• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs in the NFL 2018

Marquel Lee has made some plays for the Raiders early on against the Rams today.

Lee ended up with 5 tackles and a sack, Kyle with 3 tackles.
Bates has 4 tackles for Bengals already.
Duke with 3 tackles with tfl so far, KJohnson with 1 tackle, Camp no stats today,
KJBrent hurt his knee in practice today and is questionable for Monday game.

Last edited:
[h=1]Marvin Lewis thinks Jessie Bates could be the guy at safety “real quick”[/h] 44 comments

[h=2]Lewis and staff are pushing Bates to get him ready to play.[/h]
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/15/17690630/marvin-lewis-jessie-bates-safety

“We have been pushing him in early, and you want to see him take command when he has to take command,” Lewis said of Bates during his August 14 press conference. ”He could end up being the guy back there real quick. You have to keep urging Jessie to move forward.”
Bates did not start in the Bengals’ preseason opener, but he was one of the first defensive players subbed in during the first quarter, and he impressed Lewis with his performance.
“He came up in some nice fits in the run game and made some good tackles.”

“He’s physically gifted and as talented as we expected,” Lewis stated. “He’s what we wanted. He’s demonstrated in practice how to get to the right spots on the field, and we just have to keep moving.”
Lewis believes in what Bates can do physically and that he just needs to get comfortable with the defense.
“He’s more of an analytical-learning type of person. He takes it all in and hears what you are saying and now needs to come out the other end that way,” Lewis said.
Getting action in the preseason will help Bates to develop as a leader in the secondary.
“The biggest thing for him is handling the different ins and outs of the game,” added Lewis. “The situation, the down and distance, field position and all of those things.”

Comments like these support Jessie's conclusion that it was time to leave Wake when he did. Glad to hear he is doing well.

He’s doing really well. The Bengals just cut their 28 year old veteran starting FS.

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1031235651168096256

Just getting ready to post this. What a vote of confidence for Bates. (Though five years from now he may be in a similar position - hopefully getting paid well.)

I talked with Cameron Glenn’s dad, who said he hopes for Cameron to be a third or fourth round pick.

The Panthers signed another TE today. Serigne’s odds got even longer.

ESPN: Predicting Breakout Candidates For Each Team

Oakland Raiders:

MLB Marquel Lee. The 2017 fifth-round draft pick has been getting serious run with the first-team defense in camp. Enough to put free-agent vet signee Derrick Johnson on notice? Probably not yet. But coach Jon Gruden has raved about the run-stuffing play of Lee, who sees himself as a three-down linebacker. "There is a guy that really stepped up," Gruden said. "He's physical. I think he's more and more of a complete linebacker. He's getting more comfortable in pass coverage. I think he's a presence in the middle of our defense right now. It's something that is not going unnoticed with his teammates and coaches." -- Paul Gutierrez

Sounds like Lee is a real Gruden Grinder.

Last edited:
It's weird reading Gruden quotes as Coach Gruden and not ESPN Gruden.

It's weird reading Gruden quotes as Coach Gruden and not ESPN Gruden.

Every time I read one of his quotes it starts off in my head as "I'll tell ya what man, there's a guy that..."

That is a very promising sign for Jessie. Banks with no stats for the GMen Friday but Chubb with 4 tackles for Titans Sat. Did anyone catch Looney's play for Jerry's men?

That is a very promising sign for Jessie. Banks with no stats for the GMen Friday but Chubb with 4 tackles for Titans Sat. Did anyone catch Looney's play for Jerry's men?

Looney played the entire game at center, and played well. Word is he’s in the best physical shape of his career. He’s a solid back-up at both G and C.

The Panthers signed another TE today. Serigne’s odds got even longer.

Reese, 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, finished his four-year career at Missouri with 29 receptions for 369 yards and five touchdowns. This sounds like a very different type of TE than Cam. Mizzou threw the ball a ton, and the guy only had 29 receptions in a career. Not saying Cam will make the team, but I don't think it will be because of this guy.

The question is if Cam will make the practice squad. Cam was one of 6 TE and now it is 7.

Reese, 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, finished his four-year career at Missouri with 29 receptions for 369 yards and five touchdowns. This sounds like a very different type of TE than Cam. Mizzou threw the ball a ton, and the guy only had 29 receptions in a career. Not saying Cam will make the team, but I don't think it will be because of this guy.

Sounds like a project at left tackle.

Wolford back on Jets as per other thread, active roster and may play in 4th game for shot at practice squad.

Campanaro placed on IR. Did not play in pre-season.

I gotta wonder how long before Camp hangs it up. Dude has been hurt his entire career, and he was a fringe special teams talent to begin with. Its honestly amazing hes still on a roster at this point, a real testament to his perseverance.

Back