• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Regardless if his intent was to kill, which it likely wasn't, any time you punch someone there is a chance they die and you have to face the consequences. The only exception being boxing or MMA fights where the opponent knowingly accepts the risk.

wrb0o4.jpg

Go on counselor . . .

Unless they have video or physical evidence at the scene of the crime, the "shattered window" excuse is not admissible. Jones lost that defense when he drove away from the crime scene. He could have easily gone home and smashed the window himself.

The leagle eagles are out in full force today.

Unless they have video or physical evidence at the scene of the crime, the "shattered window" excuse is not admissible. Jones lost that defense when he drove away from the crime scene. He could have easily gone home and smashed the window himself.

Not exactly. There could/should be glass from the window at the scene. Also, it sounded like there were witnesses other than Jones. Finally, there is nothing stopping Jones from testifying that the dead drunk man broke the window. Jones could get crossed if there is conflicting evidence, but if Jones says the dead guy broke the window and that's why Jones got out of the car, that would be admissible (and helpful) testimony.

Not exactly. There could/should be glass from the window at the scene. Also, it sounded like there were witnesses other than Jones. Finally, there is nothing stopping Jones from testifying that the dead drunk man broke the window. Jones could get crossed if there is conflicting evidence, but if Jones says the dead guy broke the window and that's why Jones got out of the car, that would be admissible (and helpful) testimony.

hence "physical evidence at the scene"....

Seems pretty difficult and very rare according to all of those articles. What’s the kill rate for punches? 1 in a million? 1 in 10 million?

I for one am pissed that a Wake coach used his 1 in 10 million chance on killing a dude rather than landing Cole Anthony.

I don't believe the allegation reported in the NY Post (by Jones' lawyer and an unnamed law enforcement person) that Szabo "shattered" the rear window of Jones' BMW.

It's very difficult to break a car window with your hands or fists. For example:

https://youtu.be/Ia23XWYdfbs

It can be done with a proper tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QCz4nXDq7w

I don't believe that Szabo broke the window even if he had been (tapping, knocking, banging-choose one) on it. Modern car windows simply don't break that easily. I also find it ridiculous to believe that Szabo just happened to have a window breaking tool on him or that he picked up a big rock and spontaneously decided to use it in order to get the attention of someone that he thought might be his Uber driver.

I don't know who broke the window or when it was broken. The allegation that Szabo broke it sounds like a desperate attempt to justify what Jones did to Szabo. But even if Szabo did somehow break the window, then I still don't think it was a good reason to kill him.

It would be a pretty stupid attempt since, as you point out, the broken window wouldn’t serve as a defense to assault. What’s the incentive for a law enforcement officer to make up the shattered window.

Also can we get a ruling on what is more likely: killing someone with one punch or a drunk guy breaking a car window?

It would be a pretty stupid attempt since, as you point out, the broken window wouldn’t serve as a defense to assault. What’s the incentive for a law enforcement officer to make up the shattered window.

Also can we get a ruling on what is more likely: killing someone with one punch or a drunk guy breaking a car window?

IMHO, one punch plus hard hit on concrete curb is more likely to cause death than bare hands or fists are to break modern car windows. That is why there is a market for window breaker car escape tools.

I don't believe the allegation reported in the NY Post (by Jones' lawyer and an unnamed law enforcement person) that Szabo "shattered" the rear window of Jones' BMW.

It's very difficult to break a car window with your hands or fists. For example:

I don't believe that Szabo broke the window even if he had been (tapping, knocking, banging-choose one) on it. Modern car windows simply don't break that easily. I also find it ridiculous to believe that Szabo just happened to have a window breaking tool on him or that he picked up a big rock and spontaneously decided to use it in order to get the attention of someone that he thought might be his Uber driver.

I don't know who broke the window or when it was broken. The allegation that Szabo broke it sounds like a desperate attempt to justify what Jones did to Szabo. But even if Szabo did somehow break the window, then I still don't think it was a good reason to kill him.

Did Jones get in the way while you were trying to get a photo of a half finished building or something? You’re trying really hard to convince everyone he’s a cold blooded murderer.

Did Jones get in the way while you were trying to get a photo of a half finished building or something? You’re trying really hard to convince everyone he’s a cold blooded murderer.

Agreed. It's fun to play judge and jury on a message board. We all can take facts from a news article and put our own spin on it, but impossible to have a reasonable idea as to what happened on that night unless and until all of the evidence is heard.

I have exactly the same amount of independent knowledge of the situation as everyone else here - zero. I'm sometime amazed at the strength with which people form conclusions like this one - knowing nothing about it.

This whole story is tragic and strange. It seems really weird to me that Jones would get out of his car and punch some random guy. The simplest explanation is typically the most likely to be true. In this case, to me, the simplest explanation is that the guy did something out of the ordinary to motivate Jones to, first, get out of his car, and, second, punch him. Breaking his window would certainly qualify.

The other explanation that made sense to me was that the guy was attacking someone else - from the story that he punched the resident that came out of the building.

I guess it is also possible that Jones is a 'roided-up maniac with a crazy temper and punched the guy for no reason - but I know of no facts in evidence that support that?

The bolded sentence above is just ignorant. Mentioning a 'reason to kill him' is just dumb, since I don't think anyone has alleged that Jones intended to kill the guy. You could have said 'reason to punch him' and been much more accurate.

We won't know the true story of what went down until the thing goes to trial - until then we can continue to guess based on any facts/rumors that trickle out...

That’s almost certainly not true and wasn’t the question anyways.

If you read the previously linked articles about one punch deaths, almost all mention the victim's head comtacting pavement, curb, concrete etc. hard. And that is actually what causes the fatal injury.

The other scenario is a drunk not protecting his head from snapping back and having an artery in his rain tear a as a result.

Both appear to be part of the Jones-Szabo situation. Szabo was reported to be drunk and he is supposed to have hit his head on the curb after being punched.

If we are going to discuss "one punch" deaths in this context, it would seem much more relevant to discuss "one punch plus head hitting concrete curb" deaths. Those seem to be the bulk of "one punch" deaths. Not "one punch and landed on a pile of pillows" deaths.

Regardless if his intent was to kill, which it likely wasn't, any time you punch someone there is a chance they die and you have to face the consequences. The only exception being boxing or MMA fights where the opponent knowingly accepts the risk.

wrb0o4.jpg

If you’re speaking of civil negligence, you’re correct. Not the case for criminal law however. In order for the mens rea to rise to recklessness (which would be needed for it to elevated to a felony) there would have to be a substantial likelihood of death, and “there is a chance it could happen” doesn’t get you there.

The amount of armchair lawyers on this thread pretending they know what they’re talking about is hilarious.

giphy.gif

Back