• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Men's Soccer 2018 In-Season Thread

Deshields pulled his hamstring and Mundet has a groin injury. The home team usually posts the highlights because they have the camera crew. You can find Saturday's on UVA's twitter.

Not sure if you all are aware, but the kid who scored UVa's second, Daniel Steedman, is the son of Andrew Steedman - owner of Strikers Soccer Center in Huntersville.

Not sure if you all are aware, but the kid who scored UVa's second, Daniel Steedman, is the son of Andrew Steedman - owner of Strikers Soccer Center in Huntersville.

So how did he get to UVA and not get stopped at Wake?

I mean, we’ve had top 5 recruiting classes pretty much every year the last few years, and have spent more time ranked #1 in the country than not the last three years or so. I get wanting a local kid at Wake, but there’s definitely no reason to complain about recruiting in men’s soccer considering the results.

Comfort level with the coaching staff and early playing time were major factors in his recruitment.

I'm not complaining about Wake soccer recruiting overall. My original question was curiosity about whether there was a story about why a kid who was living about two hours drive from the Wake campus ended up going to UVA.

My follow-up was some skepticism that a guy who coykd score against Wake's defense was "not good enough" to play for Wake. As good as UVA has been, I would expect there are players Wake has been in recruiting battles against UVA for some players.

If this guy wasn't one of them, or one Wake lost I would have liked a story with more details about why he went to UVA and not Wake.

Maybe he preferred the college atmosphere of UVA to Wake. I don’t really understand your point.

Maybe he preferred the college atmosphere of UVA to Wake. I don’t really understand your point.

I'm with Brasky on this.

In football (and used to be in basketball), would drive me crazy when a State fan, a VT fan, MD fan (past tense) or UVA fan, would make a condescending statement when a recruit would pick WF over their school, like it's not possible that an athlete in that sport could pick WF over their school, when the typical WF student likely chose WF over those schools. Obviously, WF is an elite soccer program, and while that is important, the are other factors at play when a recruit, just like a student who doesn't play a sport, selects a school. Maybe he likes the campus, maybe he wants to get away from home, maybe the size of the school appeals to him, maybe he has friends from his hometown at the school, maybe the school excels in a particular academic area. There are a million factors at play.

We have an enviable soccer program, doesn't mean every kid from NC necessarily wants to go to WF.

Yeah, never be surprised if a kid picks UVa over Wake in soccer, regardless of where he's from. Same goes for Indiana, Stanford, UNC, UCLA, a couple of others. Not many, but a few.

Last edited:
It can always be a money issue, too. I’m sure out of state UVa and Stanford are not cheap, but sometimes even equivalent cost schools may have more available since there are very few full rides given out.

I mean, we’ve had top 5 recruiting classes pretty much every year the last few years, and have spent more time ranked #1 in the country than not the last three years or so. I get wanting a local kid at Wake, but there’s definitely no reason to complain about recruiting in men’s soccer considering the results.

Not complaining at all.

some kids want to go far from home for college

different for athletes who have the added consideration of geography for family game attendance, but being close isn't always a plus

So he starts for one of the better teams in the conference, scored against Wake and yet he is not good enough? Aaahhh....OK.

Yes not good enough. When I talk to our coaches they say he could have walked on but it would not have been fair to the kid because he would just be a practice player.

They gave the kid good advice to go somewhere where he can play.

Yes not good enough. When I talk to our coaches they say he could have walked on but it would not have been fair to the kid because he would just be a practice player.

They gave the kid good advice to go somewhere where he can play.

That is the kind of answer I was expecting. Wake must be really strong at his position, (or UVA weak) if there is that big a gap between #1 Wake and #5 UVA.

#17 Louisville at Spry tonight. Dumping rain all day and night...and temps in the 40's.

Nonetheless...thank you, seniors!

Back