• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Men's Soccer 2018 In-Season Thread

Yeah, he was one of the last ones I left out, partly to get a left-footer on there with da Luz and hard to leave Covone off since he went to a World Cup. But he was awesome. Not sure he totally realized how awesome he was. Amazing athlete, too.

Last edited:
McGinty, Woods, or Fontana? Pretty divided opinions among players as who was the better keeper on those mid 90's teams.

That was a really weird stretch where McGinty "went pro," Fontana and Woods came in, Fontana left after a year (I think due to academics?), made the final four at some Florida school the next year, Woods was good, but then McGinty came back (I don't think the NCAA was looking too closely at the eligibility issues for D-I soccer then) and started again like two years after he left or something. I just remember it being kind of odd all around. I think I'll take McGinty of those three, though.

who is on the list of most underrated guys? my history doesn't reach so far back, but Jamie Franks was a rock on those squads

I dug Evan Brown's game too, pushing things forward from the back almost recklessly

Both those outside backs were great, Evan Brown and Lyle Adams.

Kyle Bachmeier was really good on some mediocre teams. Steve Schumacher. David Kawesi-Mukooza. Zen Luzniak might have been one of our best ever had a Duke player not done his knee early on. I think he was one of the youngest capped US players at one point (though it may not have been an offical FIFA match or something). Robbie Dixon was really good, I think?, but also hurt a lot. Amir Lowery. Aaron Thomas. Like I mentioned, I was a big Jelle Abma fan, and I don't think too many remember him. Prob some others.

Stephen Keel somehow carved out like a 10 year pro career, which seems pretty crazy to me.

Mannnn. I’m going straight off the cuff. May have to revisit tmw.

Erwin————Bakero————Tracy
Harrison———Carroll———Covone
Gdula—Parkhurst—Opara—Conger
———————Hesmer———————

Hard to leave our Harkes as MAC winner and da Luz as high points getter. And as y’all know from this thread, I think Gdula is one of the best to ever play marking back for us.

I don't know man, pretty tough, not sure I could do it to fit an actual formation, but maybe something like this (not going to include anyone from the Muuss era or pre-Chyzowych just to help me out): Hesmer; Riley, Parkhurst, Opara, Cronin, Phelan, Carroll, Daniv, White, Sealy, Tracy. Bench of Edwards, Chad Evans, Lahoud, Da Luz, Covone, Schilawski, Arnoux (Valentin, Bone, and Moose just miss out).

But I have a lot of love for the older dudes too, and that first ACC Championship team: Conger, Craig Johnson, Finlay, McGinty (not on the ACC champ team, I know), Raimo de Vries, Todd Renner, John Stark, etc. Jelle Abma was a favorite growing up, right after that era, um, Josh Timbers was great, Ihor Dotsenko, Ben Stafford.

Anyway, I'm probably missing some obvious ones. But that's my best effort for first thing in the morning.

This dude knows his shit. Great list.

Will add Erik “Montgomery Burns” Brandsma, Curfdog, Lonteen, Akira, Wells Thompson.

Edwards, Hesmer or McGinty in the goal ... decisions, decisions.

Gotta go with Edwards. Very underrated IMO.

I'm a recent Wake grad, so I don't know as much about the teams before Muuss, but this got me thinking about the best team that could be made of just guys coached by Muuss at Wake the past few seasons. Mine would be:

Fernandez--Bakero--Harrison
Lapa-Harkes-Dunwell
Bandy-Raben-Politz-Gdula
Ferrell

And that's leaving off guys like Twumasi, Hayes (could maybe switch with Lapa, but after this season I'm not), Servania, and Gamble, all of whom were really talented guys. With the way he recruits, imagining what this all star type team will look like in 5 years or so if Muuss stays at Wake is unbelievable. This team is already nuts offensively, and the underrated best part of this team is the defense, which essentially all played together in 2015 (except Gdula who didn't play much), and posted the second best goal against average in Wake history at 0.58.

Last edited:
who is on the list of most underrated guys? my history doesn't reach so far back, but Jamie Franks was a rock on those squads

I dug Evan Brown's game too, pushing things forward from the back almost recklessly

Ray Soriano
Zlatar
Rice

That's weird, cause Gdula really annoys me. Very reckless, not great going forward, super vengeful.

Personally I won't miss him.

https://youtu.be/Yt5xuUllGbk
We may not ever see a team as good as ‘08. Scoring fewer than 4 goals was an off night that season. Scored 8 once, 7 once, 6 three times, 5 threes times, 4 four times.

Schilawski's celebration against UNC where he fake dived after the UNC player had hurt himself earlier in the match doing that, was brutal. Cold blooded. Straight killer.

May need to change my squad after watching the Boner dismantle peeps in that video.

Chupa, do you remember a kid from Montana who played for Wake in the early to late 80s? Curt something. Can't remember what position he played but I'm trying to remember his last name and thought you might recall him.

Back