• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

I think 3rd degree assault was the best they were gonna get.
He was attacked [or "confronted in a hostile manner" if it makes whoever feel better] by a belligerent drunk. Jamil unfortunately reacted with hostility too and the drunk got the short end of the stick.
The fact he should've/could've just driven away is the only reason he's convicted of anything.

This was the correct result under NY law.

The conviction also makes it a lot easier for the victim's family to recover in a civil suit, assuming Jones has some assets they can go after.

Interesting tidbit in the NY Daily News Article was that Szabo had already been involved in two other fights that same night, before the Jones confrontation ensured that Szabo wasn't getting in any more fights... ever.

Wake's Basketball Coaches are used to losing on the court and in court. Glad he was convicted!

This was the correct result under NY law.

The conviction also makes it a lot easier for the victim's family to recover in a civil suit, assuming Jones has some assets they can go after.

The conviction won’t be admissible in a civil trial- only a plea of guilty can be used as an admission of fault. He’s lucky that he wasn’t charged with manslaughter and pressured to plea to a lesser offense to avoid jail time.

But Assistant District Attorney Kirk Sendlein asserted that an enraged Jones, 38, overreacted and punched the 5-foot-10 Szabo with such force that the victim’s brain stem was detached from his brain.

:eek:

Jones has to go into MMA next.

Ironically, Manning takes his team to visit the Mohammed Ali museum on the same day.

But Assistant District Attorney Kirk Sendlein asserted that an enraged Jones, 38, overreacted and punched the 5-foot-10 Szabo with such force that the victim’s brain stem was detached from his brain.

:eek:
So the defense argues that the victim had already been in 2 fights earlier that night, and the DA argues the brain stem theory. I trust witnesses testified to these facts.

So the defense argues that the victim had already been in 2 fights earlier that night, and the DA argues the brain stem theory. I trust witnesses testified to these facts.

The brainstem detachment is pretty easy to see on autopsy, so ME would be witness to that. Cause of detachment could be either the punch or the head hitting the curb.

The conviction won’t be admissible in a civil trial- only a plea of guilty can be used as an admission of fault. He’s lucky that he wasn’t charged with manslaughter and pressured to plea to a lesser offense to avoid jail time.

It's not an admission. It's a matter of collateral estoppel. The issue of whether he caused physical injury to Szabo and whether he acted in a reckless or intentional matter has been determined by a fact finder and cannot be re-litigated. Assuming he argued self defense at the criminal trial and that claim was rejected by the jury, he would also be precluded from arguing self defense in the civil trial as well.

Of course, from a practical perspective, the criminal conviction also means Jones' insurance will quickly disclaim coverage (if they haven't already) for an intentional act.

The brainstem detachment is pretty easy to see on autopsy, so ME would be witness to that. Cause of detachment could be either the punch or the head hitting the curb.

Right. I'm not sure how they'd be able to say it was from the punch (which would support a more significant charge) or his head hitting the curb.

How is it credible that Jones' windshield was smashed when he left the scene of the crime? Was glass from the window found at the crime scene?I have not seen video that shows that. Easy to tamper with evidence after the fact.

Jaybone's comment is fucking idiotic. That is nothing knew...

CRAP, man we can't even get a first on an assault conviction, 3rd degree, bah!

Back