• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

It is my understanding that based upon the initial evidence and laws in NY, WFU believed there was a chance the charges would be dropped entirely. Last week, when the motion to dismiss was denied and with the case now progressing to trial, it was time for action. He resigned rather than be fired.

The plan is to go out and hire a coach to replace him.

So MSD was planning on bringing him back? I’d have a tough time retaining an assistant coach who got in a fight late at night in NYC regardless of if the guy died.

Why would lawyers think the case would be dropped? That’s weird to me. He punched a guy who died.

So MSD was planning on bringing him back? I’d have a tough time retaining an assistant coach who got in a fight late at night in NYC regardless of if the guy died.

Yea that would have been a real good look for the program. It’s already a complete disaster under Manning so I guess so they didn’t really care.

Ron Wellman is a fucking idiot. And apparently so are WF’s lawyers.
I'm not certain, but I presume he's hired his own lawyers unless he was on official business at the time.
Why would lawyers think the case would be dropped? That’s weird to me. He punched a guy who died.
We'll find out for sure when he pleads or the case goes to trial, but apparently his statements of the events that took place greatly contrasts the story from the victims mother, which was picked up by the press. I don't believe he or his attorneys have said very much about their strategy so far.

He was in NYC during a dead period in recruiting, so most likely on personal business (girlfriend, reportedly).

His lawyers first gambit appears to have failed: getting the identification from the videotapes thrown out.

Didn't he lie about it to the school initially as well?

The attorneys at the schools were probably just shitting their pants in fear of terminating him and having him sue the school for wrongful termination if the charges were subsequently dropped. This was their planned strategy the entire time.

I would think his contract should be expiring soon. Many assistant coaches are on one year contracts. For basketball coaches, sometime in April would be the logical time for the contract to end. After NCAA tournament. Before the coaching carousel stops spinning.

So he may have resigned days before his contract expired.

u

Socaldeac aka the prophet says Luke Walton to Arizona.

Oops!

Didn't he lie about it to the school initially as well?

I think he did.

The attorneys at the schools were probably just shitting their pants in fear of terminating him and having him sue the school for wrongful termination if the charges were subsequently dropped. This was their planned strategy the entire time.

Good point.

I would think his contract should be expiring soon. Many assistant coaches are on one year contracts. For basketball coaches, sometime in April would be the logical time for the contract to end. After NCAA tournament. Before the coaching carousel stops spinning.

So he may have resigned days before his contract expired.

Also good point.

He was in NYC during a dead period in recruiting, so most likely on personal business (girlfriend, reportedly).

His lawyers first gambit appears to have failed: getting the identification from the videotapes thrown out.

Whoops

That seems to be the MO for WFU in general, avoiding rash decisions and letting things start to play out before making any moves. A recent example, the Dean of Admissions photo.

Yea that would have been a real good look for the program. It’s already a complete disaster under Manning so I guess so they didn’t really care.

The plan was to bury the news under a pile of Ls.

I would be extremely surprised if Wake planned to let him coach at Wake again. The issues were the method and timing of his departure. Both have now been settled.

Back