• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Men's Soccer 2018 In-Season Thread

A few guys I didn't mention, but I thought were cool guys, were Dewi Hardman, Mark Brereton and Chris Brewer. So since I'm reminiscing, I thought I'd shout out those cats.

This is slightly off-topic, sorry, but any other Winston peeps remember those epic West/Tabor matchups in the early-mid 90s? Peyton Smith, Omari Leggett, Bachmeier, a Wisdo or two vs. John Michael Hayes, Todd King, Wyatt Lee, Nate something-or-other. Wyatt Lee was the best '79 in the state along with Caleb Norkus, both went to UNC, but Wyatt disappeared. Good shit.

This is slightly off-topic, sorry, but any other Winston peeps remember those epic West/Tabor matchups in the early-mid 90s? Peyton Smith, Omari Leggett, Bachmeier, a Wisdo or two vs. John Michael Hayes, Todd King, Wyatt Lee, Nate something-or-other. Wyatt Lee was the best '79 in the state along with Caleb Norkus, both went to UNC, but Wyatt disappeared. Good shit.

Nate Atkinson. Those teams were really good.

Walt's passing created a bit of conflict between the local players and Jay V. Found it odd since Jay was so heavily involved with Twin Cities Soccer Club where they all played. Ultimately, they weren't his guys and mostly phased them out.

How does Akron have such a good soccer program? It's an awful school in an awful part of the country. You'd have to pay me millions of dollars a year to live in Akron.

They decided to make it a priority, so pumped a lot of money into it, and can get anyone into school they want. I think. Had a really good run of coaches with Ken Lolla and Caleb Porter. It does seem pretty odd, though.

Jackie Harrison seems to be taking the brunt of Leeds twitter hate. After a win. Having watched the match, he certainly wasn’t perfect, but to think he isn’t quality is insane. A few inches away from goals. He did give away an awful ball that eventually led to a goal, but damn, the hate is wild.

Starting to see some MLS Superdraft rankings. There will probably be more clarity after the combine this weekend, but here's Ives' first crack at ranking the top 70 (includes GenAd and those holding out).

Don't want to give Ives the click, understandable. See below.

Gdula coming in at #13.
Dunwell coming in at #17.

Also, an interesting development. Omir could leave as a HGP with the Red Bulls. However, they only have one designated reserve spot still remaining. It could be reserved for him, however, they may also look another international which could push that spot out. Zarris (Galaxy) and Parente (Crew) also have outside shots of singing as a home grown. Interesting offseason, as usual when we recruit this well.

Jackie Harrison seems to be taking the brunt of Leeds twitter hate. After a win. Having watched the match, he certainly wasn’t perfect, but to think he isn’t quality is insane. A few inches away from goals. He did give away an awful ball that eventually led to a goal, but damn, the hate is wild.

I've just caught a bit of this here and there, and was a little confused. I'm going to have to read up on it more to see what their deal is.

Man, you aren't kidding. Shitting all over him.

Omir and Aristotle both called into the U20 WC camp.

2020 commits John Tolkin and Bryang Kayo called into the U17 camp.

Last edited:
MLS combines games were held yesterday as well as some measurements.

Gdula crushed the 5-10-5 drill. He also scored a banger in the game, playing both left and right back in the process. He’s helping his stock quite a bit.

Dunwell struggled with the pressure in the game. He never quite looked comfortable and often was bypassed out of the back.

Today they will participating in drills and small-sided games, which will hopefully showcase both of their technical abilities.

Barra Brava tweeted that DC United released Ian Harkes from his contract and he is considering an offer from a second division side in Scotland.

Our dudes have a mixed pro history considering how badass we were for a decade. Maybe this next round of Muuss recruits will make the leap. Gdula seems like a guy who has the game/physicality to kind of fly under the radar in college (though he was great), but end up being one of our more successful MLS pros. MLS is weird.

Damn. Another one of our greats. Raimo was awesome. I can't complain about our recruiting, but it would have been cool to have a De Vries or Conger for sure.

Back