• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Men's Soccer 2018 In-Season Thread

Agree with the need for some size. We simply aren't a threat on corners or set pieces and I always worry about defending them. I miss Ike Opara.

We were a one seed and lost to a 16 seed. I'd say that is definition of underachieving.

We were only a one seed because we overachieved in the regular season.

I agree that we need more physical teams to put together a long run post-season. But you seriously cannot be disappointed with what Muuss has done in his time at Wake, can you? I loved Jay V. as much as anyone, but no way I would take him back over Muuss.

Last edited:
Single elimination tournaments really bring out the absolute stupid in people.

For fucks sake please shut up.

Not a soccer guy. My only experience was watching Wake beat Duke this year in a great game and a great environment. Seems like you/we cant have it both ways. Are we overachieving being top 3 every regular season, or are we underachieving by not having deeper ACC/NCAA tourney runs? any good coach should consider changing things up if you don't meet expectations when you have top talent.

This is a tad different than the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Akron was #10 in the nation and preseason #2{not to mention they went to the College Cup last season}...(not a typical 16 seed bc there are not 4 1 seeds given.
Wake Forest dominated the 2nd half in possession ,shots (14>6) and corners vs a team that is used to clocking in with 20+ shots a game. Soccer is a physical game but there is a fine line between physical play and "reckless" which then translates to unwatchable Futbol. The Deacons are a tactical team that will kill you with speed, endurance and ball movement which makes them attractive to soccer fans and prospects. THIS is why Muuss and his staff rakes in talent year after year, this staff GETS IT! Only a matter of time when that second star is stitched on the jersey and BTW........The College Cup returns to Cary next year

For as dominant as we have been in the NCAA in men's soccer for quite a while, we have underachieved in the NCAA tournament as a program only winning one title. I think we have been a top seed 6 times.

Muuss has gotten the ACC tournament monkey off our back. And I think he is a great coach.

This is a tad different than the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Akron was #10 in the nation and preseason #2{not to mention they went to the College Cup last season}...(not a typical 16 seed bc there are not 4 1 seeds given.
Wake Forest dominated the 2nd half in possession ,shots (14>6) and corners vs a team that is used to clocking in with 20+ shots a game. Soccer is a physical game but there is a fine line between physical play and "reckless" which then translates to unwatchable Futbol. The Deacons are a tactical team that will kill you with speed, endurance and ball movement which makes them attractive to soccer fans and prospects. THIS is why Muuss and his staff rakes in talent year after year, this staff GETS IT! Only a matter of time when that second star is stitched on the jersey and BTW........The College Cup returns to Cary next year

Good breakdown.

It’s also a single elimination tournament. Keep having a good team, and you’ll eventually get there.

Impressive meltdown there at the end! I think Zarris was just off, but that shit was tight, man.

Muuss is great and there is no reason to change. Jay V still the GOAT, though I would not take today's Vidovich over today's Muuss for today's college soccer. Muuss is the right guy for us and might be the best in the biz overall. Kids love him, we play good stuff, and we win a bunch. Shit happens and Akron is very good.

And as great as Tony Bennett has done at Virginia... They have certainly underachieved in the NCAA tournament. They finished first in the regular season in the ACC three times and second once and what they have to show for it in the NCAA tournament is a final eight appearance and the worst upset in NCAA history.

Last edited:
In a game where a dominating win might be 1-0, these types of upsets happen. I'm a very casual observer but it seems like these upsets happen more often in soccer than in most other sports? And, when we say Akron was a 16 seed, we mean they were the 16th best team in the tourney, right - not a 16 seed like in the NCAA basketball tournament?

Seems consistent with the Wake Forest Karma to dominate all year, be ranked #1 in the country virtually every minute of the year, and come away with no hardware to show for it...

Right. They were the 16 seed, not a 16 seed, and probably have top 10 talent. Though as was discussed, the NCAA soccer seedings can be a little weird, and I think there is plenty one can question about that. Once you get to this point you will most likely be facing very good teams, and it doesn't take much, so you need to bring it. Crazy shit can and will happen.

Akron-MSU and IU-Maryland in tonight's final 4 after Akron scores 3 goals to take out Stanford

that's as many goals as Stanford allowed in 17 combined previous NCAAT matches

Back