• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

This this whole thing is really hard to believe. Our assistant coach killed a guy with his fists on the streets of New York. Even if it was an accident, holy shit. What a fiasco.

This this whole thing is really hard to believe. Our assistant coach killed a guy with his fists on the streets of New York. Even if it was an accident, holy shit. What a fiasco.
Yeah, really. ATS said something similar yesterday. Between Skip going for a regular-old run on some random summer day and having a heart attack, the marching band/sexual assault situation, and now this, there has been some really "not-ordinary" stuff that has happened in the program the last decade.

Yeah, really. ATS said something similar yesterday. Between Skip going for a regular-old run on some random summer day and having a heart attack, the marching band/sexual assault situation, and now this, there has been some really "not-ordinary" stuff that has happened in the program the last decade.

But, according to the Sunshine Brigade, we've been featured on the Today Show twice in the past decade! So, we got that going for us.

Surely he will be let go, but I as far as facts are concerned, Jones was the one who picked the guy up off the sidewalk and was trying to prop him up/clear his throat (i.e., keep him alive). Not sure if he was the one who called 911, but my understanding per NY reports are that he waited around until the guy was in the ambulance (i.e., nothing more for him to do) and took off (i.e., hightailed it) before the police connected the dots.

How could he from a logistics standpoint stay on while this is going on? Is he going to continue recruiting and fulfilling his other coaching duties? Are we going to just operate down an assistant coach until this gets resolved which could be years?

Probably closer to 6 months. 90 days if the charges aren't upgraded.

I probably had it coming (drunk, ongoing issues with the guy) but I caught a sucker punch from a WS TV sports anchor and hit the parking lot pavement about 32 years ago. Trying to get up, was tackled by a (now) longtime PGA pro. Ambulance to NCBH for emergency surgery for severe clavicle fracture. No charges were filed. None. Had I died during surgery, the case might have blown up like this one has. The drunk in NYC probably deserved a punch too.

Darren, Len or Billy?

This is the first time I've checked the boards in about 6 months. I see that RJ and Ph are still giving you all plenty to laugh about. You can't buy entertainment this good.

How many under the floorboards goths are we up to at this point?

Idle hands are the Devil’s workshop.

Surely he will be let go, but I as far as facts are concerned, Jones was the one who picked the guy up off the sidewalk and was trying to prop him up/clear his throat (i.e., keep him alive). Not sure if he was the one who called 911, but my understanding per NY reports are that he waited around until the guy was in the ambulance (i.e., nothing more for him to do) and took off (i.e., hightailed it) before the police connected the dots.

Link? I guess there are conflicting accounts, but I thought the 17 year old reported that Jones helped move the victim but left before the Ambulance arrived. Not sure how many times you've called 911, but usually the police come right along with the ambulance, usually they get there first, especially on the streets of NY at 1 am.

ETA: I've only had two 911 calls in my experience but my wife was an EMT on Virginia before heading to vet school. She's told me the police almost always go on emergency calls.

Last edited:
It’s almost like we need more information. But I agree that unless the story comes out a very specific way, Jones needs to go. And if he hasn’t shared that story with his employer, he needs to go.

It’s almost like we need more information. But I agree that unless the story comes out a very specific way, Jones needs to go. And if he hasn’t shared that story with his employer, he needs to go.
Yep, regardless of whether he is criminally culpable for his actions that night, if he didn't give WF a heads up that this happened (or at least that he was going to NYC to turn himself in), he put the university in an awful spot and probably will face termination for that alone.

In fact, even if WF is not that mad over not being told, I wouldn't be surprised if WF still chooses to use "failure to report" as their avenue to handle the situation. That way they can appear to support a person's due process rights while also separating from the bad PR employee.

Fuck that. If we dismiss him we're back to the bottom of the barrel confused with Lake Forest no one remembers you nothing we've been the last decade. Own it, and keep All Eyez on Us.

SpitefulSorrowfulAustraliansilkyterrier-size_restricted.gif

You just know the result of this will be Manning’s son becoming the 3rd assistant.

Darren, Len or Billy?

The one who named his son after the sportscaster. BTW, I buried the hatchet with the sportscaster long ago and have no hard feelings for either of them. The golfer was actually my fraternity brother but I had graduated from undergrad before he started school at WFU. Like I said, I probably had it coming. When I read this story about Jones, it brought back the bad memory. Nightmare, really.

Not surprising, but the Today video makes Jones and Wake by proxy look terrible.

Back