• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Men's Soccer 2018 In-Season Thread

As requested, here is the in-season WF Soccer Thread for the 2018 season.

WF scrimmaged Furman yesterday and tied the Purple Paladins 4-4. Link: http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/081218aaa.html

First regular season game is Saturday at home against Loyola (MD) - where Skip and Dino coached.

Official Wake website begs to differ slightly. Loyola (MD) listed as an exhibition game.

"Wake Forest returns home for another exhibition against Loyola Maryland on Aug. 18 before opening the regular season against No. 2 Indiana on Aug. 24. "

Correction appreciated. BTW, any reason for concern with the 4-4 result at Furman or are college exhibitions games meaningless?

Last edited:
Correction appreciated. BTW, any reason for concern with the 4-4 result at Furman or are college exhibitions games meaningless?

Preseason, particularly for a team like Wake, is about getting a look at players in game situations, not necessarily about winning. Wake noted that they played 21! guys, including 3 goal keepers. Not likely to see three keepers in a game that counts, barring a really unusual set of injuries.

Muuss commented, "Everyone who was healthy played at least 30 minutes," Muuss added. "We have a lot to figure out in terms of having our best players in the best spots at the right time of the match."

Wake probably got something close to Furman's best shot.

Preseason, particularly for a team like Wake, is about getting a look at players in game situations, not necessarily about winning. Wake noted that they played 21! guys, including 3 goal keepers. Not likely to see three keepers in a game that counts, barring a really unusual set of injuries.

Muuss commented, "Everyone who was healthy played at least 30 minutes," Muuss added. "We have a lot to figure out in terms of having our best players in the best spots at the right time of the match."

Wake probably got something close to Furman's best shot.

Dunwell, Cases-Mundet and several other probably starters didn't start.

Cases Mundet
DeShields
DeZart
Dunwell
Fernandez
Folds
Gdula
Holcomb
Lapa
McMaster
Raben

Staring XI tonight. I would guess this right now is strongest XI, which obviously a different XI from Furman.

Deacs up early. If teams think they’re going to come in and by physical and disrupt our game, I think this team might not be one that’s going to struggle with physicality.

Coming tonight with my wife and daughter, this will my daughters first ever Wake sporting event!

Indiana defense dominating pace of play, we have 0 shots this half. Definitely not the Wake soccer i'm used to.

Last edited:
lol i definitely screamed at that goal and made her cry
9782d832dde5508d1caebec8089dbf01.jpg

D1 college soccer might be the only major sport where a live game can be slowed down by a little confused kid running around with the game ball.

Back