• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

The DA for our area plays pickup basketball with me in the mornings. Decent handles, killer jumper. I could ask him. Also, I called Rchill a cocksucker in another thread, and wanted to apologize. I was remorseful that cocksucker, while a fun word to say, is at its root a homophobic slur and something that I should remove from my lexicon. Unfortunately it's a super fun word to say. Like gazebo.

Try switching to gazebo-sucker.

Charlie Rose gave me an A in crim law, crim procedure, evidence and remedies. Butch Covington didn’t like my exam answers as much, to say the least. Neither did Mad Dog Walker. Since I haven’t tried a criminal case to a jury in 30 years, I’m staying out of this debate.

Most of my posts are spot on, but you're a miserable person who is disliked by many on this board so I could care less what your opinion of my posts are. The fact that you are ok with someone making personal attacks against me also goes to show what type of character you have.

You may be projecting here ...

980x.jpg

netflixandtrumpish

Not the case for criminal law however. In order for the mens rea to rise to recklessness (which would be needed for it to elevated to a felony) there would have to be a substantial likelihood of death, and “there is a chance it could happen” doesn’t get you there.
Google Scholar and Westlaw if I need it. Iin NY criminally negligent homicide appears to be the highest charge for one punch killings and all of the appellate cases I found in a ten minute search involve victims who were defenseless (i.e. not looking) when punched. Furthermore, a single punch is considered ordinary, not deadly, force in NY.

New York Penal Law § 125.10: Criminally negligent homicide

The crime of criminally negligent homicide involves causing someone's death by acting in a manner that was reckless, inattentive, or careless.

Keep researching RChil, I feel no need to beat a dead horse or prove myself on this thread any longer. Bottom line: if you punch someone, they die, none of the exceptions apply, and the DA has a hard-on for charging you with a felony, you're in bad shape. I think its unlikely Jones does get charged with something serious, but if he does I'm sure you will be the 1st person he calls to do pro bono work for him.

I am mostly a bird law expert, but according to Google Scholar, my papers have been cited over 500 times... so, can I weigh in on this?

Mantis shrimp, not a bird, rely on the lethal force of their punch to acquire prey, so it possible Jones had intent to kill. However, birds don’t really have any punching capacity of any kind. Forelimbs in all but a few species are far too important for locomotion to risk fracturing their hollow bones. That means it is also possible that jones didn’t even mean to punch the guy, just sort of flap his arms in an attempt to get away. Which leads us to the inescapable conclusion that this is a dumb argument.

I am mostly a bird law expert, but according to Google Scholar, my papers have been cited over 500 times... so, can I weigh in on this?

Mantis shrimp, not a bird, rely on the lethal force of their punch to acquire prey, so it possible Jones had intent to kill. However, birds don’t really have any punching capacity of any kind. Forelimbs in all but a few species are far too important for locomotion to risk fracturing their hollow bones. That means it is also possible that jones didn’t even mean to punch the guy, just sort of flap his arms in an attempt to get away. Which leads us to the inescapable conclusion that this is a dumb argument.

If you were cited that often, how much were the tickets? Or did you beat them all?

New York Penal Law § 125.10: Criminally negligent homicide

The crime of criminally negligent homicide involves causing someone's death by acting in a manner that was reckless, inattentive, or careless.

Keep researching RChil, I feel no need to beat a dead horse or prove myself on this thread any longer. Bottom line: if you punch someone, they die, none of the exceptions apply, and the DA has a hard-on for charging you with a felony, you're in bad shape. I think its unlikely Jones does get charged with something serious, but if he does I'm sure you will be the 1st person he calls to do pro bono work for him.

Fake News:

125.10 reads:

A person is guilty of criminally negligent homicide when, with criminal negligence, he causes the death of another person.

Criminal negligence is defined in 15.05 which I quote in full

The following definitions are applicable to this chapter:
1. "Intentionally." A person acts intentionally with respect to a
result or to conduct described by a statute defining an offense when his
conscious objective is to cause such result or to engage in such
conduct.

2. "Knowingly." A person acts knowingly with respect to conduct or to
a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is
aware that his conduct is of such nature or that such circumstance
exists.

3. "Recklessly." A person acts recklessly with respect to a result or
to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is
aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk
that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The risk
must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a
gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person
would observe in the situation. A person who creates such a risk but is
unaware thereof solely by reason of voluntary intoxication also acts
recklessly with respect thereto.

4. "Criminal negligence." A person acts with criminal negligence with
respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining
an offense when he fails to perceive a substantial and unjustifiable
risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The
risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it
constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a
reasonable person would observe in the situation.

You’ll notice that it’s listed as a different mens rea than Recklessly. You would have to know that to get an A on a Crim Law exam at a real law school.

You know the difference between a Lawyer and a Catfish?? One is a scum sucking, bottom feeding scavenger, the other is a fish. I do humbly apologize for being so mean and making a generalization so broad, but it is a fish

Back