Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 824

Thread: "THE POSTER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!" (Formerly the Jamil Jones thread)

  1. #741
    Do district attorney's offices get super excited when people go to the media and complain that they want more charges ?

  2. #742
    please chime in you super studs who have spent time in a DAs office

  3. #743
    Iím going to miss rchill when he is dead and gone from these here boards. Great poster providing ample entertainment and ultimate russler of thy jimmie.

  4. #744
    Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    That's fine I've worked in a DA's office too. Let me clue you both in on how charging works. There is a thing called "prosecutorial discretion." It means the District Attorney who is prosecuting the case can choose what he wants to charge Jones with, if he wants to plea bargain, etc. Good DA's go with the highest charge they can get and include all lesser available charges as well. That strategy provides leverage and a position of power if the DA wants to plea bargain. If Jones goes to trial and gets convicted on the highest charge all that matters is when Jones' attorney appeals, will that charge hold up in appellate review? The answer is it can, but feel free to do your own legal research on the matter if you want to double check my work.
    LOL, you have no clue. Even the victim's family is pushing for criminally negligent homicide, which is below manslaughter.

    Ethically, a prosecutor isn't supposed to charge higher than what he/she has good faith belief can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It's a higher standard than probable cause, which is why prosecutors routinely reduce what's charged initially by police. Apparently you once worked in a DA's office. While I can't speak to you or the office you worked in, I and the people I worked with took our ethical obligations seriously.

  5. #745
    Quote Originally Posted by wfumike02 View Post
    LOL, you have no clue. Even the victim's family is pushing for criminally negligent homicide, which is below manslaughter.

    Ethically, a prosecutor isn't supposed to charge higher than what he/she has good faith belief can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It's a higher standard than probable cause, which is why prosecutors routinely reduce what's charged initially by police. Apparently you once worked in a DA's office. While I can't speak to you or the office you worked in, I and the people I worked with took our ethical obligations seriously.
    So you mischaracterize all my posts in this thread about whether the prosecutor can charge, to me suggesting he should charge....then you are insinuating that I or people I have worked with are unethical in our real world jobs? Neg rep for that, and I will await your apology!

    Also notice how you completely ignore Les Grossman's posts about seeing a DA he worked with charge second-degree murder. Is there a reason you felt you should singly address me and attack my character and ethics?

  6. #746
    Probably because you're a shitty poster on other threads too.

  7. #747
    harsh words being thrown around here

    I hope nobody throws the car into park and does something they might regret

  8. #748
    Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    please chime in you super studs who have spent time in a DAs office
    I've spent maybe an hour in a DAs office, and I can tell you with certainty that if you punch someone, and the someone dies, it is not good.

  9. #749
    Quote Originally Posted by wakephan09 View Post
    Probably because you're a shitty poster on other threads too.
    Most of my posts are spot on, but you're a miserable person who is disliked by many on this board so I could care less what your opinion of my posts are. The fact that you are ok with someone making personal attacks against me also goes to show what type of character you have.

  10. #750
    RChill>Lawyer Talk

    #FreeRChill

  11. #751
    This thread makes me want to pursue a career as an Assistant DA.

  12. #752
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    62,331
    Quote Originally Posted by wfumike02 View Post
    LOL, you have no clue. Even the victim's family is pushing for criminally negligent homicide, which is below manslaughter.

    Ethically, a prosecutor isn't supposed to charge higher than what he/she has good faith belief can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It's a higher standard than probable cause, which is why prosecutors routinely reduce what's charged initially by police. Apparently you once worked in a DA's office. While I can't speak to you or the office you worked in, I and the people I worked with took our ethical obligations seriously.
    Could it be that you were an ADA and he was a sandwich boy?

  13. #753
    Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    So you mischaracterize all my posts in this thread about whether the prosecutor can charge, to me suggesting he should charge....then you are insinuating that I or people I have worked with are unethical in our real world jobs? Neg rep for that, and I will await your apology!

    Also notice how you completely ignore Les Grossman's posts about seeing a DA he worked with charge second-degree murder. Is there a reason you felt you should singly address me and attack my character and ethics?
    You said that a good DA charges the highest charge he can possibly get. Mike wasnít mischaracterizing your post at all.

    Criminal Law is fact-specific, Iíd be very interested to hear Lesís take on how similar the facts in this case are to the one he was a part of (as well as how similar the law was in his jurisdiction at that time).

    Iím getting less and less confident about that Crim Law exam.

  14. #754
    My wife was a prosecutor in a DA office and her opinion is that I spend too much time on the boards.

  15. #755
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Could it be that you were an ADA and he was a sandwich boy?
    I'm sorry what law school did you graduate from RJ? I have tried cases, gotten convictions. Is that your award from North Carolina Advocates for Justice on my wall, or is it mine? Keep talking like you know it all, because your credibility on this thread is skyrocketing.

  16. #756
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyRogersRoast View Post
    My wife was a prosecutor in a DA office and her opinion is that I spend too much time on the boards.
    The DA for our area plays pickup basketball with me in the mornings. Decent handles, killer jumper. I could ask him. Also, I called Rchill a cocksucker in another thread, and wanted to apologize. I was remorseful that cocksucker, while a fun word to say, is at its root a homophobic slur and something that I should remove from my lexicon. Unfortunately it's a super fun word to say. Like gazebo.

  17. #757
    Quote Originally Posted by RChildress107 View Post
    You said that a good DA charges the highest charge he can possibly get. Mike wasnít mischaracterizing your post at all.

    Criminal Law is fact-specific, Iíd be very interested to hear Lesís take on how similar the facts in this case are to the one he was a part of (as well as how similar the law was in his jurisdiction at that time).

    Iím getting less and less confident about that Crim Law exam.
    Yes the highest charge comes with the caveat that all practicing attorneys have rules of ethics they need to abide by. Never would I suggest unethically pursuing a charge, nor do I think a murder charge in Jones' specific case is warranted. Once again you try to shift the argument away from admitting you are wrong in your original post. You argued wrongly that I had no idea what I was talking about when I stated that anytime you punch someone and they die, you have to be prepared to face serious consequences. The fact is people have been successfully charged with murder for killing someone with 1 punch. Its an objective fact, so nothing I have said here is wrong. Yet you and wfumike want to insult my character and intelligence rather than admit I am right about what I said. Cool, whatever I really don't care about your opinions. Its just sad that Wake Forest alumni feel the need to attack someone who points out something that is objectively right.

    And since you want to know, when I was in law school I got an A in Crim Law. Thanks for your concern.

  18. #758
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    62,331
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyRogersRoast View Post
    My wife was a prosecutor in a DA office and her opinion is that I spend too much time on the boards.
    But did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

  19. #759
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    62,331
    Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    I'm sorry what law school did you graduate from RJ? I have tried cases, gotten convictions. Is that your award from North Carolina Advocates for Justice on my wall, or is it mine? Keep talking like you know it all, because your credibility on this thread is skyrocketing.
    You'll need another deodorant if you keep sweating like this.

    All I did was agree with someone who has worked in a DA's office for years.

  20. #760
    People on these boards are way short on facts. Presumably the DA in NY has more facts to work with.

    Szabo's death is unfortunate. I feel for his mother and all of his family. I for one will await the DA's decision on charges.

    Jones is under contract to, but suspended by Wake. I would expect that to be true until the earlier of the end of his contract or a conviction/guilty plea.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •