• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Always amusing to see an ambulance chaser masquerading as a real lawyer.

This is very serious. Anxious to see how WF handles it.

I guess you'd assert a "defense of others" from deadly force in order to justify your intervention, and that would seem pretty strong under the facts we know now. But this is NY and it's a Leftist venue where people don't like defenses to deadly assaults -- although the racial card doesn't appear to work against him.

Not necessarily. There’s a good chance of an acquittal if he takes it to trial. Hard to fire him if a jury agrees with a justification defense.

Not necessarily. There’s a good chance of an acquittal if he takes it to trial. Hard to fire him if a jury agrees with a justification defense.

He showed terrible judgment and is a representative of our university. I don't care if he ends up being acquitted, he should be out the door immediately.

Maybe. The one article said the ME would be looking at whether the punch caused the death. There’s another layer here - if the concrete caused the death, now you have a causation issue because the victim was drunk.

I’m saying he’s lucky the one punch death felony law hasn’t passed yet

I definitely think we should jump to conclusions based on incomplete information. Seems like the best decision.

Maybe. The one article said the ME would be looking at whether the punch caused the death. There’s another layer here - if the concrete caused the death, now you have a causation issue because the victim was drunk.

Also, if he knocked him out instantly, would being drunk even matter?

Any decent lawyer should know better than speculating about any case without full knowledge of the facts. I’ll wait to see if we have any posters with experience in NY criminal courts. Meanwhile, all you NC lawyers can keep giving your worthless opinions.

He showed terrible judgment and is a representative of our university. I don't care if he ends up being acquitted, he should be out the door immediately.

Fleeing the scene is perhaps the most damning element. Hard to justify taking flight.

So did he really go up there to turn himself in without telling anyone at Wake in advance?

Any decent lawyer should know better than speculating about any case without full knowledge of the facts. I’ll wait to see if we have any posters with experience in NY criminal courts. Meanwhile, all you NC lawyers can keep giving your worthless opinions.

I've watched about 50 episodes of Law and Order, mostly on accident.

This guy represents WFU, the basketball program and should be a role model to the players. He has to better than that. Fire him.

Back