Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoops Asst. Coach Jamil Jones charged with assault on man who later died in hospital

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayo View Post
    Immaterial to this discussion, but that pic looks exactly like the corner where Bodie got killed in the Wire.

Which is to say it looks like any urban street corner, I guess. But that was just my first thought.

wow...some tasteless tags.

Quote Originally Posted by WFU1977 View Post
    If he was on a recruiting trip, then I assume the car he was in was a rental.
    Since the incident happened during an NCAA "quiet period," when off-campus visits are not allowed, it seems like it was not a recruiting trip.

As for whether the car involved was a rental-the car in the video appears to be a late model (2017 or 2018) BMW X3. It's possible to rent an X3, though that would be an expensive rental vehicle in a city like New York. I would also wonder why you would want to rent a car at all in New York City. Obviously one can do that, but it seems like the worst way to get around NYC. On the other hand, why take your own car on a 10+ hour drive to NYC when you can fly there in 90 minutes from GSO?

I also wonder: if he wasn't on a recruiting trip, why was he driving around NYC late on a Saturday night (1AM Sunday). There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for that-I don't know. But it seems strange to me. If the incident involved a player, I would probably wonder the same thing.

I have always gone by the golden book of standing up for what you feel is right. If Jones felt this other person was in danger and was standing up for them, then he handled it in a poor way, but it was most likely justified in his mind. There are other ways to take down a drunk guy than fracturing his jaw in a "one hitter quitter"...

As many have mentioned, at this point the only thing that matters is that all parties involved seek peace and at some point find it. Heartbreaking story all around.

VERY interested to learn what actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
    wow...some tasteless tags.
    Well, that's certainly unprecedented....Not.

Joe Amonett
    Jones needs to be fired. Even if the man had not died, the school can not have a coach assaulting people in the middle of the night. Poor decision making and paints the school in a horrible light. Most of these articles are not saying Jamill Jones assaulted NY Tourist, they are saying Wake Forest Basketball Coach. The school can not continue to be associated with these actions. I really have no idea how you can use this to fire Wellman, unless he covered it up, but I don't think that is the case.

And while I will openly admit to not having studied criminal law since I took the bar, can't NY still charge Jones with fleeing the scene of a crime, even though they have already charged him with the assault?

I also agree with everyone in the fire Jones boat, regardless of the outcome of all of this. Enough damage is done and we can't allow a man who has murdered someone to coach out guys. Sad sad sad stuff all around, but WFU needs to take action sooner than later, regardless of impending reports of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
    Since the incident happened during an NCAA "quiet period," when off-campus visits are not allowed, it seems like it was not a recruiting trip.

As for whether the car involved was a rental-the car in the video appears to be a late model (2017 or 2018) BMW X3. It's possible to rent an X3, though that would be an expensive rental vehicle in a city like New York. I would also wonder why you would want to rent a car at all in New York City. Obviously one can do that, but it seems like the worst way to get around NYC. On the other hand, why take your own car on a 10+ hour drive to NYC when you can fly there in 90 minutes from GSO?

I also wonder: if he wasn't on a recruiting trip, why was he driving around NYC late on a Saturday night (1AM Sunday). There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for that-I don't know. But it seems strange to me. If the incident involved a player, I would probably wonder the same thing.
    these are very good questions, in addition to the outstanding question of whether he told anyone within the AD before flying to NYC and surrendering himself in a case in which he caused the death of a human being

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon923 View Post
    Our program has been cursed since Skip died. We need a frickin exorcist or something
    Our program has been cursed ever since Odom was fired.

Robert O'Kelley
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayo View Post
    Very close to Dutch Kills ...
    le bone

Best case scenario: Jones saw another innocent person in danger and came to their aid. He took matters to the extreme but it was all coming from the right place. This scenario would also include no recruits being involved and complete sobriety on Jones' part. Jones called the ambulence and felt he had handled it semi-appropriately.

Worst case: He's under the influence of something, he's with a recruit (against NCAA rules) at 1AM partying, he jumps in and knocks someone out cold who was simply looking for an Uber ride, and he runs away thinking he'd skate.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between it all.

Rusty Larue
    Quote Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post

good post, thanks

The funniest part of this thread is the OWGs from NC believing that there's no reason to be up past 10 on a Saturday night.

If you stay up too late youíll be tired for morning church!

Quote Originally Posted by wfumike02 View Post
    The discussion from the beginning was what charge was supported by the facts, not speculating about what a rogue prosecutor *might* do.
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldross View Post
    Wrong. My prediction was he would be charged with 2nd degree murder. That remains my prediction. Is it fair? Of course not. But the elements are there. And this wouldnít be rogue at all. Normal course for prosecutors trying to make a name and get a paying job.
    DRís first post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by donaldross View Post
    The facts alleged in the article constitute 2nd degree murder
    And anyone who has been to law school school or watched a decent amount of Law and Order knows this is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    The funniest part of this thread is the OWGs from NC believing that there's no reason to be up past 10 on a Saturday night.
    I agree, and he's even on a recruiting break.

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    This. 1AM isnít even that late in NYC.

This is a sad situation for all involved. Most of all for the family and friends of the deceased. Go to the big city for a wedding of a family member and have it end in death. Shocking, stunning and extremely sad.

My condolences to all of his family aand friends.

I disagree with you
    in this case OWG validated in OWG opinion that nothing good happens in the middle of the night

Rusty Larue
    No one is mentioning that the victim punched someone else before he got punched. Did that definitely happen?