• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

I thought the comment from the mom mentioning how ‘scared’ her son must have been when Jones got out of his car was cringe worthy. Seemed overtly racist to me. I could be reading too far into things but I hear crap like that all the time and it bugs me.

It was right at the end of the article and had no meat to the statement.

I'm sure the reporter feels like he did a lot of work on this article but all he really did is get co-opted by this guy's mom who's probably been bugging him for months.

This. Too bad because news on this case is interesting.

I thought the comment from the mom mentioning how ‘scared’ her son must have been when Jones got out of his car was cringe worthy. Seemed overtly racist to me. I could be reading too far into things but I hear crap like that all the time and it bugs me.

It was right at the end of the article and had no meat to the statement.

Could have been. But even she admits her son was a stumbling drunk.

One punch killing

Article in today's DT edition of WaPost about a one punch killing in Philly. Dispute was over a dog off leash in a park. Man with dog off leash then hit complaining man
Victim fell backwards, his head hit the ground and he was pronounced dead at the hospital a little later. Puncher is still at large.

ETA: Here is the link. It is the third story after the CA mud and KY Drunk driving stories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...cfd62dbb0a8_story.html?utm_term=.a0672c119d7c

Last edited:
bumping for any updated information based on the scheduled 1/29 court date or more bickering over legalese

bumping for any updated information based on the scheduled 1/29 court date or more bickering over legalese

Nothing new. The only thing that came out of the 1/29 date is that it was pushed back to April 3.

Can tell yall Jamill Jones has had to be present at every hearing (not sure if that's been clarified, sorry if it already has). He's still a Wake Forest employee on leave.

Can he be fired with the rest of the staff?

surely he's on a one-year contract and we can just let it fade away

April 3 court date is the Wednesday between regional finals and the Final 4; it will be awesome if WF can break into the basketball news cycle during that week

I would think that most assistants at Wake can be fired at any time. Didn’t seem to be a problem when Clawson fired Sawvel, although he didn’t kill a guy so there is that. If they serve at the discretion of the head coach, then I’d imagine a new head coach would have the authority to not retain him.

Most assistant coaches are on one year deals. Wake can effectively fire him by simply not doing anything at the end of his current contract. Presumably that end is sometime shortly after the end of the season, presumably early April.

surely he's on a one-year contract and we can just let it fade away

April 3 court date is the Wednesday between regional finals and the Final 4; it will be awesome if WF can break into the basketball news cycle during that week

Exactly. WF is not going to fire Jones. His contract will run out.

relative to what we're paying Manning, I'm not all that concerned that we're paying Jones

We need a culture change. Maybe someone who combines an incredible work ethic with a razor-sharp basketball mind.

relative to what we're paying Manning, I'm not all that concerned that we're paying Jones

We are paying a coach who killed a man and a coach who kept killing a program.

Back