• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

original reporting stated that Jones was ordered to return to court on October 2 (Tuesday):

Jones turned himself into police Thursday afternoon and was arraigned Thursday night at Queens County Criminal Court. Jones was released on his own recognizance and was ordered to return to court Oct. 2.

have not seen any new reporting on this issue

Tomorrow is Oct 2. What were you expecting before then?

I'm aware

I was not expecting anything

hearings often get postponed, and sometimes the postponement is reported

since I have not seen anything, I would assume it's on for tomorrow

Last edited:
This must be a fairly complex fact pattern.

That was one of the few things that were clear from the multiple early reports.

Supposedly there also is some surveillance camera footage that has not been released to the public.

IMHO, in order to keep Jones out of jail, his lawyer has to "convict" the deceased of assault, and therefore Jones' punch was self defense and the death because of unfortunate circumstances of how the deceased landed when he went down. Difficult task.

So, with that timelime, it looks like we'll just be letting his contract expire at the end of the season. Just a few more dollars to tack on to 9 years, and many many millions, of sunk costs.

Last edited:
That was one of the few things that were clear from the multiple early reports.

Supposedly there also is some surveillance camera footage that has not been released to the public.

IMHO, in order to keep Jones out of jail, his lawyer has to "convict" the deceased of assault, and therefore Jones' punch was self defense and the death because of unfortunate circumstances of how the deceased landed when he went down. Difficult task.

You clearly know nothing about criminal law. Best to just keep quiet.

Any update on the charges? Wasn't he originally charged with assault but man slaughter was possible?

So, my takeaway since Manning has not replaced Jones on staff going into the season is that he would prefer to retain him. And he either has the backing of the AD or doesn't care if he does or not and is going to sink or swim doing it his way.

I think this is really fascinating leaving out the horrible truth that someone died.

I approve of the loyalty. I also approve of the tight lips. It would be easier for Manning to release Jones especially after our 2019 targets that Jones handled have chosen to go elsewhere. But he hasn't. It would also be logical for him to crack at some point and explain why he hasn't fired him (the proverbial innocent until proven guilty argument). He hasn't.

Say what you want about Manning (and we do), but he is definitely someone I'd want in my fox hole. Now, I wouldn't want to share a tent with him, I don't think. I'd want a more interesting verbalist to talk with in a tent, but fox hole, yes.

And therein lies the crux of our issue with Coach Manning in my opinion. I do think his rather bland leadership style could work if we had either a young Jimmy V type of guy as an assistant coach or aged veteran - a Larry Brown type. It does seem obvious we need some swagger/color but also an infusion of a certain type of coaching talent on the bench for Manning to have any long term chance to succeed.

I still expect us to overachieve this year and play an exciting brand of basketball to watch. Not Teague - Johnson - Aminu - LD - Ish fun, but in that ballpark.

You can speculate all you want but the fact that a clean story has not been released yet indicates this is a complex factual scenario and legally everyone is still trying to figure things out.

You can speculate all you want but the fact that a clean story has not been released yet indicates this is a complex factual scenario and legally everyone is still trying to figure things out.

Absolutely. But the fact is that we are working one coach down in manning's do or die season. That says a great deal about manning, mostly good.

Absolutely. But the fact is that we are working one coach down in manning's do or die season. That says a great deal about manning, mostly good.

I thought our DBO replaced Jones on the bench?

And Manning refused to say dick about it on media day. I find that admirable, but curious.

His lack of response from the get go has essentially served the intended purpose which was not to let Jones go (it seems) unless he is proven guilty of manslaughter.

Couple that with the fact that early reports from the Wake side seemed to indicate that Jones did not rush back to Wake and forewarn the athletic department of a potential problem and rather hoped it would blow over and he wouldn't be IDed. It is possible that he told Manning/Chill and basketball people who chose not to inform Wellman. All speculation of course, but still, the fact that Jones has not been let go by Wake is surprising at the very least.

If Manning is in your foxhole, you’re digging for a long ass time. And the ground gets hard down there 7 feet deep. Get Muggsy in your foxhole and it’s a much quicker job.

If Manning is in your foxhole, you’re digging for a long ass time. And the ground gets hard down there 7 feet deep. Get Muggsy in your foxhole and it’s a much quicker job.

Takes at least 5 years to dig a proper foxhole foundation.

There really could just be an administrative procedural issue here. It's really difficult to determine anything from this, one way or another.

Back