• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Allowing Agents to Rep Players, Undrafted Players to Return to School (NCAAB)

WFUWaldo

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Per Jeff Goodman’s Twitter:

NCAA announces it is implementing several recommendations:

- Players can be repped by agents.
- Agents must be certified by an NCAA program
- Players can be eligible for NBA Draft and return to school if undrafted

Another interesting one is that kids can take up to 15 official visits starting August 1st of junior year

Agree with the NCAA's move. FWIW, not sure if this rule was in effect for the last academic year if it would've changed anything for Doral and Bryant, including their failure to return to school.

Seems fair, should help with some problems. My one concern is what if a player announces he is leaving, gets recruited over, and now the school has no scholarship left?

Seems fair, should help with some problems. My one concern is what if a player announces he is leaving, gets recruited over, and now the school has no scholarship left?

That’s for coaches to figure out. They should have a good enough relationship with the player.

I would suppose that if a player declares for the draft his school is free to suspend his scholarship and give it to an incoming freshman? But if that should happen and the player goes undrafted, is he free to be recruited by another college for whatever eligibility he has left?

I realize that a college is not likely to suspend a scholarship belonging to a player good enough to apply to the draft; but there are exceptions.

I assume freshman redshirt/greyshirts are going rise drastically

The Iron Triangle of Agent-Shoe Company-Coach/University will also become more prominent, which is fine as it’s already happening at most schools anyways.

I assume freshman redshirt/greyshirts are going rise drastically

The Iron Triangle of Agent-Shoe Company-Coach/University will also become more prominent, which is fine as it’s already happening at most schools anyways.

Greyshirts- How? The basketball season expands both semesters.

Will the agents want to wait a year (or more) to get paid? Will some of them go to a flat fee model (with or without money up front)? It will be interesting to see how that side of the situation plays out. Not that I care about the agents getting paid. I just want the players to be getting good, ethical (a relative term) advice.

This makes sense. The NCAA must have been sued.

Yeah, I'm curious what the fees are signing with an agent.

Nothing's going to be perfect, but this is an obvious step in the right direction.

There are no fees to sign with an agent. In fact, if you are good, it's the opposite. The agent will front you money until the draft.

What will be interesting to see how many players are denied return to schools for taking "benefits" from agents.

Agents have to be certified by an NCAA program - any program? Or will there be a master list of certified agents? Not that a student would be foolish enough to sign with an uncertified agent. Just curious how many agents won’t get certified.

Agents have to be certified by an NCAA program - any program? Or will there be a master list of certified agents? Not that a student would be foolish enough to sign with an uncertified agent. Just curious how many agents won’t get certified.

NCAA would be doing the members a solid by setting up an agent "clearinghouse" or certifying group similar to the one that vets student athletes. Don't make individual schools responsible for certifying agents.

There are no fees to sign with an agent. In fact, if you are good, it's the opposite. The agent will front you money until the draft.

What will be interesting to see how many players are denied return to schools for taking "benefits" from agents.
So there'd be no upfront fees if, say, Melo Eggleston wanted to sign with an agent?

Back