• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta school removes morning pledge of allegiance

Anybody else had to say a state pledge of allegiance after the US one? In Texas we did.

“Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

I didn't, but my kids did. They're in high school now. When they were in elementary school I let them now I fully supported them not participating.

This is not a commentary on your particular school, but in general I think the response to anti-immigrant policies and rhetoric has to be: "That's not American," not "America is anti-immigrant so forget America." I understand how that can sound pollyannaish given our current reality, but what is the alternative? I feel like now more than ever it should be reaffirmed, in schools especially, that nativism is inconsistent with patriotism and American values.

But that’s the problem. Nativism is a consistent part of American values. We can’t just ignore that in our history and hope to forget it in the present. We have to change this country to be more accepting of immigrants and stop the ugly hazing rituals every large first wave of immigrants faces when they come here.

But that’s the problem. Nativism is a consistent part of American values. We can’t just ignore that in our history and hope to forget it in the present. We have to change this country to be more accepting of immigrants and stop the ugly hazing rituals every large first wave of immigrants faces when they come here.

I agree with all of this except the suggestion that patriotism ignores the ugly parts of America's past and present. On the contrary, the unprecedented grassroots campaigning taking place ahead of these midterms, driven by the recent increase in ugliness and a belief in democracy to change it, is one of the most patriotic efforts in recent memory. I want schools to teach stuff like that.

Nativism ignores the bad stuff. Nativism is too often confused with patriotism.

I did when I was teaching in Austin. If the kids made it through the first (USA) one, they normally didn't complete the Texas version that followed it. I stopped
pledging to Texas" after about my second week of teaching.

I also made sure to educate my children on how much of disaster the Republic of Texas actually was, and how they begged their way into the Union.

Anybody else had to say a state pledge of allegiance after the US one? In Texas we did.

“Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

This pledge is not true. Texas can split itself into 5 total states, so it's not indivisible.

I remember reciting the Texas pledge in elementary school. It was silly.

State history is a big deal there and it plays into the 'Don't mess with Texas/Everything is bigger in Texas' mentality.

the Texas State History Museum is made of stone and hubris

that place was insufferable

Worse than the Alamo? That was horrible.

Back