• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Let's say you had a carry permit and had a firearm in your vehicle. You find yourself in a situation where a crazy fucker is pounding on your vehicle at 1AM in the morning. What would be a reasonable response? Seems to me leaving the scene is the problem here as the "punching " may be a reasonable reaction to what was happening to provoke it. If you thought someone was trying to enter your vehicle in the wee hours I think a jury probably would say it would be okay to shoot the stupid sumabitch.

I don’t know NY law, but murder is fairly consistent across all states. I agree that if the State wanted to they could charge him with second degree murder. Definitely would be overcharging the case, but let’s not act like prosecutors don’t do that everyday in order to ultimately try and plead him to a lesser of manslaughter.

Also, a lot of conflicting reports right now. Depending on what you read it’s anything from a completely unprovoked attack to defending another citizen. As always, best to wait to see how things shake out.

100% correct. Most Prosecutors are not noble or cooperative. They want to put people in jail and for a long time. Fact patterns like this are very confusing to those that don’t spend time in criminal court. Statements like “he had it coming” are very dangerous. Do not put yourself in this position and hope the DA will understand.

Finally, while I agree the justice system needs to play itself out in terms of guilt or punishment, Wake hoops cannot wait. We have every right to fire him even if all of the allegations are untrue and should immediately.

Again, I realize it sounds cold, but Wake fans must be calling for ADs head here and now. Two decades of losing is enough.

Let's say you had a carry permit and had a firearm in your vehicle. You find yourself in a situation where a crazy fucker is pounding on your vehicle at 1AM in the morning. What would be a reasonable response? Seems to me leaving the scene is the problem here as the "punching " may be a reasonable reaction to what was happening to provoke it. If you thought someone was trying to enter your vehicle in the wee hours I think a jury probably would say it would be okay to shoot the stupid sumabitch.

I highly recommend you don’t try this theory. Most conservative NC counties, you are looking at a conviction and an underpaid young ADA seeking life without parole.

Nah, if you fear for your life it's justifiable. That's how the cops plead.

Reasonable and rational done left the train. Nondeadly force (hitting car) does not justify deadly force (violent death punch). Go ask thousands imprisoned for decades for just this situation.

If he was on a recruiting trip, then I assume the car he was in was a rental. I doubt we expect our coaches to drive that far to visit someone. So if a rental, who gives a damn is some drunk bangs on it? I hope his response was triggered by the drunk's punching a bystander, not the banging on his car. Too bad he left the scene as it undermines whether he was justified. He knows he wasn't.

100% correct. Most Prosecutors are not noble or cooperative. They want to put people in jail and for a long time. Fact patterns like this are very confusing to those that don’t spend time in criminal court. Statements like “he had it coming” are very dangerous. Do not put yourself in this position and hope the DA will understand.

Finally, while I agree the justice system needs to play itself out in terms of guilt or punishment, Wake hoops cannot wait. We have every right to fire him even if all of the allegations are untrue and should immediately.

Again, I realize it sounds cold, but Wake fans must be calling for ADs head here and now. Two decades of losing is enough.

Shut the fuck up Donny.

You are the one in the car. Why wouldn't you just drive away? Let's hope you never get a carry permit.

If he was on a recruiting trip, then I assume the car he was in was a rental. I doubt we expect our coaches to drive that far to visit someone. So if a rental, who gives a damn is some drunk bangs on it? I hope his response was triggered by the drunk's punching a bystander, not the banging on his car. Too bad he left the scene as it undermines whether he was justified. He knows he wasn't.

Wasn’t what? If Jones saw the drunk punch the guy in the face, he probably confronted him and was hit by verbal abuse and perhaps perceived a threat to his safety. The drunk could have been moving toward Jones when the punch was thrown. Let the facts come out before rushing to judgement.

“pathetic” “classless”

Thanks. My phone rings for a reason. Wake needs to focus on winning. Let some life losers call you classless. It’s worth it.

As the last two years have more than proved, success and morality are not related.

Can we go back to this statement for a moment? How in the hell do you go almost FIVE full days and not know that one of your coaches likely killed someone!!?!?!?

You start firing until you get to the asshole who knew about this for almost a full week and never officially notified the university or immediate boss. Perhaps it was only Jones and he never told a single soul. Then so be it. He's gone. My hunch is this went higher than just him.

Easy. He found out the guy died and hired a lawyer to help turn himself in. Any lawyer worth a shit would tell him not to say a word to anyone until that happens.

I don’t know NY law, but murder is fairly consistent across all states. I agree that if the State wanted to they could charge him with second degree murder. Definitely would be overcharging the case, but let’s not act like prosecutors don’t do that everyday in order to ultimately try and plead him to a lesser of manslaughter.

Also, a lot of conflicting reports right now. Depending on what you read it’s anything from a completely unprovoked attack to defending another citizen. As always, best to wait to see how things shake out.

New York requires either intent to kill or depraved indifference to human life for murder 2nd. No way these facts meet that standard.

Anyone looking to use this incident to push an agenda (anti-AD or anti-basketball coach for example) is pathetic, as is the rush to judgment without a full knowledge of the facts. Just a sad and tragic series of events.

I'm sorry, but we're at the point where if it takes some poor drunk bastard getting punched in the face to get rid of Wellman, than I'm sorry but

LEN2sxN.jpg

Wasn’t what? If Jones saw the drunk punch the guy in the face, he probably confronted him and was hit by verbal abuse and perhaps perceived a threat to his safety. The drunk could have been moving toward Jones when the punch was thrown. Let the facts come out before rushing to judgement.

And then he fled the scene of the crime and apparently didn't tell his employer about the situation. The motive for the punch is just window dressing. Jones should be fired immediately regardless. He is a representative of our univeristy, and even the most positive spin has terrible optics.

I rarely come to these boards anymore. Thought I'd check in to see about this situation. Reading this thread, I remember why I stopped coming to these boards. Lots of ignorant assholes present just like before. Carry on morons.

I don't think he can remain at Wake but from watching that video, the fact that he actually is responsible for someone's death mijght be much worse for him.

Back