• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Or he didn't tell them sooner on the instructions of his attorney, and when he did tell them, he told them that his attorney previously instructed him not to discuss the matter with anyone which was why he didn't.

I don't think Wake/Manning/Childress are in anywhere near that bad of a situation. Jones did what he did. Nobody at Wake tried to cover anything up. It would appear that as soon as Jones knew they were looking for him, he made arrangements to turn himself in. I don't think he's under any legal or moral obligation to come back to W-S and report that he jacked some guy up on the sidewalk.

This

I'd guess he has a contractual clause that requires some type of administrative process before he can be fired for cause

That and/or it will be a lot easier to do so if he's convicted.

I would think the fact that we have not let Jones go means one of two things:

1) he came back to school and let everyone know immediately and it got back to Wellman then as well
2) he came back to school and let Manning/staff know immediately and it didn't get back to Wellman at all

It seems to me if he fled the scene (sort of) and came back to school and didn't let anyone know, he'd have been dismissed already. #2 is the most worrisome because we might be left with Maryland football type of scenario heading into the season. Worse case scenario for me is he came back and let Childress know but not Manning and Chill didn't push it up to Wellman and now the school has to pull this all apart and separate fireable offenses from hand slapping offenses.

There is a possible element of self defense and/or defense of another person under attack that can't yet be ruled out. Wake would need to let the NYPD sort that out. That would be another reason for keeping Jones in limbo.

There would need to be enough evidence to convict Szabo of assault on the "local resident" and/or Jones for this to be viable.

Jamil Jones may be small by basketball standards but he isn't compared to the average guy in the street. The punch may have been totally unnecessary.

Wake AD sits ‘tight’ as coach goes through legal process
https://www.sunherald.com/sports/article216682800.html
BY JOEDY MCCREARY
AP Sports Writer
August 14, 2018 03:26 PM

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.
Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman says the school is "sitting tight" while the legal process continues for an assistant basketball coach who police say punched a New York City tourist who later died.

Wellman spoke to The Associated Press on Tuesday, four days after the school placed assistant coach Jamill Jones on leave, and says there have been no further updates.

Police say Jones attacked digital marketing guru Sandor Szabo early on Aug. 5, causing him to fall and smash his head on a Queens sidewalk.

Jones has pleaded not guilty a charge of misdemeanor assault and has an Oct. 2 court date. Wellman said "what transpires between now and then, we have no idea. We're not in control of that, so we're just sitting tight at this point."

Wellman declined to discuss the situation further.

In the less serious realm on the basketball court, the AD has some other issues to sort out that aren't nearly as grave...

...Wellman isn't concerned about the roster churn, called the season "a disappointment on the surface" but expressed confidence in Manning and his assistants, pointing to an incoming recruiting class ranked in the top 25 nationally by Scout.com.

"This staff can recruit. This staff can coach," Wellman said. "This staff can do all of the things that need to be done to build a championship-caliber program."

But it's obvious the progress in basketball has lagged behind the school's other high-profile sport, with Dave Clawson leading the football team to consecutive bowl victories after going 3-9 in each of his first two seasons...

This staff can kill too

A board full of Wake Forest shysters literally spends all day, EVERY DAY, engaged in theft of wages. And you guys call yourselves the Bucknell of the South? FOR SHAME!!!

A board full of Wake Forest shysters literally spends all day, EVERY DAY, engaged in theft of wages. And you guys call yourselves the Bucknell of the South? FOR SHAME!!!

I used to agree until I found out that PhDeac, RJKarl, and RChill are not actually paid to post here!

An article on Jones was posted on TheAthletic today: https://theathletic.com/474392/2018/08/21/a-night-turned-deadly-leaves-those-closest-to-wake-forest-assistant-coach-jamill-jones-searching/

An excerpt:

As​ he scouted prospects during last​ month’s​ open recruiting​ period,​ Loyola (Md.) assistant basketball coach​ Brenden Straughn frequently found himself​ in​​ the same gym with his friend and the coach he calls his big brother. On those occasions when they were watching the same game, Straughn and Wake Forest assistant Jamill Jones would sit together, and when the game action hit a lull, their conversations would drift beyond basketball. It was during one of those breaks that Straughn recalls how Jones talked about his plans to get away to visit his fiancée and take her to see the Broadway hit Hamilton.

That’s what brought Jones to New York City in early August. The trip would end in a deadly encounter that those who know Jones best are finding difficult to reconcile. According to police, Jones punched Sandor Szabo in the face during a confrontation at 1:15 a.m. on Aug. 5 on a street in Queens. Szabo, 35, was in town from Boca Raton, Fla., for his stepsister’s wedding and allegedly was knocking on car windows while awaiting a ride-sharing service he had requested. The New York Post reported that Szabo may have been intoxicated and was loud enough that a resident of the neighborhood came outside to confront him. Szabo struck him in the face. Jones was in his car when Szabo knocked on his window, and that apparently set things in motion. Jones got out of his car and punched Szabo, who fell and hit his head on the ground. He lost consciousness and was taken to a hospital and treated for fractures to the left side of his face, the rear of his skull and bleeding on the brain, according to the criminal complaint. Szabo died on Aug. 7 after reportedly being taken off of life support.

Jones fled the scene but may have believed Szabo was seriously injured, according to a source familiar with the investigation who was not authorized to speak publicly. The source said Jones searched social media to see if anything had been reported on the incident, and that’s how he learned police were looking for him as a suspect. Jones turned himself in on Aug. 9 and was charged with third-degree assault, a misdemeanor. He was released on his own recognizance after pleading not guilty and faces an Oct. 2 court date. The charges could escalate, as the medical examiner’s office later ruled Szabo’s death a homicide.

Well, that's new news as to why he was in NYC. I just assumed he was currently married since he has two kids.

Pretty sure we're the Furman of the Northern Carolina.

Well, that's new news as to why he was in NYC. I just assumed he was currently married since he has two kids.

What decade are you posting from?

I'd guess he has a contractual clause that requires some type of administrative process before he can be fired for cause

Yeah this is normally the case with any/all of these coach issues, where a large portion of the public screams "fire them now!" and it doesn't make sense for the university to do so given their contractual obligations.

Nobody calls Wake anything, because at this point athletically the school is irrelevant,

So, you have posted 3,634 times on a board dedicated to athletically irrelevant college program? Get a life.

Or maybe, the program is more relevant than some in our own fan-base let on.

Last edited:
Back