• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the men's basketball program now, finally, hit ROCK BOTTOM?

Have we finally arrived?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From a winning standpoint, I think there's going to be a few more disappointing seasons and we haven't quite hit rock bottom. But one of our coaches just killed a guy. As a program, it's tough to get much lower than that unless we have some major NCAA violations looming.

From a basketball standpoint we hit rock bottom somewhere during the 11 game losing streak (by an average of 17 a game) to close out [Redacted]’s first season. If I had to pick I’d say the 26 point loss to a shit GT team at home.

From a program standpoint, rock bottom actually came right before the start of that season when our AD started a whisper campaign of nasty rumors about the coach he just fired, while our new coach (brought in to fix the “culture”) begged an accused girlfriend-beater to stay with the team and named an accused rapist as captain.

Things could of course get worse than that, on both fronts, but the fall back to that point is further than the climb back to the peak of Wake basketball.

From a winning standpoint, I think there's going to be a few more disappointing seasons and we haven't quite hit rock bottom. But one of our coaches just killed a guy. As a program, it's tough to get much lower than that unless we have some major NCAA violations looming.

At least major violations would force us to clean house instead of sustain mediocrity.

Manning and [Redacted] have almost identical win/loss percentages over a four year period. How are things so much better?

I didn't say "so much better". The team left behind was one of the worst we had in the past forty years and few scholarships were available. The first year (and probably two) were on the former coach.

Don't read this as a ringing defense of Manning. I'm just stating facts.

I've also said "No Dance, No Job" many times about Danny being retained after this year. The only way I'd give him another chance is if we had a Top 5-7 recruiting class, which doesn't look very likely.

I don't read it as a defense of Manning. Just don't see how we are any better off. A full decade from relevance instead of a half decade and we kill people now.

ETA: And we still suck.

It's not as bad as when Danny was hired. It sucks and Danny needs almost a miracle to keep his job after this year, but it's not as bad as when he took the job.

Danny’s all out of miracles

We are worse off basketball wise than when Manning was hired. The losing has continued unabated and we no longer can blame it all on one bad hire. The fact that 4 additional years have passed without any real progress threatens to cement the program as a loser.

There is no doubt that extending the losing from 4 years to 8 years has lowered the status of the program.

Wellman should be forced to attend an Antifa rally wearing a MAGA hat.

We are worse off basketball wise than when Manning was hired. The losing has continued unabated and we no longer can blame it all on one bad hire. The fact that 4 additional years have passed without any real progress threatens to cement the program as a loser.

There is no doubt that extending the losing from 4 years to 8 years has lowered the status of the program.

Wellman should be forced to attend an Antifa rally wearing a MAGA hat.

How?

We are one year removed from a tourney appearance instead of 4, last year’s team was better than [Redacted]’s last team, and we have our first 5 star recruit in a decade joining the program vs. Rondale Watson.

Every time I start to think that maybe, just maybe, I’m being the unreasonable one, someone goes and starts a thread like this and y’all all come out of the woodwork to join the hysteria.

Manning’s meh and being meh after being shit still sucks. I get it. But it’s no excuse for leaving reason at the log in screen.

How?

We are one year removed from a tourney appearance instead of 4, last year’s team was better than [Redacted]’s last team, and we have our first 5 star recruit in a decade joining the program vs. Rondale Watson.

Every time I start to think that maybe, just maybe, I’m being the unreasonable one, someone goes and starts a thread like this and y’all all come out of the woodwork to join the hysteria.

Manning’s meh and being meh after being shit still sucks. I get it. But it’s no excuse for leaving reason at the log in screen.

We fucking suck, dude. Your act has grown well beyond old. Go back to your thread.

Also, Wake put a potential NBA star into the league a year ago.

Over 330 schools play NCAA D1 basketball. Not many schools can even say they put a player in the NBA.

Over 330 schools play NCAA D1 basketball. Not many schools can even say they put a player in the NBA.

You’d be hard-pressed to find a major conference program that doesn’t have an active NBA player.

We fucking suck, dude. Your act has grown well beyond old. Go back to your thread.

You mean 11 wins and a ranking in the 90s isn’t good? Why didn’t someone tell me.

Take it to the “we fucking suck” thread. This thread is for people to pretend not to understand the difference between going 8-24, being among the 100 worst teams in college basketball, and signing Chase Fischer vs. going 11-20, being among the 100 best teams in college basketball, and signing Jaylen Hoard. And that’s not even mentioning the season y’all pretend doesn’t exist.

You mean 11 wins and a ranking in the 90s isn’t good? Why didn’t someone tell me.

Take it to the “we fucking suck” thread. This thread is for people to pretend not to understand the difference between going 8-24, being among the 100 worst teams in college basketball, and signing Chase Fischer vs. going 11-20, being among the 100 best teams in college basketball, and signing Jaylen Hoard. And that’s not even mentioning the season y’all pretend doesn’t exist.

Oh look, here comes cancer to yet another thread! You're full of shit.

You’d be hard-pressed to find a major conference program that doesn’t have an active NBA player.

How many schools have as many NBA players as Wake? CP3, Ish, Teague, JJ, Al Farouq, Collins? And CMM getting a look. Not many can claim half a dozen NBA players. Obviously only Collins is Danny's contribution (so far).

How?

This is a really interesting question, especially considering knowell laid out exactly why he thinks we are in worse shape now than were we 4 years ago in the post that you quoted.

Northwestern, Rutgers, and DePaul snuck into the tournament once upon a time, too.

How many schools have as many NBA players as Wake? CP3, Ish, Teague, JJ, Al Farouq, Collins? And CMM getting a look. Not many can claim half a dozen NBA players. Obviously only Collins is Danny's contribution (so far).

Dino must have been a great coach.

This is a really interesting question, especially considering knowell laid out exactly why he thinks we are in worse shape now than were we 4 years ago in the post that you quoted.

So an NCAA tournament appearance and putting a player in the first round of the NBA draft constitutes "worse shape?" Really?
Maybe it isn't "good enough" but an NCAA tournament appearance is improvement over not being in the NCAA tournament.

Back