• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Men's Soccer 2018 In-Season Thread

Probs should have posted this in this thread, but:

Parkhurst! In my all-time Wake XI (probably). Was the best player on the best team that should have won something (had Hesmer not broke his leg in the last regular season match) except God hated us.

We were really fucking good in 2003. Hesmer doesn't get hurt, I like our chances.

Hesmer, Parkhurst, Jerry White, Scott Sealy, Moose. Great team.
Like the 2002 team better because you have all those guys and add back Carroll. #1 in the country with no losses until the ACCT (guess who) and NCAAs.

Yeah, you're right. I spaced on that. I guess I was just thinking about Hesmer's injury.

That loss in the ACCT was an own goal, too. We lost to UVa four straight years in the ACCs on two own goals and during a monsoon. I forget about the other one but I bet it also sucked.

Last edited:
Our big (firstish?) win against UVA was in Charlottesville, in 2006ish, also in a monsoon. Right around Halloween. I was there and it was glorious.

Our big (firstish?) win against UVA was in Charlottesville, in 2006ish, also in a monsoon. Right around Halloween. I was there and it was glorious.

One of the drunkest nights of my life watching in a bar in Chapel Hill. Buying Jager shots for the family sitting next to me. Somehow ending up in Durham at a Duke Halloween party that night and falling all over the place making out with a friend of a friend. I think we had a football game in Chapel Hill the next day but I could not make it out of bed. Pretty great stuff.

Yes! We had Carolina in Chapel Hill the next day. Internet says we won 24-17.

Slept on it and woke up grateful to have watched a better part of a decade run with the best soccer the college game has ever seen, culminating in two of the greatest seasons in college soccer history and a national championship. At Wake Forest! Pretty cool to have been sort-of around the team and that close to something after getting your heart ripped out a few years in a row.

Hesmer
Parkhurst
Daniv
Daniv
Daniv
Daniv
Daniv
Daniv
Daniv
Daniv
Daniv

I don't know man, pretty tough, not sure I could do it to fit an actual formation, but maybe something like this (not going to include anyone from the Muuss era or pre-Chyzowych just to help me out): Hesmer; Riley, Parkhurst, Opara, Cronin, Phelan, Carroll, Daniv, White, Sealy, Tracy. Bench of Edwards, Chad Evans, Lahoud, Da Luz, Covone, Schilawski, Arnoux (Valentin, Bone, and Moose just miss out).

But I have a lot of love for the older dudes too, and that first ACC Championship team: Conger, Craig Johnson, Finlay, McGinty (not on the ACC champ team, I know), Raimo de Vries, Todd Renner, John Stark, etc. Jelle Abma was a favorite growing up, right after that era, um, Josh Timbers was great, Ihor Dotsenko, Ben Stafford.

Anyway, I'm probably missing some obvious ones. But that's my best effort for first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
McGinty, Woods, or Fontana? Pretty divided opinions among players as who was the better keeper on those mid 90's teams.

Erwin was pre-Chyzowych, and I never saw him play, so I left him out. Incredible numbers though. Not really sure what college soccer was like in the early 80s, but he sounds like a beast.

He misses your list, but moose was one of the most exciting soccer players I've ever seen live. Would take on anybody at any time.

Back