• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

b/c really, who fucking cares about a WF asst. coach punching a dude except WFU people and the dude's family

So dozens (maybe hundreds?) of news outlets are posting stories about it? If you're going to report/investigate, why not do it the right way?

The New York Post has a three-byline story with multiple sources that was updated numerous times last night. The Winston-Salem Journal has covered the story well from a Wake Forest perspective, given the constraints of minimum information coming from the university at this point (likely because of legal concerns). I'm not really sure what else you're looking for.

Such a weird take. If people aren't going to care, then why run it (or multiple stories on it) at all? If you're going to run it, do the research to find out what actually happened and write/produce a solid story.

Such a weird take. If people aren't going to care, then why run it (or multiple stories on it) at all? If you're going to run it, do the research to find out what actually happened and write/produce a solid story.

weird take? you act like the news industry doesn't run on being first vs correct

It will be very interesting to read the coroner's report to see how they determined a man died from a punch to the cheek. Even with a facial fracture, there must have been significant local hemorrhage which was able to be completely differentiated from any bleeding that could have occurred from the fall, or else JJ put his hand directly into the guy's cerebral cortex in his follow thru.

Les, I never would typically look at the NYPost for news/journalism, but you're right in that they appear to have the strongest coverage of the incident. This quote from their article this morning is interesting.

“I can tell you the reason why the charge is what it is now — the reason why it’s the appropriate charge — is because the District Attorney’s Office and I obtained information that the public does not have,” Massena told The Post on Friday morning.

“If we were to put all of the information out there, I think it would paint a different picture of that night. But our concern right now is to respect the fact that a family has lost its son.”

Granted that was before the ME came out with his/her findings.

Both the outlets have ran solid stories. This is surely a tale that will be told more in-depth when and if it ever goes to trial. The alleged victim obviously can't speak on the issue now, and the lawyers will be telling everyone else involved to be quiet.

Les, I never would typically look at the NYPost for news/journalism, but you're right in that they appear to have the strongest coverage of the incident. This quote from their article this morning is interesting.

Granted that was before the ME came out with his/her findings.

I agree with you a BILLION percent on the NY Post take. Was quite surprised to see them take the lead and do a great job last night. Always considered them more tabloid-ish.

Yikes! I have been away for a few months and I see this as one of the first threads. This isn't a good look for the basketball program or the university. As in all trials, I will wait to see the evidence before condemning a party.

But Jones’ lawyer, Alain Massena, said the homicide classification doesn’t necessarily mean murder charges are in the pipeline.

He pointed to the Eric Garner case, which was also ruled a homicide, though a Staten Island grand jury ultimately declined to indict NYPD Officer Daniel Panteleo in Garner’s death.

Yeah, I'm sure Jones will get similar treatment as the cop who murdered Eric Garner

weird take? you act like the news industry doesn't run on being first vs correct

Dear lord. That is my point. The news industry has transitioned even more towards that modus operandi in recent years. It's one of the reason why it's so pathetic.

I'll try to explain something. Not sure if it will help anyone, but I'll try.

A medial examiner finding of "homicide" basically means that the ME, with the evidence he/she has, has formed a medical opinion that the person would not have died if not for the action of someone that led to the death. In this case, a punch leading to falling and hitting the head on the pavement. Could have been a shove that led to the fall and fatal blow to the head on the ground (or a shove into an oncoming vehicle, etc). The punch/shove/whatever is not necessarily the thing that has to do the worst damage directly.

They may or may not determine, or be able to determine, precisely which "blow" in this case was most injurious. But the finding, thus far, i think, simply means they feel the deceased would not have died if he hadn't been struck by someone. So the medical opinion is that the manner of death was a homicide, not an accident, suicide, or natural death. This is not the same thing as "murder", which I think is more a legal term.

I know nothing of how DAs decide what to charge.

Yikes! I have been away for a few months and I see this as one of the first threads. This isn't a good look for the basketball program or the university. As in all trials, I will wait to see the evidence before condemning a party.

So this topic wasn’t why you returned to the boards? You just happened to return today and this news was breaking? Because if you came out of hibernation for this reason I would assume this is the first thread you’d expect to see on top?

Lester Holt just said Wake was a basketball powerhouse on the NBC nightly news:eek:

Back