• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brutal Maryland Football Article - ESPN

Bad karma for dumping Freidgen and hiring Edsall. Former Wake HC candidate Pete Lembo, got out of there just in time. We'll see him next year on the Rice sidelines.

I don’t recall the exact timing, but a big time o-like prospect pick Maryland over Wake (Boulware?) but left Maryland after a year or two. I don’t think he ever landed anywhere else. I wonder if this is why he left.

Terps have their own golf course on campus in addition to an on campus arena. Perfect situation.

Maryland just announced plans to take 4 holes of their golf course for parking, to build a new track and for intermural sports. Obviously a 14 hole golf course is not viable, ultimately MD will take the entire course for other projects (they may go with a 9 hole course for awhile; too bad as the course was legit and affordable; they used to play a Buy.com event there).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/u-md-wants-to-take-a-part-of-its-18-hole-golf-course-and-turn-it-into-intramural-fields/2018/08/11/ef9b74fe-968f-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.11b80f3f20b2

Feel no sympathy (do feel sympathy for the McNair family; heart-breaking to lose 19 year-old who appeared to be trying to "man up" and make it through a conditioning workout) for the bad things that happen to the Maryland athletic program after they left the ACC.

Understand the increased revenue motive, but Maryland has yet to have a significant athletic signature moment since entering the Big 10. Seems like athletic buzz around Maryland sports has faded since leaving the ACC. If the current episode and the resulting investigation continue to head in the current direction, the Maryland athletic tumble will just accelerate. Good.

Last edited:
Maryland just announced plans to take 4 holes of their golf course for parking, to build a new track and for intermural sports. Obviously a 14 hole golf course is not viable, ultimately MD will take the entire course for other projects (they may go with a 9 hole course for awhile; too bad as the course was legit and affordable; they used to play a Buy.com event there).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.11b80f3f20b2

Feel no sympathy (do feel sympathy for the McNair family; heart-breaking to lose 19 year-old who appeared to be trying to "man up" and make it through a conditioning workout) for the bad things that happen to the Maryland athletic program after they left the ACC.

Understand the increased revenue motive, but Maryland has yet to have a significant athletic signature moment since entering the Big 10. Seems like athletic buzz around Maryland sports has faded since leaving the ACC. If the current episode and the resulting investigation continue to head in the current direction, the Maryland athletic tumble will just accelerate. Good.

Easy come, easy go. One more reason for some at Maryland to hate Loh.

I watched a WFU summer workout a couple of years ago (when there was still a wall) an couldn’t believe the hard work the players were putting in by pushing sleds in 95 degree heat. When I saw their effort and the build and strength of most of our players, I knew good things were ahead. Those guys were working their asses off. Of course, the players were being hydrated with tons of Gatorade and being drenched with water. The coaches were pushing them but nothing over the top that I could see. There are limits to these workouts and apparantly Maryland crossed the line pretty badly.

I watched a WFU summer workout a couple of years ago (when there was still a wall) an couldn’t believe the hard work the players were putting in by pushing sleds in 95 degree heat. When I saw their effort and the build and strength of most of our players, I knew good things were ahead. Those guys were working their asses off. Of course, the players were being hydrated with tons of Gatorade and being drenched with water. The coaches were pushing them but nothing over the top that I could see. There are limits to these workouts and apparantly Maryland crossed the line pretty badly.

Its one thing to ask the guys to put in work and go as hard as they can go and encourage them to push limits, all the while taking care to minimize danger to health. Its another to do what the Maryland staff is accused of doing, intimidating, demeaning, belittling and not taking proper care of the kids with hydration and cooling etc.

Its one thing to ask the guys to put in work and go as hard as they can go and encourage them to push limits, all the while taking care to minimize danger to health. Its another to do what the Maryland staff is accused of doing, intimidating, demeaning, belittling and not taking proper care of the kids with hydration and cooling etc.

Agree. WF does it the right way and their hard work has paid off the past 2 years.

Press conference ongoing with the president of the university. Admits that mistakes were made in the death of Jordan McNair, and assumes responsibility. Says they will follow appropriate due process to address allegations against Durkin and co. with an independent investigation before making any moves.

Press conference ongoing with the president of the university. Admits that mistakes were made in the death of Jordan McNair, and assumes responsibility. Says they will follow appropriate due process to address allegations against Durkin and co. with an independent investigation before making any moves.

They didn't interview anyone for 2 months. WTF were they doing? How about trying to prevent this from happening again.

Seems like the administration is handling things pretty well in a really bad situation. Wonder if the media and court of public opinion will crucify them like they've done with OSU/Meyer for allowing "due process".

Seems like the administration is handling things pretty well in a really bad situation. Wonder if the media and court of public opinion will crucify them like they've done with OSU/Meyer for allowing "due process".

The administration is handling this terribly. They wasted 2 months. They are just now starting an investigation. The players were there all summer.

Did you listen to the press conference? They've apparently already concluded the invesitgation into the player's death and have admitted fault. They hired a panel of medical "experts". They've changed their practices in terms of managing heat, exertion, etc during team activities.

The investigation into Durkin and staff is just starting, fairly quickly after the allegations came out. I guess they could have been more aggressive in terms of interviewing players/staffers to try to determine if the program was toxic, but it's hard for me to fault them for their first priority being to determine what caused a kid to die, why it happened, and to prevent it from happening again.

Edit: they also already fired the S&C coach, which certainly appeared to be appropriate, and I'm highly doubtful that Durkin keeps his job - it doesn't seem like he should, based on the testimony received thus far.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/u-md-wants-to-take-a-part-of-its-18-hole-golf-course-and-turn-it-into-intramural-fields/2018/08/11/ef9b74fe-968f-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.11b80f3f20b2

The last time I played there I was driving the cart full speed through the rough and hit a stump that they had allowed the grass to grow up around so you couldn't see. Cart stopped dead in it's tracks and threw me against the steering wheel then out the side. Hurt my head, arm, and leg. Fuck that course.

Did you listen to the press conference? They've apparently already concluded the invesitgation into the player's death and have admitted fault. They hired a panel of medical "experts". They've changed their practices in terms of managing heat, exertion, etc during team activities.

The investigation into Durkin and staff is just starting, fairly quickly after the allegations came out. I guess they could have been more aggressive in terms of interviewing players/staffers to try to determine if the program was toxic, but it's hard for me to fault them for their first priority being to determine what caused a kid to die, why it happened, and to prevent it from happening again.

Edit: they also already fired the S&C coach, which certainly appeared to be appropriate, and I'm highly doubtful that Durkin keeps his job - it doesn't seem like he should, based on the testimony received thus far.

My concern isn't about the 2nd allegations, they are doing well there. My issue is their response after the kid died. They just placed their strength and conditioning coach on leave recently. He was training the kids all summer.

Any time some old guy on here tells you that football turns boys into men and that football is unique in it's ability to shape men and build character, just laugh in their face. The death of this sport can't happen soon enough.

Damon Evans was a little disingenuous in his letter. He makes it sound like he is just picking up the pieces since being named AD in July. Who preceded him as AD you ask? It was interim (since last fall) AD Damon Evans! So permanent AD Damon Evans making it look like he is picking up pieces of his predecessor is a sham. He was his own predecessor.

My concern isn't about the 2nd allegations, they are doing well there. My issue is their response after the kid died. They just placed their strength and conditioning coach on leave recently. He was training the kids all summer.

Maryland strength and conditioning coach resigned and got $315K as a settlement.

Any time some old guy on here tells you that football turns boys into men and that football is unique in it's ability to shape men and build character, just laugh in their face. The death of this sport can't happen soon enough.

hqdefault.jpg

Suck neg, kid.

Back