• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Men's Soccer 2018 In-Season Thread

I like Spry, I think it's nice, and we have great fan support, but it's hard to believe it's the best facility in the country - surely the big soccer schools like Stanford, Virginia, Indiana, Carolina invest more money in their soccer programs than lowf

Sort of an odd statement. Wake IS one of the big soccer schools. The men’s team lives in the top 5, and over the past few years has more weeks at #1 than any program.

Sort of an odd statement. Wake IS one of the big soccer schools. The men’s team lives in the top 5, and over the past few years has more weeks at #1 than any program.

Good info, thanks Ron

I love Wake soccer, i'm the idiot that compared us to Alabama football last season. I'm strictly talking about facilities, specifically the stadium. Spry is very nice, I haven't seen any others, and I just expected the D1 soccer bluebloods to have bigger, nicer/newer soccer stadiums. You can't argue that those schools could spend more on facilities than us if they chose to.

I love Wake soccer, i'm the idiot that compared us to Alabama football last season. I'm strictly talking about facilities, specifically the stadium. Spry is very nice, I haven't seen any others, and I just expected the D1 soccer bluebloods to have bigger, nicer/newer soccer stadiums. You can't argue that those schools could spend more on facilities than us if they chose to.

I'm not sure that's really true. Those schools have larger endowments than Wake (especially Stanford) so they do, by the most strict definition, have more money to spend, but a larger endowment does not necessarily mean there are more funds specifically for the men's soccer team. For example, Wake has an endowment twice that of Alabama, but there certainly is not as much financial support of the football team at Wake.

Wake has higher attendance for men's soccer than the four schools you listed, and from the appearances of things (stadium, training fields, coaching and training staff, etc) is also putting more money into their soccer program.

I like Spry, I think it's nice, and we have great fan support, but it's hard to believe it's the best facility in the country - surely the big soccer schools like Stanford, Virginia, Indiana, Carolina invest more money in their soccer programs than lowf

Not sure whether it is the best facility in the country, but I definitely think it has to be one of the top three in game day atmosphere. Not unusual for people to be standing in aisles due to the stands being filled. Even had students climbing trees for a view of the field in our match vs. Stanford last year. Goal celebrations on the hill are awesome. Wish they'd had that when I was at Wake.

I think the fact that Spry is a soccer-only facility is a big benefit. I've watched a lot of matches at Fetzer (UNC) and Dail (NCSU), and while both draw good crowds (esp UNC), I think having a track around the field really detracts from the atmosphere.

Fetzer is trash, but they're building a new facility right now. Ours definitely nicer than Virginia, though last time I went to a game was 07?

Up 3-1 on Duke. 20 mins left. Sweet combo by Gdula and Lapa on the third.

Looks to me like Coach K works with Dook’s soccer team. Lots of flopping and whining going on tonight by the boys in blue.

Not sure how the announcers missed it, but a UNCG player hits maybe Holcomb in the head behind the play for a straight red. Poor form.

Deacs lose 0-2. First loss of the year. We dominated possession in the second half, even before Cuse went down a man, but we just couldn’t find a goal. Such is soccer.

The issue for this team isn’t going to be finding goals. It’s going to be giving them up too easily/cheaply.

Back