• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

f1b1a93ef3985ed64d6b64fe26e72528.jpg

Fair and balanced. What say you now RJ?

I rarely come to these boards anymore. Thought I'd check in to see about this situation. Reading this thread, I remember why I stopped coming to these boards. Lots of ignorant assholes present just like before. Carry on morons.

Welcome back!

Hoops Asst. Coach Jamil Jones charged with assault on man who later died in hospital

New York requires either intent to kill or depraved indifference to human life for murder 2nd. No way these facts meet that standard.

So does the state where I practice. A little over ten years ago a friend of mine defended a case where his client was alleged to have sucker punched another guy. One punch and when the victim fell down his head hit a beer bottle and he ended up dying. State charged him with second degree murder.

Every day I’m dealing with a case where the facts don’t meet the standard of what the State charged my client with. Overcharging to bully pleas is a common occurrence.

So, I agree with you that the facts (putting aside any viable defenses) warrant a manslaughter charge. But, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the State overcharges as I see it every day, and I’ve specifically seen it in my career with a similar set of facts.

Last edited:
So does the state where I practice. A little over ten years ago a friend of mine defended a case where his client was alleged to have sucker punched another guy. One punch and when the victim fell down his head hit a beer bottle and he ended up dying. State charged him with second degree murder.

Every day I’m dealing with a case where the facts don’t meet the standard of what the State charged my client with. Overcharging to bully pleas is a common occurrence.

So, I agree with you that the facts (putting aside any viable defenses) warrant a manslaughter charge. But, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the State overcharges as I see it every day, and I’ve specifically seen it in my career with a similar set of facts.

This guy knows the game. Just because a DA's office charges a defendant with second degree doesnt mean they think they will get a second degree conviction. They can charge second degree with the belief that if they offer a manslaughter plea the defendant will take it and avoid a trial when they probably should have indicted manslaughter from the beginning. Just classic bullying in to a plea.

The discussion from the beginning was what charge was supported by the facts, not speculating about what a rogue prosecutor *might* do.

Actual honest question, since I see a lot of y'all debating the charges: It seems like all of the coverage on this is reporting that Jones was charged with misdemeanor 3rd degree assault at this point. Is that an indication that prosecutors are hesitant to bring more serious charges because of additional info, or do prosecutors tend to start on the low-end in situations like this (if situations like this exist) and upgrade the charges as warranted?

The discussion from the beginning was what charge was supported by the facts, not speculating about what a rogue prosecutor *might* do.

Wrong. My prediction was he would be charged with 2nd degree murder. That remains my prediction. Is it fair? Of course not. But the elements are there. And this wouldn’t be rogue at all. Normal course for prosecutors trying to make a name and get a paying job.

First, I think the discussion is whatever one wants to make it. I made a comment and you responded.

Second, I disagree with your use of the adjective “rogue” when it comes to overcharging to bully pleas into lesser charges.

This thread reminds me why I stopped coming here a while back.

I don't read the boards like I did in the past, but it's good to see some of you still bitch about everything.

I rarely come to these boards anymore. Thought I'd check in to see about this situation. Reading this thread, I remember why I stopped coming to these boards. Lots of ignorant assholes present just like before. Carry on morons.

cool

Actual honest question, since I see a lot of y'all debating the charges: It seems like all of the coverage on this is reporting that Jones was charged with misdemeanor 3rd degree assault at this point. Is that an indication that prosecutors are hesitant to bring more serious charges because of additional info, or do prosecutors tend to start on the low-end in situations like this (if situations like this exist) and upgrade the charges as warranted?

It would be unusual to upgrade the charges unless additional facts come to light. They probably already had all of the facts in this case at the time they charged him.

I’m actually confused by this, as well. I also question if he ran into court right now and pled to the current charges if the State would be barred from bringing any additional charges. No idea what the NY courts have ruled in those circumstances.

Back