• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brutal Maryland Football Article - ESPN

hqdefault.jpg

Suck neg, kid.

haha. this guy thinks football programs care about players' health.

I thought I read yesterday that he was fired........ it resigned.

My guess it was a "motivated" resignation. Resign and get about 2/3 of the money remaining on your contract. Force us to fire you and you can sue us in court to try to get whatever you think you are owed. Your choice.

I would guess that Durkin is not far behind. Just a matter of working out the detail$$$$$$. Other coaches may follow.

Durkin came in doing these brutal practices as part of "toughening up" the Maryland players. Here is an article describing practices in Durkin's first summer (2016) at MD.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/s...terps-first-practice-0811-20160810-story.html

Matt Canada and a few others may survive through this season, as they were brought on board this year.

The Junkies have had a few old school football guys on their show over the past couple of days doing a sad job of excusing Maryland for this whole thing, Durkin in particular.

Blaming the trainer while calling Durkin's actions "exactly what every D1 coach does to motivate their players when they have to" is just sickening to listen to. Phrases like "these things happen" and "I got cursed at when I was a player" and "it's not like it was 115 degrees out" are the hottest talking points.

It's nice that most people recognize there's nothing subtle here - it's not cursing or toughness that's the issue, it's simple negligence and a culture that promoted that negligence as a kind of justified method of teaching. From the head coach to the training staff and probably even to team members themselves. Burn it from the top down.

haha. this guy thinks football programs care about players' health.

Overall, they certainly care a lot, but they are too slow to put in the right rules, procedures, equipment, etc. to ensure it is given the priority it deserves. Way too reactive instead of proactive. Hopefully that will change.

Overall, they certainly care a lot, but they are too slow to put in the right rules, procedures, equipment, etc. to ensure it is given the priority it deserves. Way too reactive instead of proactive. Hopefully that will change.

Hopefully Wells Fargo will change too.

The Junkies have had a few old school football guys on their show over the past couple of days doing a sad job of excusing Maryland for this whole thing, Durkin in particular.

Blaming the trainer while calling Durkin's actions "exactly what every D1 coach does to motivate their players when they have to" is just sickening to listen to. Phrases like "these things happen" and "I got cursed at when I was a player" and "it's not like it was 115 degrees out" are the hottest talking points.

It's nice that most people recognize there's nothing subtle here - it's not cursing or toughness that's the issue, it's simple negligence and a culture that promoted that negligence as a kind of justified method of teaching. From the head coach to the training staff and probably even to team members themselves. Burn it from the top down.

I think Durkin is gone and soon. Just a matter of exactly when. One or two others may also go soon. "Soon" here means by shortly after release of the report on training methods, due Sep 15.

I expect Matt Canada to remain interim or acting HC for the whole season, with MD beginning a search for a new head coach.

It will be interesting to see if Damon Evans keeps his job when all the dust settles. He was the assistant AD over football who was part of the hiring of Durkin, then acting AD while (former AD) Kevin Anderson was on sabbatical, and was made AD early this summer. So all this took place on his watch.

I think Durkin is gone and soon. Just a matter of exactly when. One or two others may also go soon. "Soon" here means by shortly after release of the report on training methods, due Sep 15.

I expect Matt Canada to remain interim or acting HC for the whole season, with MD beginning a search for a new head coach.

It will be interesting to see if Damon Evans keeps his job when all the dust settles. He was the assistant AD over football who was part of the hiring of Durkin, then acting AD while (former AD) Kevin Anderson was on sabbatical, and was made AD early this summer. So all this took place on his watch.

From the outside, Durkin looked like a great hire. He had experience working for big names in the profession, and he immediately upgraded Maryland's recruiting. The record hasn't been great but there has been discernible improvement in his teams, particularly if you take into account that last year's record suffered as a result of the top 2 QBs tearing their ACLs early in the season.

With the obvious qualifier that what's happened behind the scenes at Maryland is disgraceful and unforgivable, I can see how a Maryland football fan would be disappointed to see Durkin's tenure prematurely end. He was building something, as trivial as that might sound given the tragic cost involved.

lol

Looks like Maryland finally consulted their legal and PR firms. Both said the same thing: "The best time to address this issue was two months ago. The next best time is today."

The repercussions were set - lose a wrongful death lawsuit, bad PR, recruiting hit. They're owning it and trying to take the high road to mitigate these things.

Looks like Maryland finally consulted their legal and PR firms. Both said the same thing: "The best time to address this issue was two months ago. The next best time is today."

The repercussions were set - lose a wrongful death lawsuit, bad PR, recruiting hit. They're owning it and trying to take the high road to mitigate these things.

Big washington Post article about new procedures at practices. More water breaks, cooling sprays etc.

I didn't play much football back in the day, but one of the reasons I passed, aside from lack of talent, was the coaches called you a pussy if you drank water. I remember Carolina guard Billy Arnold dying from lack of hydration during preseason practice and the Carolina coaches berating him as he died. It was one of the reasons that Billy Dooley's tenure was not celebrated despite a very good record. Dooley also ran a boring tailback oriented offense that worked except against really good teams.

“He cited 33 NCAA football players who died while training between 2000 and 2016...”

I don’t remember hearing about these. That is a huge issue.

“He cited 33 NCAA football players who died while training between 2000 and 2016...”

I don’t remember hearing about these. That is a huge issue.

Agree. That is crazy and a seriously under reported issue if true.

The 11 guys at Iowa that all suffered from rhabdomyolysis in the same year shows a real lack of concern for the welfare of players.

I am surprised that more coaches have not had their careers damaged by this kind of thing.

I can't imagine having a kid get a scholarship to a D1 university and have him treated this callously.

It’s almost as if the NCAA doesn’t really care about the well-being of student-athletes, just cashing checks.

It’s almost as if the NCAA doesn’t really care about the well-being of student-athletes, just cashing checks.

No doubt, but you would think the individual universities would not want the bad publicity and potential law suits.

Do we need a #metoo moment in college athletics?

Yes. We kind of had one a few years ago when NW tried to unionize but it got squashed.

Back