• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

I rarely come to these boards anymore. Thought I'd check in to see about this situation. Reading this thread, I remember why I stopped coming to these boards. Lots of ignorant assholes present just like before. Carry on morons.

Yorkpeppermintpatty in da house!!

Not necessarily. There’s a good chance of an acquittal if he takes it to trial. Hard to fire him if a jury agrees with a justification defense.

he got out of his car to fight a drunk at 1am on a recruiting trip. That is all you need to fire him.

Was CP3s donation designated? Or could it be used for, ohhhh, let's say, legal fees?

he got out of his car to fight a drunk at 1am on a recruiting trip. That is all you need to fire him.

That and the fact that Wake Forest (that would be his employer) didn't learn about this shit-show until last night. At least according to Wake's statement posted earlier in this thread.
He put Wake in a fucking horrible position from a PR standpoint.

What else could possible go wrong with our basketball program? :rulz: I was making fun of a Tarhole buddy and their shoe deal. Now we get this.

Wrong. My prediction was he would be charged with 2nd degree murder. That remains my prediction. Is it fair? Of course not. But the elements are there. And this wouldn’t be rogue at all. Normal course for prosecutors trying to make a name and get a paying job.

You are so fucking stupid. Let's all just say a little prayer and be thankful that none of us will ever have to take counsel from our resident rotund redhead from Greensboro.

The elements are not even close to being there.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/penal-law/pen-sect-125-25.html

That is NYs '2nd degree murder' statute. There are no prongs of that statute that fit these facts. None.

You would either have to pigeonhole it into "Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes the death of another person," but that doesn't work because punching someone 1 time in no way exhibits "depraved indifference to human life".

Otherwise, you would have to find a felony to charge him with, and then try to get to felony murder. But there is no underlying felony here either. Just nonsense.

IF it is true, as has been reported, that there was a local resident that confronted Sazbozo after he was causing a ruckus at 1AM, and then Bozo punched that 3rd party, and then coach came to defense of said third party by punching him back, then there is no crime. You have the right to come to the defense of another and use equal force, which is what sounds like what happened. If that is the case, he may not should even be charged with the misdemeanor assault 3, or leaving the scene of a crime, unless maybe he is bound to stick around to report the original crime, which was Bozo's assault on the neighbor.

If he hit the guy justifiably coming to the defense of another, I'm not sure what duty, if any, he owed to Sazbozo.

This should be pretty easy to sort out, since you have at least the neighbor and the kid as witnesses.

All that being said, leaving a dying guy on the street who is bleeding out, and then not mentioning that (or lying) to your bosses in a public facing job, is not a good look. So I think he should probably be let go. Just a sad turn of luck all around.

The lesson, as always, dont listen to DR.

Is the media still portraying this as an "Uber mix up"? Wasn't that just something the guy's brother speculated on? And it sounds like that is not the case at all based on other info that has come out about the guy being drunk and belligerent and then punching someone that confronted him about his behavior. Not saying the guy deserved to die or that Jones should have punched him, but it certainly wasn't a matter of this guy just politely tapping on the wrong car's window.

You are so fucking stupid. Let's all just say a little prayer and be thankful that none of us will ever have to take counsel from our resident rotund redhead from Greensboro.

The elements are not even close to being there.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/penal-law/pen-sect-125-25.html

That is NYs '2nd degree murder' statute. There are no prongs of that statute that fit these facts. None.

You would either have to pigeonhole it into "Under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person, and thereby causes the death of another person," but that doesn't work because punching someone 1 time in no way exhibits "depraved indifference to human life".

Otherwise, you would have to find a felony to charge him with, and then try to get to felony murder. But there is no underlying felony here either. Just nonsense.

IF it is true, as has been reported, that there was a local resident that confronted Sazbozo after he was causing a ruckus at 1AM, and then Bozo punched that 3rd party, and then coach came to defense of said third party by punching him back, then there is no crime. You have the right to come to the defense of another and use equal force, which is what sounds like what happened. If that is the case, he may not should even be charged with the misdemeanor assault 3, or leaving the scene of a crime, unless maybe he is bound to stick around to report the original crime, which was Bozo's assault on the neighbor.

If he hit the guy justifiably coming to the defense of another, I'm not sure what duty, if any, he owed to Sazbozo.

This should be pretty easy to sort out, since you have at least the neighbor and the kid as witnesses.

All that being said, leaving a dying guy on the street who is bleeding out, and then not mentioning that (or lying) to your bosses in a public facing job, is not a good look. So I think he should probably be let go. Just a sad turn of luck all around.

The lesson, as always, dont listen to DR.

That and nothing good happens out after midnight

This is a sad situation for all involved. Most of all for the family and friends of the deceased. Go to the big city for a wedding of a family member and have it end in death. Shocking, stunning and extremely sad.

My condolences to all of his family aand friends.

You get out-of-control drunk and start trying to damage cars and then punch a guy in the face for trying to stop your hooligan conduct and it's not expected that you could get seriously messed up? This is similar to the dudes who think they can try to grab a police officer's gun and then charge him and are surprised when they end up riddled with bullets.

I probably had it coming (drunk, ongoing issues with the guy) but I caught a sucker punch from a WS TV sports anchor and hit the parking lot pavement about 32 years ago. Trying to get up, was tackled by a (now) longtime PGA pro. Ambulance to NCBH for emergency surgery for severe clavicle fracture. No charges were filed. None. Had I died during surgery, the case might have blown up like this one has. The drunk in NYC probably deserved a punch too.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've checked the boards in about 6 months. I see that RJ and Ph are still giving you all plenty to laugh about. You can't buy entertainment this good.

I probably had it coming (drunk, ongoing issues with the guy) but I caught a sucker punch from a WS sportscaster and hit the parking lot pavement about 32 years ago. Trying to get up, was tackled by a (now) longtime PGA pro. Ambulance to NCBH for emergency surgery for severe clavicle fracture. No charges were filed. None. Had I died during surgery, the case might have blown up like this one has. The drunk in NYC probably deserved a punch too.

^^For a variety of reasons, this is an epic post.

Let's let the facts come out. If they drop the charges, Wake should keep him.
Ugh. No. At the very least, he fled the scene when a guy was bleeding unconsciously on the sidewalk. He's gotta go. Period.

Back