• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A new model for Wake Men's Basketball

DeacInVermont

Reaction score
In professional wrestling, there is a concept known as the heel turn where a character switches from being a "good guy" to a "bad guy".

As a long-time Wake fan, I'm tired... tired of hints of occasional success that only serve to make me long for it more when we ultimately disappoint... tired of thinking that anything we've experienced in men's hoops in the last two decades really resembles success... tired of watching our rivals cheat their way to championships- whether it is Duke players getting academic credits at NCCU or UNC players getting academic credits for showing up on campus for practice.

We've long held a holier-than-thou attitude about how we do things the "right" way and don't cut corners on the road to success, yet we never really reach our destination. While other teams field sustaining winning programs, we lurch about in a long, gray slog, proud to be one of the top 40 teams every few years. We even get a coach that everyone seems to love and plays an exciting brand of basketball only to have him smoten.

That is why it is time. It is time for the heel turn. It is time to live up to the black that drapes our shoulders.

What is the downside? When our best post players start the game with two fouls? When our road conference record looks like a team that is still on the death penalty? When half of our players leave for other schools or Israel after each season (as an aside, is it possible their departures are out of fear of Jamil "Fists of Stone" Jones?). When we keep showing up on the Today Show for one ridiculous story after another?

It's time to lean into the bad guy routine. Let's keep Jones on as assistant, but fire Manning and bring in Rick Pitino as head coach and Dave Bliss as a 2nd assistant. Let's nut-punch our way to victory. If we're going to get called for BS fouls anyway, let's make 'em count. We should have a reputation like the '80's Raiders or '90's Knicks. Let's do what NCState should have done but was too incompetent to manage.

We need a new kind of Wake Will. Wake Will kick your ass and then elbow your mom in the neck afterward for good measure. Wake Will make that Duke soft punk shooting guard think twice about initiating contact when driving to the basket. Wake Will make you stay away from the sideline unless you want to end up in the 3rd row of spectators. Wake Will make the refs inspect our knee pads for razors.

This is a call to arms, and legs, and feet, and fingernails, and teeth, and fists. It's time. Bad guys wear black.

Lol hard to play the tough guy when we're getting our asses handed to us on the court. We're a mentally soft team that collapses with adversity, and have been for almost a decade...whether we're good, bad, or whatever image you want to throw out there, that mentality isn't going to take you very far.

This post is exactly right. It’s past time to clean house and start over in our AD.

so these models are no longer any good?

Belk

thumb.aspx

Belk

In. But the new coach has to have a beard. And not one of those dandy hipster ones like our strength and conditioning guy has, who probably waxes it with his dandy beard wax every night and flexes in front of the mirror. I'm talking about a gnarly beard, like Popovich sometimes has, or maybe the beard equivalent of Ed Cooley's hair, with random patches in it and shit.

our new coach has to be a guy who above all else scares the living daylights out of anyone who dares to ref our games

pack a heater if you have to

Well I don't know about guns, but someone who knows his way around a butterfly knife wouldn't hurt.

man i've been saying this shit for years

i want to make our pregame song sting's "fields of gold" and have a stadium full of fans chanting that shit, make other fans and teams afraid to come to our weird cult ass games

really though we should've just hired bruce pearl when we had the chance

We need a new kind of Wake Will. Wake Will kick your ass and then elbow your mom in the neck afterward for good measure. Wake Will make that Duke soft punk shooting guard think twice about initiating contact when driving to the basket. Wake Will make you stay away from the sideline unless you want to end up in the 3rd row of spectators. Wake Will make the refs inspect our knee pads for razors.

This made me laugh.

In professional wrestling, there is a concept known as the heel turn where a character switches from being a "good guy" to a "bad guy".

As a long-time Wake fan, I'm tired... tired of hints of occasional success that only serve to make me long for it more when we ultimately disappoint... tired of thinking that anything we've experienced in men's hoops in the last two decades really resembles success... tired of watching our rivals cheat their way to championships- whether it is Duke players getting academic credits at NCCU or UNC players getting academic credits for showing up on campus for practice.

We've long held a holier-than-thou attitude about how we do things the "right" way and don't cut corners on the road to success, yet we never really reach our destination. While other teams field sustaining winning programs, we lurch about in a long, gray slog, proud to be one of the top 40 teams every few years. We even get a coach that everyone seems to love and plays an exciting brand of basketball only to have him smoten.

That is why it is time. It is time for the heel turn. It is time to live up to the black that drapes our shoulders.

What is the downside? When our best post players start the game with two fouls? When our road conference record looks like a team that is still on the death penalty? When half of our players leave for other schools or Israel after each season (as an aside, is it possible their departures are out of fear of Jamil "Fists of Stone" Jones?). When we keep showing up on the Today Show for one ridiculous story after another?

Let's nut-punch our way to victory.

This is a call to arms, and legs, and feet, and fingernails, and teeth, and fists. It's time. Bad guys wear black.

Hahaha that cracked me up...why not become the "Bad Boys" like the Pistons of the 80's?? Hire Laimbeer and get Rodman to come to our games with special guest Kim Jong Un...who knows, maybe DJT himself might show up when we're playing in the Natl Title game, with thousands of people in attendance just to root against us...let's eschew all this #culture and reputation shit and just go for broke. If we get the Death Penalty after winning a title, how is it any different than where the program is now? We're already in a self-imposed exile it seems.

In. But the new coach has to have a beard. And not one of those dandy hipster ones like our strength and conditioning guy has, who probably waxes it with his dandy beard wax every night and flexes in front of the mirror. I'm talking about a gnarly beard, like Popovich sometimes has, or maybe the beard equivalent of Ed Cooley's hair, with random patches in it and shit.

Agreed. But I'd like to see you tell our S&C coach his beard is dandy to his face...

I’m in!

It's time to lean into the bad guy routine. Let's keep Jones on as assistant, but fire Manning and bring in Rick Pitino as head coach and Dave Bliss as a 2nd assistant. Let's nut-punch our way to victory. If we're going to get called for BS fouls anyway, let's make 'em count. We should have a reputation like the '80's Raiders or '90's Knicks. Let's do what NCState should have done but was too incompetent to manage.

Back