• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Sad and tragic situation. However, maybe we can get an experienced assistant coach now who can help Manning with game management. Anybody have Odom’s phone number?

Dude this is the second time you have gotten this wrong. The NY Post article said a resident came outside, confronted the guy and was punched. Other articles mention a 17 year old that helped Jones prop the guy up before he left. They dont appear to be the same person.

This 17 year old is becoming a mythical character on this board. So far people on here have said he/she was:

In Jones's car
A recruit that was with Jones
The person that got punched
Witness that helped tend to the drunk guy posy punch/fall (sounds like the legit description)

Did I miss any? Uber driver? Kid delivering newspapers?

Jones was put on leave.

I feel like that is a really weak public statement. I don't really know what the proper response should be because this is a situation you never image your basketball program being in. Also fuck you Ron.

Last edited:
I did go to the beginning of the thread and read two articles about the incident and neither one said anything about the date of death nor him not regaining consciousness. I wasn't going to read all through the thread again but leave it to assholes on the board to be assholes.
The guy DIED from a HEAD injury and you're asking if he talked to his family to detail what happened before he DIED. C'mon, man.

This 17 year old is becoming a mythical character on this board. So far people on here have said he/she was:

In Jones's car
A recruit that was with Jones
The person that got punched
Witness that helped tend to the drunk guy posy punch/fall (sounds like the legit description)

Did I miss any? Uber driver? Kid delivering newspapers?

Alex Jones is saying this kid doesn't really exist. The whole story is a government conspiracy, and Sabor is really an actor who is alive and well.

Have the charges been upgraded yet? They will be. Hope the prosecutor sticks at manslaughter. I’d be surprised.

Alex Jones is saying this kid doesn't really exist. The whole story is a government conspiracy, and Sabor is really an actor who is alive and well.

Nah. We suck too hard for anyone to conspire against us.

Nah. We suck too hard for anyone to conspire against us.

Yes, WF basketball seems to need no outside assistance at being just confoundingly troubled. Not that a lot of schools don’t have scandal and misfortune, but ours is just a strange series of tales for being one of the smallest P6 schools. We’ve made the 30 for 30 joke on here, but someone should write a book, or at least give it the long-form article treatment.

Not to get all Trumpy/DonaldRossy, but the media's handling and reporting of this so far is pathetic. How are there such different narratives floating around? How is more information not yet known from something that happened 6 days ago? This and the OSU Smith/Meyer debacle really are great examples of how pathetic "journalism" has become in America.

Or something happened and we still don’t know exactly what and you’d criticize media if they waited weeks to report something.

Not to get all Trumpy/DonaldRossy, but the media's handling and reporting of this so far is pathetic. How are there such different narratives floating around? How is more information not yet known from something that happened 6 days ago? This and the OSU Smith/Meyer debacle really are great examples of how pathetic "journalism" has become in America.

newsflash: it's an unfortunate, but tiny incident that really doesn't warrant that much investigative power

Les, my gripe wasn't with you. Sorry I wasn't clearer on that. It was more with the other post by StopMakingSense. People read a couple of blogs these days and think they know what they're talking about. I've had enough discussion with you about the justice system to know you know what you're talking about. That said, I stand by the "rogue" characterization. While it might be your experience that this is common practice, it's not mine, and my position is supported by the Rules of Professional Responsibility. Plus, don't you practice in Florida? (Sorry, couldn't resist). Here, the issue is more a lack of experience because it's difficult for prosecutors' offices to retain good lawyers.

But overcharging is something that is taken very seriously. Please to LIO's are highly discouraged, and where a violent felony was indicted a prosecutor needs to write a memo and get supervisor approval to even offer an LIO. Maybe it's because I worked for a former federal prosecutor when I was a prosecutor myself, but that's how we did it.

That’s exactly how it should be. It’s how I practiced and anything else to me is unethical. I know we see eye to eye on this based on prior conversations.

Unfortunately, there is a “machismo” in a lot of the offices around here and it’s “charge as much as you can and get as much time as you can” mentality. If you don’t, then you’re not tough on crime. Heck, our local office was giving end of year bonuses based on how many trials the prosecutors did. All of it unethical in my opinion.

newsflash: it's an unfortunate, but tiny incident that really doesn't warrant that much investigative power

So dozens (maybe hundreds?) of news outlets are posting stories about it? If you're going to report/investigate, why not do it the right way?

Back