• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Let's let the facts come out. If they drop the charges, Wake should keep him.

Ugh. No. At the very least, he fled the scene when a guy was bleeding unconsciously on the sidewalk. He's gotta go. Period.

yes, this is a horrible take by MichDeac

I am interested to see the statement from the Wake AD, whenever that hits

Him staying here is unfeasable regardless of how this turns out. No way he can coach while this is going on, which could take a couple of years. We have to move on regardless.

I probably had it coming (drunk, ongoing issues with the guy) but I caught a sucker punch from a WS sportscaster and hit the parking lot pavement about 32 years ago. Trying to get up, was tackled by a (now) longtime PGA pro. Ambulance to NCBH for emergency surgery for severe clavicle fracture. No charges were filed. None. Had I died during surgery, the case might have blown up like this one has. The drunk in NYC probably deserved a punch too.

I hope that it was not Lenox.

you serail clark?

Dude left a man dying in the streets. Fuck him.

We don't know the facts of what he knew and how he acted. If he had reason to believe that the guy was injured and dying on the street, that's different. If he just punched him and walked away and was unaware, he's less culpable. Not every punch results in a person hitting their head on the pavement and dying.

Him staying here is unfeasable regardless of how this turns out. No way he can coach while this is going on, which could take a couple of years. We have to move on regardless.

My thoughts as well. Jones can no longer effectively represent "Pro Humanitate."

I think rather than "fled the scene" or "absconded", we should just say for now that "he left the scene". We don't know the situation well enough nor his mental state and contrary to what many are seeming to conclude there isn't a protocol for fist fights like there is for auto accidents. I.e., no "hit and run" thing. Don't play into the news article that sensationalized Jones's departure by using the term "fled".

You get out-of-control drunk and start trying to damage cars and then punch a guy in the face for trying to stop your hooligan conduct and it's not expected that you could get seriously messed up? This is similar to the dudes who think they can try to grab a police officer's gun and then charge him and are surprised when they end up riddled with bullets.

Last I checked, getting drunk and being disorderly was not a capital offense. Jones turned this guys drunken behavior into a capital crime.

Got a text from a GT fan: “usually it is Wake getting knocked out early.”

But he acknowledges that GT and WF are both going to be making more noise in the courtroom than on the court this season.

"Wake basketball coach kills man with bare hands on streets of NYC" would be a better headline.

Last I checked, getting drunk and being disorderly was not a capital offense. Jones turned this guys drunken behavior into a capital crime.

Yeah, fuck foreseeability, right? If the reports are to be believed, he punched a belligerent drunk right after said belligerent drunk punched a 17 year old kid in the face. While the result is tragic let's not make the actions more than what they were.

Yeah, fuck foreseeability, right? If the reports are to be believed, he punched a belligerent drunk right after said belligerent drunk punched a 17 year old kid in the face. While the result is tragic let's not make the actions more than what they were.

then while the guy was choking on his own blood Jones left the scene, according to that 17-year old (BTW I hadn't read that the 17-year old was the one who got punched)

We don't know the facts of what he knew and how he acted. If he had reason to believe that the guy was injured and dying on the street, that's different. If he just punched him and walked away and was unaware, he's less culpable. Not every punch results in a person hitting their head on the pavement and dying.

It's has been reported that he helped move the guy so that he'd stop choking on his own blood. Seems like he knew the guys was pretty badly hurt.

Our program has been cursed ever since Odom was fired.

Cursed even with Odom. Rutland blows out his knee in 1996 when we were playing as well anybody in country. 1995 Chill gets sick during NCAAs. 1994 Chill separated or dislocated his shoulder at the end of the season. We could probably keep going.

How could he from a logistics standpoint stay on while this is going on? Is he going to continue recruiting and fulfilling his other coaching duties? Are we going to just operate down an assistant coach until this gets resolved which could be years?

How could he from a logistics standpoint stay on while this is going on? Is he going to continue recruiting and fulfilling his other coaching duties? Are we going to just operate down an assistant coach until this gets resolved which could be years?

I will be extremely disappointed if he is not, at a minimum, on Administrative Leave as of sundown

Back