• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

I have always gone by the golden book of standing up for what you feel is right. If Jones felt this other person was in danger and was standing up for them, then he handled it in a poor way, but it was most likely justified in his mind. There are other ways to take down a drunk guy than fracturing his jaw in a "one hitter quitter"...

As many have mentioned, at this point the only thing that matters is that all parties involved seek peace and at some point find it. Heartbreaking story all around.

VERY interested to learn what actually happened.

Jones needs to be fired. Even if the man had not died, the school can not have a coach assaulting people in the middle of the night. Poor decision making and paints the school in a horrible light. Most of these articles are not saying Jamill Jones assaulted NY Tourist, they are saying Wake Forest Basketball Coach. The school can not continue to be associated with these actions. I really have no idea how you can use this to fire Wellman, unless he covered it up, but I don't think that is the case.

And while I will openly admit to not having studied criminal law since I took the bar, can't NY still charge Jones with fleeing the scene of a crime, even though they have already charged him with the assault?

I also agree with everyone in the fire Jones boat, regardless of the outcome of all of this. Enough damage is done and we can't allow a man who has murdered someone to coach out guys. Sad sad sad stuff all around, but WFU needs to take action sooner than later, regardless of impending reports of what happened.

Since the incident happened during an NCAA "quiet period," when off-campus visits are not allowed, it seems like it was not a recruiting trip.

As for whether the car involved was a rental-the car in the video appears to be a late model (2017 or 2018) BMW X3. It's possible to rent an X3, though that would be an expensive rental vehicle in a city like New York. I would also wonder why you would want to rent a car at all in New York City. Obviously one can do that, but it seems like the worst way to get around NYC. On the other hand, why take your own car on a 10+ hour drive to NYC when you can fly there in 90 minutes from GSO?

I also wonder: if he wasn't on a recruiting trip, why was he driving around NYC late on a Saturday night (1AM Sunday). There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for that-I don't know. But it seems strange to me. If the incident involved a player, I would probably wonder the same thing.

these are very good questions, in addition to the outstanding question of whether he told anyone within the AD before flying to NYC and surrendering himself in a case in which he caused the death of a human being

Best case scenario: Jones saw another innocent person in danger and came to their aid. He took matters to the extreme but it was all coming from the right place. This scenario would also include no recruits being involved and complete sobriety on Jones' part. Jones called the ambulence and felt he had handled it semi-appropriately.

Worst case: He's under the influence of something, he's with a recruit (against NCAA rules) at 1AM partying, he jumps in and knocks someone out cold who was simply looking for an Uber ride, and he runs away thinking he'd skate.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between it all.

Since the incident happened during an NCAA "quiet period," when off-campus visits are not allowed, it seems like it was not a recruiting trip.

As for whether the car involved was a rental-the car in the video appears to be a late model (2017 or 2018) BMW X3. It's possible to rent an X3, though that would be an expensive rental vehicle in a city like New York. I would also wonder why you would want to rent a car at all in New York City. Obviously one can do that, but it seems like the worst way to get around NYC. On the other hand, why take your own car on a 10+ hour drive to NYC when you can fly there in 90 minutes from GSO?

I also wonder: if he wasn't on a recruiting trip, why was he driving around NYC late on a Saturday night (1AM Sunday). There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for that-I don't know. But it seems strange to me. If the incident involved a player, I would probably wonder the same thing.

good post, thanks

The funniest part of this thread is the OWGs from NC believing that there's no reason to be up past 10 on a Saturday night.

The discussion from the beginning was what charge was supported by the facts, not speculating about what a rogue prosecutor *might* do.

Wrong. My prediction was he would be charged with 2nd degree murder. That remains my prediction. Is it fair? Of course not. But the elements are there. And this wouldn’t be rogue at all. Normal course for prosecutors trying to make a name and get a paying job.

DR’s first post on this thread

The facts alleged in the article constitute 2nd degree murder

And anyone who has been to law school school or watched a decent amount of Law and Order knows this is incorrect.

This is a sad situation for all involved. Most of all for the family and friends of the deceased. Go to the big city for a wedding of a family member and have it end in death. Shocking, stunning and extremely sad.

My condolences to all of his family aand friends.

in this case OWG validated in OWG opinion that nothing good happens in the middle of the night

No one is mentioning that the victim punched someone else before he got punched. Did that definitely happen?

First, I think the discussion is whatever one wants to make it. I made a comment and you responded.

Second, I disagree with your use of the adjective “rogue” when it comes to overcharging to bully pleas into lesser charges.

Les, my gripe wasn't with you. Sorry I wasn't clearer on that. It was more with the other post by StopMakingSense. People read a couple of blogs these days and think they know what they're talking about. I've had enough discussion with you about the justice system to know you know what you're talking about. That said, I stand by the "rogue" characterization. While it might be your experience that this is common practice, it's not mine, and my position is supported by the Rules of Professional Responsibility. Plus, don't you practice in Florida? (Sorry, couldn't resist). Here, the issue is more a lack of experience because it's difficult for prosecutors' offices to retain good lawyers.

But overcharging is something that is taken very seriously. Please to LIO's are highly discouraged, and where a violent felony was indicted a prosecutor needs to write a memo and get supervisor approval to even offer an LIO. Maybe it's because I worked for a former federal prosecutor when I was a prosecutor myself, but that's how we did it.

Wrong. My prediction was he would be charged with 2nd degree murder. That remains my prediction. Is it fair? Of course not. But the elements are there. And this wouldn’t be rogue at all. Normal course for prosecutors trying to make a name and get a paying job.

From the only facts possibly known at this point the elements are NOT there for 2nd degree murder. This was NOT deadly force. And there was no malice.
But then, none of us know the facts in the case. Good Lord! you say you were an attorney in a murder trial recently? I'm worried about your past and future clients.

Back