• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Probably deserves its own thread but JGray names DBO. Seems to pave the way for a formal split from Jones.

Probably deserves its own thread but JGray names DBO. Seems to pave the way for a formal split from Jones.

Where are you getting this? It's a Deacon Club position.

https://wakeforestsports.com/news/2018/8/28/mens-basketball-justin-gray-joins-deacon-club-staff.aspx

"As Director of Basketball Development, Gray will work to create an atmosphere of engagement and development among former basketball players. He will work with basketball alumni to support the program, both financially and through advocacy. In addition, he will serve as an ambassador for Wake Forest basketball at games and other community and university events."

https://wakeforestsports.com/news/2018/8/28/mens-basketball-justin-gray-joins-deacon-club-staff.aspx

"As Director of Basketball Development, Gray will work to create an atmosphere of engagement and development among former basketball players. He will work with basketball alumni to support the program, both financially and through advocacy. In addition, he will serve as an ambassador for Wake Forest basketball at games and other community and university events."

First order of business - reach out to Tim Duncan.

First order of business - reach out to Tim Duncan.

Meh, Tim Duncan is well aware that Wake Forest still has a men's basketball team, and that it sucks. What's Tim supposed to do anyway ? Give us $25 million to blow on a Manning buyout and some new curtains at the Joel ?

Meh, Tim Duncan is well aware that Wake Forest still has a men's basketball team, and that it sucks. What's Tim supposed to do anyway ? Give us $25 million to blow on a Manning buyout and some new curtains at the Joel ?

You have to make the effort. He is Wake's highest profile current or former NBA player (although CP3 closes the gap with each year TD is out of the NBA), and he has zero relationship with the school. Maybe a new person can help fix the relationship. If you don't ask...

You realize it's entirely possible that this is a temporary role that gets him involved with the program until the DBO or assistant coach spot becomes officially open, right?

You realize it's entirely possible that this is a temporary role that gets him involved with the program until the DBO or assistant coach spot becomes officially open, right?

Yes. Of course, I realize that. That's why I referenced that Childress had the same or similar position when he stopped playing basketball on the Jones thread.

Do you realize that Justin Gray was not hired as the DOBO nor was he hired to be a basketball coach? He was hired to a Deacon Club position. We're talking about now, not in the future.

That would be a move right out of the Wellman playbook for sure. Let's load up the staff with people that are impossible to fire. Should probably just hire Rusty back as well.

That would be a move right out of the Wellman playbook for sure. Let's load up the staff with people that are impossible to fire. Should probably just hire Rusty back as well.

Already has a job outside of coaching.

Yes. Of course, I realize that. That's why I referenced that Childress had the same or similar position when he stopped playing basketball on the Jones thread.

Do you realize that Justin Gray was not hired as the DOBO nor was he hired to be a basketball coach? He was hired to a Deacon Club position. We're talking about now, not in the future.

Wait, I thought you were a "forward thinker."

Maybe he was being forward thinking.

I kid, I kid.

Is this a bullshit job?

Back