• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Almost certainly no, unless he was actively recruiting/etc at 1 am in the morning since otherwise he would have been outside the scope of his employment duties at the time of the incident.

He was with a 17 year old male at the time of the incident. If not a recruit, then who?

“pathetic” “classless”

Thanks. My phone rings for a reason. Wake needs to focus on winning. Let some life losers call you classless. It’s worth it.

He was with a 17 year old male at the time of the incident. If not a recruit, then who?

Are coaches allowed to take recruits out like that for as night out on the town? Does taking a teenage recruit out passed 1 AM make any sense for a Coach?

Misdemeanor charge and released on own recognizance. This is tragic bad luck.
There's a good chance he didn't hit the man hard at all, he was drunk and fell. Too bad he left the scene without waiting for the ambulance.

Misdemeanor charge and released on own recognizance. This is tragic bad luck.
There's a good chance he didn't hit the man hard at all, he was drunk and fell. Too bad he left the scene without waiting for the ambulance.
The victim had fractures on the left side of his face. I think Jones hit him pretty damn hard.

Most pub about Wake Hoops program in last decade.

#wellmanout

The victim had fractures on the left side of his face. I think Jones hit him pretty damn hard.

Damn. It’s not going to go on Ryan Horn’s Instagram but damn.

I don't see anything that says he was "with" a 17 year old. Just that a 17 year old "witness" helped move the injured guy to the sidewalk or something like that. I took that to mean that the 17 year old just happened to be right there when all this went down. If the 17 year old was with Jones, I would think they would call him something like a passenger, aquaintence, etc.

“pathetic” “classless”

Thanks. My phone rings for a reason. Wake needs to focus on winning. Let some life losers call you classless. It’s worth it.

I make a statement about a bad post by you, not you personally (in fact I said "You know I love you buddy") and this is your response.

Fuck you Drew!

I make a statement about a bad post by you, not you personally (in fact I said "You know I love you buddy") and this is your response.

Fuck you Drew!

Yea we are way past being pissed. 2 decades of losing. Now our assistant has punched and killed someone. The inner squabble has long been on.

Seems like WF didn't get a heads up that this was happening.

Can we go back to this statement for a moment? How in the hell do you go almost FIVE full days and not know that one of your coaches likely killed someone!!?!?!?

You start firing until you get to the asshole who knew about this for almost a full week and never officially notified the university or immediate boss. Perhaps it was only Jones and he never told a single soul. Then so be it. He's gone. My hunch is this went higher than just him.

This is what you said "Let some life losers call you classless. "

That has NOTHING to do with your response above. Of course, you are too "tough" to admit how out of bounds your response was to me.

BTW, if you had paid ANY attention over the past 5+ years, you'd have seen me calling for Wellman's firing many, many times.

If Jones told the school in any way I am sure they contacted the authorities to arrange for him to turn himself in.

If Jones told the school in any way I am sure they contacted the authorities to arrange for him to turn himself in.

Well, as of 7:28 pm on August 9th, they state they had no knowledge of the situation and had "just been made aware". I'm calling bullshit but maybe Jones thought he could handle by himself. It will come out soon enough.

Last edited:
Can we go back to this statement for a moment? How in the hell do you go almost FIVE full days and not know that one of your coaches likely killed someone!!?!?!?

You start firing until you get to the asshole who knew about this for almost a full week and never officially notified the university or immediate boss. Perhaps it was only Jones and he never told a single soul. Then so be it. He's gone. My hunch is this went higher than just him.

They’re in summer mode. Shorts, flip flops and getting paid not to work. That said, such a tragic, tragic situation for all involved.

The sequence of notification could prove interesting. I imagine that Hatch is feeling the heat from the BOT.

I don’t know NY law, but murder is fairly consistent across all states. I agree that if the State wanted to they could charge him with second degree murder. Definitely would be overcharging the case, but let’s not act like prosecutors don’t do that everyday in order to ultimately try and plead him to a lesser of manslaughter.

Also, a lot of conflicting reports right now. Depending on what you read it’s anything from a completely unprovoked attack to defending another citizen. As always, best to wait to see how things shake out.

I will await the verifiable facts here before making any hard conclusions, and so should everyone else. My thoughts are with the families of everybody involved in this tragic event

Last edited:
Terrible, tragic events all the way around, especially for the immediate families involved. As far as the Wake Forest basketball family is concerned ... sigh.

Back