• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former WF Hoops Asst Coach Jamil Jones gets probation for 3rd degree assault (update)

We are paying a coach who killed a man and a coach who kept killing a program.

Best guess is that his contract expires in April. It would be awkward to have to extend an assistant coach in the event Wake was playing in a basketball tournament in early April.

It will be interesting to see if anything of more substance than another postponement happens April 3.

relative to what we're paying Manning, I'm not all that concerned that we're paying Jones

Does he currently count toward any NCAA limit on the number of assistants? If so, we need to move on and hire a top-notch recruiter. If he sues for wrongful discharge later, I'm okay with that.

Does he currently count toward any NCAA limit on the number of assistants? If so, we need to move on and hire a top-notch recruiter. If he sues for wrongful discharge later, I'm okay with that.

Because he is suspended, he does not count against the allowed assistant coaches. Baumann was promoted into that spot.

Jones was supposed to be the coach with the AAU contacts for recruiting. Nice for Baumann that he got the official assistant coach job. But he doesn't have any rep as a guy connected with the AAU circuit.

Wake needs to shuffle assistants to get some better recruiting. But it probably won't happen.

Shuffle deck chairs on the Titanic under Captain Manning?

Because he is suspended, he does not count against the allowed assistant coaches. Baumann was promoted into that spot.

Bauman came from Tulsa as director of basketball operations. He never played hoops. He was a student manager in college.

Can he be fired with the rest of the staff?

This question now has been overcome by events. With the retention of Danny Manning by Wellman, Jamil Jones contract should run out before Manning is fired.

So, will Manning hire the next coach or will Wellman handle that for him before May 1st?

So, will Manning hire the next coach or will Wellman handle that for him before May 1st?

Baumann was promoted from DBO to that assistant coach slot months ago. It will be interesting to see what Manning does with his staff for the upcoming season.

As head coaches sett;e into new jobs, the assistants start moving around. Those who worked for the fired head coaches have been busy sending out resumes. There are probably some good assistants among those out of jobs because the HC was let go.

Totally unclear to me whether Danny makes any changes to his staff, other than Ernie Nestor going back to retirement.

Nothing new. The only thing that came out of the 1/29 date is that it was pushed back to April 3.

Can tell yall Jamill Jones has had to be present at every hearing (not sure if that's been clarified, sorry if it already has). He's still a Wake Forest employee on leave.

when is the new date?

Man facing charges for killing someone weighs options, resigns from Danny Manning's staff.

Man facing charges for killing someone weighs options, resigns from Danny Manning's staff.

Apparently another coach will be hired. How this affects the responsibilities of the guy originally brought on during the suspension is unclear. Maybe Bobby Lutz is interested. Or let's bring on Wes as coach-in-waiting.

Apparently another coach will be hired. How this affects the responsibilities of the guy originally brought on during the suspension is unclear. Maybe Bobby Lutz is interested. Or let's bring on Wes as coach-in-waiting.

Let's just promote Evan Manning.

Very odd timing on his resignation. Why now, instead of shortly after being charged? What happened to trigger the resignation? Was it the recent court ruling on the identification via tape? Or?????

Why not continue on leave with pay and have some income to pay his attorney?

I would expect his contract to expire sometime this month, unless he too has a multi-year deal.

Perhaps we made a deal to give him the rest of his contract if he agreed to resign when it expired. He gets the money and Wake doesn’t have to make the call.

Very odd timing on his resignation. Why now, instead of shortly after being charged? What happened to trigger the resignation? Was it the recent court ruling on the identification via tape? Or?????

Why not continue on leave with pay and have some income to pay his attorney?

I would expect his contract to expire sometime this month, unless he too has a multi-year deal.
It is my understanding that based upon the initial evidence and laws in NY, WFU believed there was a chance the charges would be dropped entirely. Last week, when the motion to dismiss was denied and with the case now progressing to trial, it was time for action. He resigned rather than be fired.

The plan is to go out and hire a coach to replace him.

Back