• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brutal Maryland Football Article - ESPN

This is the sports fan base that threw shit at our bus and refused to serve us after the 2006 game up there. So no shock they lack any sort of class or morality.

That strength coach and others saw the kid barely able to stand and slurring speech, or was that all rumor?

We should perhaps select a few of the guys Durkin looks up to as mentors and question them too.

Urban Meyer is the obvious mentor.

Will Muschamp

Jim Harbaugh

One of those guys maybe also has an issue with being an asshole who doesn’t notice heat stroke or simply runs kids into the ground. I’ll go with Harbaugh, but Urban is sneaky crazy.

That’s my synopsis of this tragedy.

Among other areas of negligence, Durkins staff did not have cooling facilities on the practice field. There was reported to have been an hour between the kid collapsing and the call to 911. The big report documented numerous other acts of physical and mental abuse perpetrated by Durkin personally and by staff with Durkin present.

So don't go cherry picking to make it seem like Durkin was railroaded.

How many coaches would allow a player to lie down during practice for an hour without finding out why?

Was it really necessary to fire Durkin? Perhaps Maryland could have hired a wise old former Maryland coach (like Ralph Friedgen) who was popular with the fans and media to help Durkin do his job better.

After all, the investigation revealed that Durkin was "in over his head" as a head coach of a big-time program. Didn't he deserve a chance to learn on the job, since it should have been clear from the start that he was not ready to be the head coach of a "B1Gly" football program?

I like how you think.

Hadn’t thought of Friedgen in years. Didn’t realize he’s 71 and he was a special assistant at Rutgers a few years ago.

Have now heard that James Brady, chair of the UM board of regents, is stepping down following severe criticism of their decision to keep Durkin.
Is Damon Evans, the AD, the next to go?
What a screwed up situation.

Have now heard that James Brady, chair of the UM board of regents, is stepping down following severe criticism of their decision to keep Durkin.
Is Damon Evans, the AD, the next to go?
What a screwed up situation.

Not surprised Brady is stepping down. Once the Board ultimatum to Loh was made public and Loh defied the board, either Loh had to be fired or at least some part of the board had to quit. When the governor disagrees with your position, you have little choice.

Evans should go next.

Evans has really wasted his career. He had a dream job taking over the UGA AD job and then blew that with his 'red panties' episode. Now, he's in a mess at UMd. Not sure who would hire him after this.

Damon (Teflon) Evans remains in place.

Two senior athletics trainers were fired this week.
The MD Board of Regents elected a new chair, Linda R. Gooden. She is a retired Lockheed Martin Executive. She was appointed by former Governor O'Malley, so she has only a year left in her five year term.

Sounds like a one-year interim job for this man in 2019 while they get their act together and return to the dominance they've deluded themselves into believing they're capable of in Alaska...
uTapEb.gif

Sounds like a one-year interim job for this man in 2019 while they get their act together and return to the dominance they've deluded themselves into believing they're capable of in Alaska...
uTapEb.gif

Which man? Damon Evans?

Linda R. Gooden, according to all known sources, is a WOMAN. She is the chair of the Maryland Board of Regents as of this week.

She is not eligible for reappointment, as she is in her second five year term.

Which man? Damon Evans?

Linda R. Gooden, according to all known sources, is a WOMAN. She is the chair of the Maryland Board of Regents as of this week.

She is not eligible for reappointment, as she is in her second five year term.

The man depicted in the GIF attached to my reply, which I'm guessing you aren't able to see for some reason. Hint: he used to coach at Wake Forest AND Baylor.

Ivin Jasper, currently OC at Navy mentioned in an article as a good choice for MD head coach.

Ivin Jasper, currently OC at Navy mentioned in an article as a good choice for MD head coach.

I think that would be a good move for Maryland to transition back into competitive football. I'm assuming to work at Navy he is also not a sketchy player abuser, which is a plus.

Exclusively run-based triple option football like they play at the military academies is a tough sell at a Power V school.

Schools fear that:

a) it does not attract fans (disagree)
b) makes it hard to recruit on the highest level (probably true)
c) while you can be competitive, pure running option teams can't win at the highest level with that style (Nebraska was the last to do it 20 years ago)

Many GT fans are sick of option football. Personally, I love it, and for a program trying to climb out of the abyss, it makes sense, but I'm doubting MD takes that step.

I agree with your comments and opinions on option football. I love it and it is cool to see GT using it when they are firing on all cylinders.

What is crazy is that GT has recently had two great WR's in the NFL - Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. Clearly outliers for the position and option offense, but really strong ones.

What is crazy is that GT has recently had two great WR's in the NFL - Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. Clearly outliers for the position and option offense, but really strong ones.

Calvin Johnson was there pre-option for GT. You may recall the ACCCG from 2006 :)

Back