, obviously] without the fist pumping madness. Tiger caused Brooks. Relish it. Savor it.

What?

By the time Tiger was Brooks’ age he had 8 majors, including a stretch of 7 in 11 (by an average of 4.7 strokes).

Koepka has 3 of the last 7 (by an average of 2.3 strokes) making him more like Padraig Harrington 2.0 (who won 3 of 6 in 2007-8 by an average of 2.3 strokes). If he wins 2 or 3 next year then we can break out the Tiger (or Jack or Arnie or whoever) comparisons.

Poor attempt at my part to refer to his greatness as more than just his dominance in golf...IOW, he was the biggest "attraction" golf had ever seen. And yes, part of that is the obvious fact he was African-Caucalasian or however the hell it is they were referring to him when he came onto the scene. His greatness encompassed far more than his dominance over a bunch of spoiled country club brats because he is black and brought golf more into the "cool" side of the sports ledger. To me, that didn't matter as no one had ever seen a guy be so clutch for so long over a 9-10 year stretch. Most of the historical greats put together impressive 2-5 year runs, and Byron and Hogan both have ridiculous single season win totals (as well as two and three season totals), but only Jack has come close to his 10 year span of dominance in majors (2nd 19 times???!!). However, not even Jack won with as much frequency on the regular tour as Tiger did...what was it 28-30% of every event he entered he won?? Absurd.

So are you upset because in addition to recognizing how absurd Tiger was at golf some people also recognized how great Tiger’s story and persona were (or something like that)?

Ok.

I guess we should all stop fawning over Arnold Palmer’s “greatness” and just appreciate how well he played the game.

My sincere apologies. Is this better?

What?

By the time Tiger was Brooks’ age he had 8 majors, including a stretch of 7 in 11 (by an average of 4.7 strokes).

Koepka has 3 of the last 7 (by an average of 2.3 strokes) making him more like Padraig Harrington 2.0 (who won 3 of 6 in 2007-8 by an average of 2.3 strokes). If he wins 2 or 3 next year then we can break out the Tiger (or Jack or Arnie or whoever) comparisons.

Again you miss the point...I'm talking about the way in which he wins majors...just stomping on people's throats and putting the throttle down when his pursuers get near him. I'm not talking about records. No one is in Tiger's league besides Jack. The come Hogan, Jones, Snead, Palmer and Player.

These kids grew up idolizing Tiger and now some of them win like Tiger with a new brand of blended power and finesse. Christ.

Back