• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

You prefer the performance of WF athletics

Nah. I don’t get a hard on for mediocre bowls the way some of y’all do (though I’m probably going to make the two and a half hour trip trek down I-20). And it’s hard to enjoy Soccer’s success when I can’t make it to Winston as often as I used to.

Nah. I don’t get a hard on for mediocre bowls the way some of y’all do (though I’m probably going to make the two and a half hour trip trek down I-20). And it’s hard to enjoy Soccer’s success when I can’t make it to Winston as often as I used to.

Of all the RChill absurdities, the "I have higher standards than everyone" is the best.

i picture you saying this, standing, waiting for the water to burst into the bridge of the Titanic

I'll side with the person who spent the first part of his career as a lawyer working in the DA's office. He just might know what he is talking about.

I spent the first part of my career in a DA’s office too. A DA’s office that charged someone with second degree murder when they killed somebody with one punch. Not saying that’s what will happen here. But, I’m certainly not going to say it’s impossible when I’ve seen it first hand.

I'm waiting for Sam Waterston to weigh in. Seriously, maybe this is one of the instances where NY law is a little different and we should wait and see how the prosecutor there decides to roll.

I am just getting back in to viewing these boards more after roughly two years, and either this place has gotten weird, or I am just noticing now.

The article said "online debate along racial lines" - does race have anything to do with it in anybody's mind?
I don't trust a grieving mother's judgment. And, connecting to an event where an older person was acting heroically and got hit by a young thug and died does not clarify any facts in this case either.
It was interesting that Jones has changed attorneys.

I'm just amazed WF has not officially terminated the guy just based on the fact he is responsible for a man's death including punching him so hard his teeth went into lips and caused his death and he walked away as if nothing happened and gone for 4 days????? Guess that is the type of culture we want. Even if he was defending someone you don't leave a guy down and writhing and clearly in need of help??? And by all accounts no other person was really at risk. Just bizarre.

I am just getting back in to viewing these boards more after roughly two years, and either this place has gotten weird, or I am just noticing now.

I wish I knew who you could PM for details about this.

I’m going to assume Rchill lives in Meridian, MS as it fits better than Atlanta.

Do district attorney's offices get super excited when people go to the media and complain that they want more charges ?

please chime in you super studs who have spent time in a DAs office

I’m going to miss rchill when he is dead and gone from these here boards. Great poster providing ample entertainment and ultimate russler of thy jimmie.

That's fine I've worked in a DA's office too. Let me clue you both in on how charging works. There is a thing called "prosecutorial discretion." It means the District Attorney who is prosecuting the case can choose what he wants to charge Jones with, if he wants to plea bargain, etc. Good DA's go with the highest charge they can get and include all lesser available charges as well. That strategy provides leverage and a position of power if the DA wants to plea bargain. If Jones goes to trial and gets convicted on the highest charge all that matters is when Jones' attorney appeals, will that charge hold up in appellate review? The answer is it can, but feel free to do your own legal research on the matter if you want to double check my work.

LOL, you have no clue. Even the victim's family is pushing for criminally negligent homicide, which is below manslaughter.

Ethically, a prosecutor isn't supposed to charge higher than what he/she has good faith belief can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It's a higher standard than probable cause, which is why prosecutors routinely reduce what's charged initially by police. Apparently you once worked in a DA's office. While I can't speak to you or the office you worked in, I and the people I worked with took our ethical obligations seriously.

LOL, you have no clue. Even the victim's family is pushing for criminally negligent homicide, which is below manslaughter.

Ethically, a prosecutor isn't supposed to charge higher than what he/she has good faith belief can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It's a higher standard than probable cause, which is why prosecutors routinely reduce what's charged initially by police. Apparently you once worked in a DA's office. While I can't speak to you or the office you worked in, I and the people I worked with took our ethical obligations seriously.

So you mischaracterize all my posts in this thread about whether the prosecutor can charge, to me suggesting he should charge....then you are insinuating that I or people I have worked with are unethical in our real world jobs? Neg rep for that, and I will await your apology!

Also notice how you completely ignore Les Grossman's posts about seeing a DA he worked with charge second-degree murder. Is there a reason you felt you should singly address me and attack my character and ethics?

Back