• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Men's Soccer 2018 In-Season Thread

Just watched our goals and the finish...WOW. Hell of a win for the guys. I like that they referred to us as a juggernaut too. Feels good to be awesome at something.

Embarrassingly bad offside call against Chol to rob him of his goal. That’s REALLY, REALLY poor officiating. He was on by at least 2 yards.

What happened in the Indiana/UNC game?

never mind, I saw on twitter that Indiana won 1-0. Good.

Last edited:
I think top to bottom Wake has the best home support but I’m always impressed by the UVA “ultras” or whatever they call themselves now. They make a lot of noise home or away.

#1 in both polls. I guess that's assumed these days?

We take on undefeated NC State this Friday. Manny Perez, arguably State's best player along with Gabe Machado, was called into U20 camp this week and will be unavailable for selection on Friday.

Also, I missed this earlier this year, but we received a commitment from Takuma Suzuki, who came to the State just to be around the ATL United program. Pretty amazing what that club has done.

https://theundefeated.com/features/atlanta-is-all-about-that-soccer-culture/

It did not look like pleasant conditions last night. Humid af. Good mid-week win.

We take on undefeated NC State this Friday. Manny Perez, arguably State's best player along with Gabe Machado, was called into U20 camp this week and will be unavailable for selection on Friday.

Also, I missed this earlier this year, but we received a commitment from Takuma Suzuki, who came to the State just to be around the ATL United program. Pretty amazing what that club has done.

https://theundefeated.com/features/atlanta-is-all-about-that-soccer-culture/

Cool article.

Seems as if Aristotle Zarris was also called into U-20 camp but haven't found anything concrete on that.

Looks like he was called in July but isn't on the list this time around.

Last edited:
It did not look like pleasant conditions last night. Humid af. Good mid-week win.

Very good win. It seems as though we're trying to find out best formation and connections early on here. McMaster, while having a couple goals to his name, has been moved around each game as it seems his touch and movement haven't been perfect as a holding forward. Holcomb, Parente, and Aristotle have all looked good up top and replacing attacking players. McMaster seemed better last night when he was tucked in behind with Omir as it allowed him to attack players.

Lapa and Dunwell have been great. No other way to put it.

The backline seems to still be sorting itself out. Raben and DeShields are obviously new partners and with that comes understanding each other's positioning at time. In the first 4 matches, there have been times when they both went to occupy the same place or player and left an opening behind them. I'm high on Gdula and think he's been one of our best players already. Always in position, good size, and excellent crossing. It seems as though teams are attacking Folds instead and he's struggled a little with his defensive role and crossing has to get better.

Edit: And let's talk Chol. If he's not 100%, you could have fooled me. Such a different player with his size and speed. And he's been VERY UNFORTUNATE to have been called offsides twice in two separate games when he's in on goal and both were pretty terrible calls.

Friday should be a good match and great atmosphere.

Last edited:
I was very impressed with Chol last night. He has such graceful speed, you don’t realize how fast he is until he has blown by the defense. He had a great assist last night. I thought the team looked much sharper in the second half last night than they have so far this season. The quick passing play was sublime at times. The only goal we allowed was a dumb mistake by Folds when he tried to dribble out of the back. He’ll learn from that one.

8603385.JPG

MATCH DAY FEELING

Back