• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

Looking at where it occurred, there is a Hilton Garden Inn and Fairfield Inn nearby. Probably Jones was staying at one of those hotels.

Yeah, I'm really confused. There are two stories that led to the confrontation being reported -- one that the guy was knocking on Jones's car, mistaking him for his Uber ride, before Jones got out and slugged him, and the other that the guy first was in a confrontation with another person before Jones intervened. Unless those two stories go together (guy banged on Jones's car --> got into altercation with other person --> Jones intervened), which is it? The bold there suggests nothing happened between the #banging and Jones punching him. I'll just be over here on the sidelines enjoying Drew's posts until we know more.

also, did Jones start to assist the victim, then decide to flee? or did he just punch him and flee

So...some of y’all act like we should gather more information before drawing important conclusions.

Thx.

Correct. Everyone needs to use this to dump Wellman. Don’t know what you people are thinking. This is the chance to enrage the libs.

Libs don’t want Wellman either.

terrible for all concerned
I hate it for the deceased and his family. He got drunk and acted like an asshole, but didn't deserve to die.
Hate it for future, former coach Jones. He may have been half-way justified for throwing the punch, but it won't matter as far as his job is concerned. He's gone.
Hate it for MSD for obvious reasons.
Hate it for the fanbase. Shit like this could result in another 4-year dose of culture penance.

Correct. Everyone needs to use this to dump Wellman. Don’t know what you people are thinking. This is the chance to enrage the libs.

Wow. You really are a piece of shit.

Plenty of reasons to dump Wellman. This, as it stands tonight, is not one of them.

I looked up Tool in the urban dictionary and it reads; When a human being tries to take advantae of a tragic and sad situation to his betterment.

Congrats.

Last edited:
Anyone looking to use this incident to push an agenda (anti-AD or anti-basketball coach for example) is pathetic, as is the rush to judgment without a full knowledge of the facts. Just a sad and tragic series of events.

DR, you I .love you buddy, but this is classless and totally uncalled for. There's no excuse or rationalization for it.

I've seen it reported who why the victim was in NYC. Have we seen it reported what Jones was up to? I would assume recruiting?

Does it matter to Wake's liability whether he was in town for work? Will that affect what Wake contributes towards his defense efforts?

I've seen it reported who why the victim was in NYC. Have we seen it reported what Jones was up to? I would assume recruiting?

Does it matter to Wake's liability whether he was in town for work? Will that affect what Wake contributes towards his defense efforts?
Almost certainly no, unless he was actively recruiting/etc at 1 am in the morning since otherwise he would have been outside the scope of his employment duties at the time of the incident.

This guy represents WFU, the basketball program and should be a role model to the players. He has to better than that. Fire him.

This dude's pregame and halftime pep talks just got a lot more intense.

"When you have an opponent down, make sure they can't get back up."

"We really need to show our killer instinct."

"Get into them and don't let them even breathe."

"Kick their ass and take their wives. Wives? I meant lives."

Guessing he was here to see Cole Anthony and maybe Jalen Lecque. He's from Philly, but also possible he has family in the area.

Looking at where it occurred, there is a Hilton Garden Inn and Fairfield Inn nearby. Probably Jones was staying at one of those hotels.

Super valuable piece of information. Top notch investigative reporting, nutnchill.

WFU civil liability? Dubious. Victim was drunk and acting like an asshole. Not likely that an intentional tort at 1AM is within the course and scope of his employment.

Back